20 Defining Comedy Sketches of last 20 years (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good article

Any to add?
===================

Sketch comedy has changed a lot since its vaudeville days.

Once confined to a stage, sketches unleashed themselves on our big glowing boxes (TVs) before lying in wait on the Internet, ready to be summoned at any moment on our smaller glowing rectangles (phones).

The past two decades have been especially defining for the medium. The Internet, social media, politics, social mores, and public discourse on race and gender have altered dramatically; sketch comedy has not only reflected that, but has also helped propel those changes forward.

I set out to make a list of 20 defining sketches that captured this sea change, starting with the year 2000. For the purposes of this list, “defining” does not mean the “best” sketches, or even objectively funny ones. What we find funny rapidly evolves, and not all jokes can stand the test of time.........

Still think it peaked in the Hartman/Carvey/Myers etc. SnL era.

Oops, totally overlooked that part. Must be my failing eyesight.

Ha! Well for me I have to remind myself that 1999, which was smack dab in the middle of my college years, was 20 years ago and not 10. Damn if it doesn't feel that long ago. So my reference point is always skewed for stuff like this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom