#2 WR just fine (1 Viewer)

In the second half, Drew started to spread it around a bit more. I think we'll see more of that as the season goes on. The dude who really got the offense going was Kamara, though.
Kamara took some scary hits in this game...I felt like it was a good game to see Washington run in...but, if he did, I missed it..

I can't really say I'm disappointed, but I thought Cook would show up more than he did. It's just 1 game, but with CGM, Kamara, and a speedy Ginn all on the field, I had visions of Cook doing a Jimmy Graham impersonation. It could still happen...just wasn't there in week 1.

I felt the same...where was Cook? I saw the two catches..and the recovery of the non fumble..but, I expected more from this guy...he is huge, in shape. The Texans are a good team, I am hoping they purposely took, him out of the game...

I felt the same...where was Cook? I saw the two catches..and the recovery of the non fumble..but, I expected more from this guy...he is huge, in shape. The Texans are a good team, I am hoping they purposely took, him out of the game...
Very much a case of the offense having multiple options and taking what was there / needed on any given play. Remember that Houston has a talented defense, McKinney at LB etc.

The point being, given all the concerns aired over the off-season about the lack of receiving options at WR behind MT, it was in fact just a matter of getting Ginn back from injury and bolstering Drew's choices with Cook at TE.

Ginn has a history of injury, and he is more naturally a vertical receiver rather than a 1 or a 2. I look at him like Armstead and pray for their health but enjoy them while they are here. Down the stretch we have to gamble, as the team has, that other guys can step up. It is a long season. We will see.

Ted Ginn take a bow. It turns out our #2 WR position was just fine all along.

Not shocked.

AK and MT are our 1a and 1b offensive weapons. Cook, Ginn, and Smith's primary job is to run routes that help AK and MT get open. Their secondary job is to
make defenses pay when they finally give in and sell out to stop AK and MT. The Texans actually had the LBs with the size and speed to cover Cook. Not every
team will have LBs like that. And for those teams that do, they'd better have a CB that can handle Ginn all by himself.

In the second half, the Texans decided to make that gamble because AK and MT were killing them. And Ginn was 100+ yards better than the remaining DB they
had to put on him. In the redzone, the Texans' game plan was to do whatever it took to keep MT and AK from scoring. So Drew threw the ball to TreQuan and
Taysom.

There will be games where Cook will be the 3rd bullet in the gun.

Ginn has a history of injury, and he is more naturally a vertical receiver rather than a 1 or a 2. I look at him like Armstead and pray for their health but enjoy them while they are here. Down the stretch we have to gamble, as the team has, that other guys can step up. It is a long season. We will see.
I have to refute your characterisation around injury history. Ginn had averaged something like 14 games per season through his entire Pro career, until a significant injury last year.

Also, a vertical receiver can be as much a #2 as any other.

I feel there's little doubt we have a very capable and (now) healthy #2.

Two players we absolutely have to lean more on are Cook and Murray. They saw limited touches yesterday and in the future hopefully our offense is less one dimensional.

I thought they did a good job covering Cooks. Looking at the game, Drew tried to hit him over the middle but had two or three defenders criss-crossing over the middle. There will be chances and games where Cooks will be the focal point. But seeing how big Cooks is and how well he runs, they really need to find ways to get him the ball. I use to think Jimmy Graham was big. But Cooks is huge. Those two catches were smooth.

I thought they did a good job covering Cooks. Looking at the game, Drew tried to hit him over the middle but had two or three defenders criss-crossing over the middle. There will be chances and games where Cooks will be the focal point. But seeing how big Cooks is and how well he runs, they really need to find ways to get him the ball. I use to think Jimmy Graham was big. But Cooks is huge. Those two catches were smooth.
Cooks, Brandin.

Cook, Jared.

I was glad that Ginn had such a good game... and we even had a significant TQS sighting... that said, the Texans' secondary is not very good, and Kamara is still our 2nd best WR.... Cook is a nice compliment, but is a TE.... we still need a true #2 WR.

TBH, watching Kenny Stills nearly stick the dagger in us.... was almost enough to kill me.

Last edited:
I was glad that Ginn had such a good game... and we even had a significant TQS sighting... that said, the Texans' secondary is not very good, and Kamara is still our 2nd best WR.... Cook is a nice compliment, but is a TE.... we still need a true #2 WR.

TBH, watching Kenny Stills nearly stick he dagger in us was almost enough to kill me.
I must politely disagree. All the evidence points to a productive #2 WR being very much in place.

It might have helped if I asked those of a contrary position (in the OP) to actually define what this 'missing' #2 WR should be?

(Hint: It's not 'producing at a WR1 level')

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom