2006 draft (1 Viewer)

In hindsight Whinter would have saved us Bullocks and Kaesviharn, but we'd have been killed by analysts for reaching for a safety at #2. Honestly if we couldn't have traded out, and insisted on passing on Bush, Brick and Hawk were the only ones I think we would have even considered. If I could redo it today I'd still take Bush, though.

probably matt leinart.....remember we werent sold on drew brees at that time yet and he was coming off a surgery that could've ended his career

when i found out the texans grabbed mario and we won the reggie bush sweepstakes i almost **** my pants.....as a saints fan it ranks right up there with the greatest moments for me

he helped turn the franchise around and no matter how you feel about his play, you cant deny he was a vital part in the rebirth of our team

We were were going to take Hawk,

I think the Jets offered their 2 ones but we wanted more so no deal, but their are conflicting stories on whether we had such an offer.

I wanted Hawk and Mangold (felt like hawk was going to be a beast)

Hindsight I would have liked Ngata, and Jones Drew

This is what I recall. We were never going to take Mario Williams. If the Texans had taken Bush, my understanding is that we absolutely wanted to trade out of the spot. They wanted Hawk, but I don't think they wanted him at #2. And I think there were a handful of players they had rated so closely, that they would have passed on Hawk as well.

probably matt leinart.....remember we werent sold on drew brees at that time yet and he was coming off a surgery that could've ended his career

when i found out the texans grabbed mario and we won the reggie bush sweepstakes i almost **** my pants.....as a saints fan it ranks right up there with the greatest moments for me

he helped turn the franchise around and no matter how you feel about his play, you cant deny he was a vital part in the rebirth of our team

This isn't true. There was never any discussion at all about drafting Leinart.

I wanted Hawk or Ferguson. But I wasn't upset with Bush. Bush is a good player. The problem is people expected Barry Sanders and got Eric Metcalf.

In hindsight Whinter would have saved us Bullocks and Kaesviharn, but we'd have been killed by analysts for reaching for a safety at #2. Honestly if we couldn't have traded out, and insisted on passing on Bush, Brick and Hawk were the only ones I think we would have even considered. If I could redo it today I'd still take Bush, though.

donte whitner is better suited as a strong safety than free safety. I still dont know why the bills moved him from strong to free safety.

I doubt we would have taken Mario with C Grant and Will Smith. If we couldnt trade down, then either Ferguson or Ngata would be my choices. A trade down would have probably got us Hawk and Mangold though. Or maybe even Ngata and Mangold

That's the key bit that most people will never mention in the whole Bush discussion. I guess it can be equated to if Jacksonville takes Tim Tebow, will he be the best QB they can take, probably not, will it help Jacksonville with ticket sales and renewing interest in the club, definitely.

No matter how Bush plays on the field or even if he remains a Saint in a couple of years he will always be one to me, because he helped keep the Saints the New Orleans Saints. For that first pivotal year Brees was a magician and continues to be but the much more high profile Bush really helped sell the tickets.

Even if hindsight was 20/20 Bush would still probably be the pick to me. Considering Benson was about to move us taking Ngata, Mangold, or Hawk wouldn't have been the flashy pick this city so desperately needed. Football sense, yes, business sense, no.

Bush saved this franchise!

I thought the FO already publically announced afterwards that we were taking Hawk if Bush weren't there?

I thought the FO already publically announced afterwards that we were taking Hawk if Bush weren't there?

I was listening to the WWL live draft coverage during the draft itself, and Loomis said something along those lines shortly after the Bush pick.

This isn't true. There was never any discussion at all about drafting Leinart.

Leinart would've offered similar media attention like bush did.....he was known for getting out in hollywood and getting his face out.....he would've been great for the city of new orleans

also my reasoning is the newly hired sean payton was coming off a great tenure as dallas' offensive coordinator and had just groomed an undrafted tony romo to the starting position....he could've done the same thing with matt leinart who, at first glance, is already a better QB than tony romo

Reggie was getting picked in the top 2 and we were picking 2nd. It was the right choice. Whether you think he is a bust or not. We got it right. I do not think he is a bust. IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom