2 Saints helped Bennie Fowler land in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

From the film I've seen of BF, he seems to have "strong, powerful hands" & can somehow use that technique to separate from defenders. I also like the way he will extend and sacrifice his body for those difficult catches/chain mover ... something I've rarely seen Trequan do. Just listening at some of the Giant fans, they thought he came up big whenever he had the opportunity.

Bennie is no rookie, has some good playing experience under his belt & will push others. I have absolutely no idea how Bennie will do in N.O., however I'm excited to see what happens with him in this system with Brees/Payton. Adding another experienced WR won't hurt. Our guys not named Thomas/Sanders need to be pushed at the wide out position.

Maybe he will become the guy we were expecting last off season with Rishard Matthews & sticks around.

There is a lot to like about Fowler. If Brees liked him during their workouts, it more than likely was based on his hands and his route running. There are other non-football things to like about Fowler as well since he is a businessman and a published author.

As for the football side of things, he is quite different than other WRs that Brees has liked in the past to include Austin Carr. Fowler is a big WR and has very favorable physical attributes. Below are his measurements/attributes and times compared to the top 25 WRs from last season using the spreadsheet I created earlier this year.

Bennie Fowler
Height: 73.5" = Above Average (72.5 Average)
Weight: 217 = Above Average (204 Average)
Relative Body Size: 2.95 = Above Average (2.82 Average)
40 Time: 4.52 Combine (Average), 4.35 Pro Day (A lot faster than average) (4.49 Average)
Vertical: 36" = Average (36.34 Average)
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.18 = Average (4.18 Average)
3-Cone Drill: 7.06 = Slower than Average (6.88)

Fowler is an athlete that played AAU basketball with Draymond Green and he's been praised for his ability to go get the ball, both on the basketball court for dunks and the football for competitive catches.

It's hard to figure out why he hasn't really broke out anywhere, but it may have just been due to the circumstances he was in. He played for the SB Champ 2015 Broncos and they had a loaded WR unit with a barely effective Manning at the end of his career. Fowler's catch % was still higher than Manning's completion % that season. He then had Siemian as his QB for two seasons before moving to the Giants with the other Manning at the end of his career and then one season with Daniel Jones.

I'm not going to write him off as just a camp body. He may have more to offer than other veteran WRs who have been brought in lately.

WR after 1st 2 seasons......

Trequan 46-10

Michael Irvin 58-7

Julian Edelman 44-1

Cris Carter 44-8

Just a quick sample of some great career receivers who didn’t blow up after 2 years.

He’s a 3rd round pick......relax.

yes but the NFL and specifically the Saints knew what Joe could do and he was paid accordingly. His problem in KC is he just couldn't crack the starting lineup they had back then. But he compares a lot more favorably to the Sanders signing than the Fowler one.
That’s good insight. I’ll take it. I’m excited for this offense this year.

Trequan 46-10

Michael Irvin 58-7

Julian Edelman 44-1

Cris Carter 44-8

Just a quick sample of some great career receivers who didn’t blow up after 2 years.

Trequan 46-10

Michael Irvin 58-7

Julian Edelman 44-1

Cris Carter 44-8

I love it. I don’t see Michael Irvin or Chris Carter in him. That said. After 2 years, We didn’t see Chris Carter or Michael Irvin in themselves either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom