2007 Saintsreport "Experts" Mock Draft - Reviewed (1 Viewer)

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Back in 2007 we organized and ran an "Experts" Mock Draft on the SSF. 31 different people represented 31 different teams (the SSF collectively represented the Saints) and went through all 7 rounds trying to fill team needs as best as they could.

Anyways, I decided to look back and see how I did just for fun. I represented New England in 2007 and drafted (followed by how I faired)

#24 Jarvis Moss - OLB
Height: 6-6 1/2 | Weight: 250 | 40-Time: 4.70

Actually drafted #17 by the Denver Broncos.
Began the season starting for the Denver Broncos before getting hurt in the sixth game of the season and missing the rest of the year. Finished only with 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF

#33 Eric Weddle - FS/SS
Height: 5-11 1/4 | Weight: 203 | 40-Time: 4.48

Actually drafted #37 by the San Diego Chargers
Has slowly worked his way into the starting spot in San Diego. Finished with 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT

#91 Zak DeOssie - OLB/ILB
Height: 6-45/8 | Weight: 250 | 40-Time: 4.62

Actually drafted #116 by the NY Giants
Only played special teams for the NY Giants, though he was active for every game. Finished with just 6 tackles.

#100 A.J. Davis - CB
Height: 5-10 | Weight: 193 | 40-Time: 4.58

Actually drafted #105 by the Detroit Lions
End up getting cut by the Lions and then picked up by the Browns. Was never active for an NFL game.

#107 Chris Henry - RB
Height: 5-11 1/4 | Weight: 230 | 40-Time: 4.40

Actually drafted #50 by the Tennessee Titans
Was expected to compete for the starting job in Tennessee, ended up behind both LenDale White and Chris Brown. Finished with just 119 yards rushing, 53 yards recieving, and 2 touchdowns.

#171 Gabe Hall - T
Height: 6-3 7/8 | Weight: 313 | 40-Time: 4.91

Went undrafted, I don't think anyone even signed him.
Oops

#202 Mike Walker - WR
Height: 6-1 3/4 | Weight: 209 | 40-Time: 4.35

Actually drafted #79 by the Jacksonville Jaguars
Got injured in preseason, out for the year.

#208 Quinton Culberson - ILB
Height: 6-0 5/8 | Weight: 236 | 40-Time: 4.83

Went undrafted, signed by the St. Louis Rams
Activated for 14 games, ended up starting the final game where he had 11 tackles and 1 FF. Finished with 24 total tackles and 1 FF. Was signed by Jim Haslett however so I don't know if I actually get credit for this or lose credit.

#209 Jeff Rowe - QB
Height: 6-5 1/4 | Weight: 226 | 40-Time: 4.98

Actually drafted #151 by the Cinncinati Bengals
Obviously never played. Was the #3 QB every week. He looked really good in preseason though.

#247 Chad Nkang - LB/SS
Height: 5-111/2 | Weight: 220 | 40-Time: 4.58

Actually drafted #251 by the Jacksonville Jaguars
Never started but was activated every game and ended up being the Jaguars top special teams player. Finished with 17 tackles

All in all I thought I did a great job picking players. Most ended up right where I picked them, and I got two big-time steals in Mike Walker and Chris Brown. Gabe Hall was the only real whiff. But in terms of production I was a little snake-bitten, with both Jarvis Moss and Mike Walker getting hurt despite being expected to play a big role for both teams. That and Chris Brown floundered.

But who am I kidding, I picked for the New England Patriots. They only kept 1 of their real draft picks, they'd probably have only kept a couple from this draft (and not had the #7 overall pick in 2008).

Anyways, I encourage everyone to check out the 2007 Mock Draft (the first post has the complete mock draft) here
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24320

We'll be doing it again this year so keep on the look out for it.

Oh, yeah, and the NO Saints draft? The one the forum voted on?

1.27 WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee
2.58 MLB Buster Davis, Florida State
3.88 CB Michael Coe, Alabama State
4.123 WR Jacoby Jones, Lane
4.125 QB Kevin Kolb, Houston
4.126 DT Antonio Johnson, Mississippi State
5.163 CB Ryan Smith, Florida
7.220 OLB Tony Taylor, Georgia

That's right, the SSF actually chose Robert Meachem for the Saints before it ever happened in real life :hihi:

In fact, looking at it, that'd have been as unproductive a draft in terms of 2007 results as the actual draft the Saints had. Jacoby Jones is the only one I think who really played (15 catches for 149 yards).

So this is ALL the SSF's fault! I knew it.

I do find it hilarious that for all the belly-aching on the SSF over Meachem....they actually had chosen Meachem for the Saints before the Saints ever did :hihi: And then in the second round drafted a player who isn't even on an NFL active roster.

I do find it hilarious that for all the belly-aching on the SSF over Meachem....they actually had chosen Meachem for the Saints before the Saints ever did :hihi: And then in the second round drafted a player who isn't even on an NFL active roster.
I know for a fact that you've been here long enough to find the usually ironic and sometimes satirical humor anytime the SSF starts belly-aching about anything.

/it's still funny though. :smilielol:

I took over for San Diego starting in the 3rd round.

I hope we do it again this off season, it helped me to familiarize myself with some of the players that got drafted on the second day

The SSF using hindsight in order to take the high road on issues? Never.

Spam, I was just about to bump up that old thread....I looked at it yesterday....the Saints SSF Draft was BRUTAL!!! Looking forward to yall doing it again this year...it was definitely good stuff....

(and I voted for Daymeion Hughes, Robert MEachem, and Dwayne Jarrett.....YUCK!)

Round 2:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24695

I voted Buster Davis, LaMarr Woodley, and Fred Bennett

Round 3:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58142

Round 4:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58142

Round 5:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199

round 7:
http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25533

I actually voted Usama Young in the 7th....

Last edited:
The bulk of the Meachem bellyaching isn't that he was a bad pick, but that Sean never played him. I fail to see the hypocrisy.

I picked for the Dallas Cowboys:

Round 1:
22. Dallas: CB Aaron Ross, University of Texas
*actually drafted 20th by the Giants
Finished the year with 42 tackles and 3 picks, while starting 9 games. Definitely has a bright future ahead of him.

Round 2:
53. Dallas: OG/OT Arron Sears, Tennessee
*actually drafted 35th by the Bucs
Started all 16 games for the NFC South Champs.

Round 3:
87. Dallas: QB Trent Edwards, Stanford
*actually drafted 92nd by the Bills
Started 9 games for the Bills and may be their QB of the future. Finished the year with 7 TDs, 8 Ints and 1,630 yards passing.

Round 4:
122. Dallas: DT Paul Soliai, Utah
*actually drafted 108th by the Dolphins
Finished the year with 3 tackles and spent most of the season inactive. He struggled with the transition to nose tackle in the Dolphins scheme.

Round 5:
141. Dallas (from Tampa Bay): WR Chansi Stuckey, Clemson
*actually drafted 235th by the Jets
Led the Jets in receptions in the preseason, but a foot injury caused him to sit the year out on IR.

Round 6:
195. Dallas: LB Michael Okwo, Stanford
*actually drafted 94th by the Bears
Spent the season on IR with an injured shoulder

Round 7:
212. Dallas: RB Kenneth Darby, Alabama
*actually drafted 246th by the Bucs
Played in one game and finished with 2 carries for 9 yards and 2 receptions for 16 yards. Showed some skills in the preseason.

234. Dallas: SS Jesse Daniels, LSU
*undrafted
Signed by Carolina after the draft and spent time briefly on the Bengals practice squad in December.

237. Dallas: K Justin Medlock, UCLA
*actually drafted 160th by the Chiefs
After a disappointing preseason, he was replaced as FG kicker after going 1-2 on FG in his first game.

My draft turned out to be a mixed bag. Solid picks on Day 1 and not much to show for Day 2. Can't wait to participate again this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom