2007 Free Agents (1 Viewer)

You can think what you want, I'll just leave this discussion with what Julian Peterson said about playing against him with the 49ers.

"I couldn't stand him either," Peterson said. "I told him. He knows that. He just knows how to rub people the wrong way. It's not like he's doing dirty things. He's just like that gnat that keeps on being around you and you're like, 'Man, get away from me.' You're trying to slap it all the time."

And to prove the point, Tyler Brayton got himself kicked out of a game because of Jerramy's antics.

I believe we should "target in" on Asante SAmuel. We have all seen the Patriots "it's a priveledge to play here" attitude towards their players, so we shouldn't have to break the bank to take him from them, though it will still be a substantial contract. The guy is an excellent player, however, and if he keeps up that level, he'd be well worth it. He is only 25 so barring injury has MANY years ahead of him. It would be a smart move that should lock up one corner spot for several years to come.

We should target aggressively:

TE Daniel Graham
LG Eric Steinbach/Vince Manuwai
LB Donnie Edwards
LB Lance Briggs
LB Adalius Thomas
CB Nate Clements

After thought Josh Brown to replace 42 year old Carney
Najeh Davenport has run well and is the type of running back we could ride should Deuce be banged up
Also, very doubtful but if Jared Allen was available for 4th round compensation I'd rather sign him than Charles Grant. I don't think the Chiefs will offer him any less than the highest tender, which would mean 1st and 3rd round compensation

The Salary cap, that was set at 85.5 million in 2005. The new CBA jumped that number up to 102 million this year and it will jump to 109 million next year. We are currently something like 15 million (last projected numbers I saw) under the cap this year. We will have an additional 7 million in cap room next year with the increased cap (it will also increase every year after that). There shouldn't be much problem with the cap.

flemieux, the cap is not the problem to signing ours and other free agents. The problem is cash flow.

Look at it in terms of what kind of money the saints have to spend in their pockets, not using the credit card (even the bonus can be prorrogated in several years)

Drew Brees, 12.5 million
Charles Grant, 10 million at least
Jon Stinchcomb, 3 million at least
Hollis Thomas, 4 million at least
Marques Colston, now this one will be interesting
I am not sure of the contract status of Simoneau and Shanle, also Clark will have to be re-signed.

To be conservative, the saints will need around 25 million dollars just to keep the current roster. This after losing money last year and expending a big chunk of change by signing players and letting coaches go.

We do have money available on the salary cap, but I am not sure how much money will Benson be able to put up, and also, what his intentions will be.

I do also want to bring players, but I am sure we will.

Lance Briggs is "secretly" the best LB on Chicago's team....don't expect them to let him go.

IIRC, he and the Bears are far apart in contract negotiations. Rosenhaus apparently has not endeared himself to the Bears front office by asking for "highest paid LBer in the NFL"-type money.

The Pats are in negotiations with Samuel right now but haven't even started with Graham from what I understand. I think Samuel will re-sign with the Pats and Graham will be gone since the Pats have Watson, Thomas, and Mills. Graham would be excellent with the Saints, his best attribute is his run blocking and pass protecting, he gets a case of the drops every now and then but he has saved Bradys *** on numerous occasions when the Oline was injured or Light simply gets burned.

With a slasing runner like Reggie we need a interior road grader. I see one in Max Starks.

I still think our biggest hole on D is MLB, but there isn't a real gem. Briggs would be nice on the outside opposite Fujita. If we continue winning all we need is a tweaking, and here is what would be ideal IMO:

Max Starks OG
Lance Briggs OLB
Nick Harper CB (debt and competition)

Draft Pozlowski from Penn St. to play MLB

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom