2000-2005 Saints drafts where are they now (1 Viewer)

One must wonder if proper coaching would have improved the drafted players chances of keeping their jobs or if they were going to bomb regardless.

Very interesting. I thought our '01 and '03 looked particularly bad till I saw the Pats and they had some abysmal years, too. I was really surprised. Sure makes it seem that even with all the scouting and the experts and whatnot that the draft is just one big crap shoot.

Here's the All-Draft Team (from 2000-2006)

QB: Marc Bulger, J.T. O'Sullivan, Adrian McPherson
RB: Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Chad Morton
FB: Mike Karney, Terrelle Smith, Moran Norris
WR: Marquez Colston, Donte Stallworth, Devery Henderson, Talman Gardner, Chase Lyman, Mike Hass, Sherrod Gideon, Onome Ojo, Kareem Kelly
TE: John Gilmore, Austin Wheatley
T: Jammal Brown, Jon Stinchcomb, Zach Strief, Mitch White
G: Jahri Evans, Montrae Holland, Tutan Reyes
C: LeCharles Bentley

DE: Will Smith, Charles Grant, Darren Howard, Rob Ninkovich Jimmy Verndon, Melvin Williams, Derrius Monroe
DT: Johnathan Sullivan, Rodney Leisle, Kenny Smith, Jason Jefferson, Ennis Davis
LB: James Allen, Alfred Fincher, Colby Bockwoldt, Sedrick Hodge, Cie Grant, Courtney Watson
CB: Michael Hawthorne, Keyou Craver, Josh Lay
SS: Roman Harper, Mel Mitchell
FS: Josh Bullocks

The Offense looks pretty good, but that defense would be atrocious (DTs, LBs, CBs).

Last edited:
One must wonder if proper coaching would have improved the drafted players chances of keeping their jobs or if they were going to bomb regardless.

I have brought up this point many times.... Were the players lack of development because of the coaching staffs inability to develop young players? Would players like Sullivan, Watson, etc. done anything differently were they drafted by different teams. Would other players drafted in those same spots had success or been in the same boat the players we drafted were? Personally, I think it had a lot to do with the coaching staff, but thats just me.

As I recall, NOBODY did well in 2001. There were the occasional hits, but for the most part, 2001 was pretty much a bad year for everyone.

Baltimore had a pretty good draft picking up Todd Heap, Gary Baxter, Casey Rabach and Ed Hartwell in the 1st 4 rounds.
Buffalo faired well with Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel, Travis Henry, Ron Edwards, Jonas Jennings and Jimmy Williams
Carolina came up big with Dan Morgan, Kris Jenkins, Steve Smith, Chris Weinke, Jarrod Cooper and Dee Brown
Cinci hit big a couple times with Justin Smith, Chad Johnson, Rudi Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Detriot got a couple good players with Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola and Shaun Rodgers
Indy got Reggie Wayne, Ryan Diem and Rick DeMulling
Jets got Santana Moss, LaMont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie and James Reed
Pittsburgh got Casey Hampton, Kendrell Bell, Chukky Okobi and Rodney Bailey
San Diego got LT and Brees
Seattle got Steve Hutchinson, Ken Lucas, Orlando Huff and Porkchop Womack
St. Louis got Damoine Lewis, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett, Tommy Polley, Brandon Manumaleuna and Jerametrius Butler

There was talent there, just very spread out.

I'd like to see where the starters from last year, basically the team we would have had without a coaching change, are.

Off the top of my head:

Brooks: Injured but I'm not sure they play him when he comes back healthy.
Boumann: I don't think he's playing anywhere.
Bentley: Injured. That was just a tough break for LeCharles and the Browns.
Gandy: I think he's been solid but I don't know ho wmuch gas he has left
Stallworth: I hope he works through his injury problems but it appears they are always going to dog him
Watson: He's out of the game, I think.
Sully: He's out of the game, I think.
Howard: He's been solid for the Eagles.

You can't plan for injuries but it does not seem like we are suffering for not having those guys.

Last edited:
Here's the All-Draft Team (from 2000-2006)

QB: Marc Bulger, J.T. O'Sullivan, Adrian McPherson
RB: Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Chad Morton
FB: Mike Karney, Terrelle Smith, Moran Norris
WR: Marquez Colston, Donte Stallworth, Devery Henderson, Talman Gardner, Chase Lyman, Mike Hass, Sherrod Gideon, Onome Ojo, Kareem Kelly
TE: John Gilmore, Austin Wheatley
T: Jammal Brown, Jon Stinchcomb, Zach Strief, Mitch White
G: Jahri Evans, Montrae Holland, Tutan Reyes
C: LeCharles Bentley

DE: Will Smith, Charles Grant, Darren Howard, Rob Ninkovich Jimmy Verndon, Melvin Williams, Derrius Monroe
DT: Johnathan Stinchcomb, Rodney Leisle, Kenny Smith, Jason Jefferson, Ennis Davis
LB: James Allen, Alfred Fincher, Colby Bockwoldt, Sedrick Hodge, Cie Grant, Courtney Watson
CB: Michael Hawthorne, Keyou Craver, Josh Lay
SS: Roman Harper, Mel Mitchell
FS: Josh Bullocks

The Offense looks pretty good, but that defense would be atrocious (DTs, LBs, CBs).

Definitly wouldn't be a bad offense.

based on those numbers 22% of the Saints active roster have been their own draft picks.

As I recall, NOBODY did well in 2001. There were the occasional hits, but for the most part, 2001 was pretty much a bad year for everyone.

Brees was picked in 2001... that at least gives us two good things to come from that draft :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom