#2 WR just fine (2 Viewers)

Payton always a little slow incorporating his new pieces. So, I'm super excited with Cooks and Murray going forward. Cooks going to be a crazy weapon when Payton gets some better TE concept and develop more plays for him. Especially, when we does a lot of leverage against coverage with Thomas, Kamara, Ginn, Cook, and Smith in a 3/4 wide set. Can't just double Thomas and Kamara and hope for the best.

@TribuneUK... I swear. If you just jinxed Ginn and he gets another injury. I demand you to make a Trade for AJ Green thread.:p

I can't really say I'm disappointed, but I thought Cook would show up more than he did. It's just 1 game, but with CGM, Kamara, and a speedy Ginn all on the field, I had visions of Cook doing a Jimmy Graham impersonation. It could still happen...just wasn't there in week 1.

I've re-watched the game a bit, the Texans really keyed in on him.
It left Thomas, Ginn and Kamara open a lot, so his presence was felt.
We had some miscues and some poor situational play calling. You'll see him have a big game soon.
He got behind coverage at one point and Brees overthrew him.

That's the pass he had to go up and knock away to save an interception.

What is up with SP and this clock management. It happened last year also, where the Saints needed to get a first down and run the clock out ( other team had no timeouts). That too much time us left on the clock allowing the opps to drive down the field and score. Even though Saints won, it really drives me nuts when that happens like it did in the Monday night game.

Don't worry about Cooks. He'll have his games where he'll blow up and get the lion's share of receptions. Then we can commence to jawing about why Michael Thomas caught so few passes and we're paying him so much. :p

There's 60 minutes of playing time and many quality targets on this team. Cooks had two nice catches. Seemed to provide good blocking. If defenses sleep on him, Brees will find him.

Last edited:
What is up with SP and this clock management. It happened last year also, where the Saints needed to get a first down and run the clock out ( other team had no timeouts). That too much time us left on the clock allowing the opps to drive down the field and score. Even though Saints won, it really drives me nuts when that happens like it did in the Monday night game.

I can't fault them for clock management. Kamara broke off a nice run to get a first down (would have been better if he'd only gained 9 yards) and the Texans burned their first timeout. Next play Murray went straight ahead for a 4 yards - timeout #2. Then Houston blew up a pitch to Kamara and it lost 5 yards - credit the Texans, it's not often Kamara gets dropped for a loss and we were probably guessing they'd be clogging the middle anticipating a run - timeout #3 with 1:41 left. Next play was 3rd and 11 - Kamara off tackle for 5 yards and we run the clock down to :55. The other option was to try to get the 11 yards and a first down, but an incomplete pass leaves the Texans with about 1:30 instead of :50 after the field goal. We should be able to stop a team needing a TD with :50 of clock and no timeouts. We just didn't. The only "flaw" was the failed pitch to Kamara, but that is just hindsight play calling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom