2008 Saints Draft B,E Aggressive (1 Viewer)

Haynesworth isn't leaving Tennessee. He'll either sign or will be franchised. Overall I love it! I like the trade and the picks. The only guy I'm iffy about is Samuel. We might be better served spreading that salary out over three or four second-tier guys.

Why should the Saints give Colston or Evans new, huge contracts? They will be free agents in 2 years, there`s just no need to pay them a lot of money now.

Why do you think that Chevis Jackson will be there late on the second day? Did you ever see him play?

Most of the people I have heard talk about him said he would still be there, I always wondered why. The games I saw him play he shadowed his reciever almost all game.

People as in your buddies or people as in talent evaluators? Unless he runs a horrible 40 yard dash, he's going first day I think. He has a great, instinctive break on the ball I think. He had some bad games when he was fighting injury, but he was a solid CB for more than a few years at LSU which pretty much relies on man coverage from the CB's.

I agree with being aggresive in the draft. It is great if you allow the draft to come to you and get the player you want but it often doesn't work out that way. The only way to ensure value meets need is to trade up to a position where you have that player rated. Now if when Baltimore are on the clock there are 4 players the Saints have as top 10 value (that are not QB or RB) then we should sit and wait. If Ellis is the only player the Saints have as a top 10 value we should trade up to match value at a position of need. It will likely only take a 4th round pick. Trading up has worked very well for the Steelers drafting Troy Polamalu, the Saints with Jammal Brown, the Jets with David Harris, the Chargers with Eric Weddle, Baltimore with Haloti Ngata and even the Patriots trading up for Ty Warren. I hope we move up to 8 if there is a defensive playmaker there who can make an impact, because the Bengals will be looking at defense just like us. We're going to need to jump above them and I'm sure the Ravens will enjoy denying Cincinnati the player at the top of their board at that stage

Not a smart draft, Im tired of trading away draft picks. NE and Indy gain more picks than they loose. Maybe we should copy the way those teams do it especially since they usually pick late and continue to add depth.

I hope we move up to 8 if there is a defensive playmaker there who can make an impact, because the Bengals will be looking at defense just like us. We're going to need to jump above them and I'm sure the Ravens will enjoy denying Cincinnati the player at the top of their board at that stage

Agree on this one. The Bungles are the team I'm most afraid of grabbing Ellis. To move up two spots wouldn't cost us harshly, should just be a fourth round pick - if Baltimore gets greedy, they might demand the third round pick instead. If it meant getting Ellis, I'd go ahead and do it. If they want more, forget it. Stand pat and if the Bungles do take Ellis, I'd trade down a few spots at that point and take Rivers (I can't believe I'm saying get one USG player or another :covri:).

Also, I agree with MLU: unless Chevis turns in a mightily slow 40 speed, he'll definitely go by the fourth round, probably third IMHO. A guy who played man-on-man throughout college, played it well, and has good speed is going to appeal to a lot of GMs.

Chevis is very athletic. He played several positions in High School. I think after a good week at the Senior Bowl, you'll hear his name a lot more.

Let's wait until the players under contract either ask for a raise or their contract runs out.

Ummm... No.

1) You can't let a valued player hit the market because you could very well lose him. It's obviously not good to draft and develop a player and then let someone else get him and you get nothing in return.
2) If you have cap space now, use it. You don't know what you'll need it for next season. Otherwise that cap space is nothing more than wasted opportunity.

If you let Marques Colston, Will Smith and Jahri Evans hit the open market, you'll never see them in a Saints uniform again...

I like your draft and don't see a problem moving up to grab Ellis. However, I repsectfully disagree with the FA pickup of Samuels. Yes, he will be highly sought after but I think he is more of a product of the system than pure talent. I'd rather we go for Florence from the Chargers....cheaper, younger, and could easily be our #2 over David. I'm also in favor of going after Faneca in FA. We have youth waiting in the wings on the Oline (Alleman/Bushrod) and I think we need a good stop gap for 2 years, so these guys can mature a little more. Faneca would fit that mold nicely.

If we're gonna go after Ellis, we need to make a run for a solid MLB in FA. I don't think it would be smart for us to start a drafted DT and MLB. Honestly, I'd like to see us make a play for FA for DT AND MLB. Cover our bases, so we have the luxury of moving up or down in the draft or taking BPA.

I'm with the rest of the crowd in that I think C. Jackson will be gone by the middle of the second round. He's had too much media exposure, played for a national championship team and showed he can run with the best of them. If by some chance he's there in the third, I'd say we'd be fools to pass him up....but I don't see him making it that far.

I'm hesitatent to go for any offensive player in the first three rounds. We need too much help on defense and Brees seems to like B. Miller, so it might be tough for any draft pick to see the field on a regular basis.

People as in your buddies or people as in talent evaluators? Unless he runs a horrible 40 yard dash, he's going first day I think. He has a great, instinctive break on the ball I think. He had some bad games when he was fighting injury, but he was a solid CB for more than a few years at LSU which pretty much relies on man coverage from the CB's.

Oh, alright, thanks for the information

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom