2008 Saints Mock Draft 1/13/2007 (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
2008 Saints Mock Draft 1/14/2007 [New Since Yesterday]

Free Agents
<o></o>
CB Randall Gay [<st1>New England</st1>] 6 years 29 million/ 12 guaranteed.
<o></o>
The Saints need a proven commodity at CB to play along side, and for Mike McKenzie, to help out a defense that was torched through the air. Gay is a <st1:state><st1>Louisiana</st1></st1:state><st1:state></st1:state> native and a guy who had proven that he can start and he will come cheaper then Trufant or Samuel.
<o></o>
Draft
<o></o>
1[10] DT Sedrick Ellis [USC]
<o></o>>
Ellis is an elite DT who has extensive experience at NT. While he is not huge he has good size [6’1” 305lbs.] and strength. The Saints need to build a defense through the draft and Ellis is a cornerstone player. Ellis should start right away and assist Hollis Thomas [33] and Kenrick Clancy [32] as they age.
<o></o>
rosebowltlp02ag_1_400.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
2[42] LB Jerod Mayo* [<st1:state><st1>Tennessee</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
The Saints need a MLB that can lead the defense and make tackles. Mayo has had an excellent career in the SEC.
<o></o>
764449.jpeg
<o></o>
<o></o>
3[74] S Tom Zbikowski [Notre Dame]
<o></o>
Zbikowski has the attitude and swagger that the Saints defense need and while he may not be an elite cover man he can be physical in coverage and in the box.
<o></o>
TomZbikowski5.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
4. OG Brandon Albert [<st1:state><st1>Virginia</st1></st1:state>]
<o>
</o>The Saints need some serious help in the run blocking game and Albert brings 6’7” 320lbs. to either LG or RT.
<o></o>
AHMBRVIMRIVQKMY.20070816040731.jpg

<o></o>
5. DE Jameel McClain [<st1:city><st1>Syracuse</st1></st1:city>]
<o></o>
The Saints need a 3<sup>rd</sup> down pass rush and McClain fits the bill at [6’1” 258lbs.] with a sub 4.8 forty.
<o></o>
medium_mcclain.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
6. WR De’Cody Fagg [<st1><st1:placename>Florida</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>State</st1:placetype></st1>]<o></o>
<st1:city><st1>
Henderson</st1></st1:city> won’t be resigned and the Saints could use a nice cheap option that can stretch the field and catch the odd deep ball.
<o></o>
070929_floridaStateFagg_hmed_7p.hmedium.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
7. RB Alley Broussard [<st1:state><st1>Missouri</st1></st1:state> Southern]
<o></o>
Broussard, the former LSU RB, has the size to make a run at the roster if Deuce is not healthy.
<o></o>
p1_broussard.jpg
<o></o>

Last edited:
Looks great. But I dont think we get Trufant in Free Agency. Seattle probably will Franchise him. If they dont. Somebody will give him a Nate Clements like contract.

Trufant will get franchised if needbe.

Are you suggesting drafting Keith Rivers to play MLB?

I love Keith Rivers, but he's a WLB all the way... He'd get swallowed up in the middle.

I think we really need to get a CB in FA, and if we could take care of a safety also, it would help us so we could take a DT first and then a MLB in the second, of course, if there arent BPA. But man if that DT from USC is there at 10........ me likey.

I would like to see us sign Haynesworth to shore up the DL, see if the Jets are willing to part with Vilma for a 3d and conditional next yr if necessary and then go best LB/DB available in the first/second rd. Def would look pretty good going into trng camp.

On Off we need to sign an OG and might need to pursue a WR. I would re-sing Johnson at TE b/c he played well early on and there is no one out there that is a significant upgrade.

Anyway you slice it we NEED a big name/talent Def player via FA to get this offseason jump-started and get us more focused (narrow down the requirements) going into the draft.

Nicely done....love the included pics to put a face to the name of some of the draftees.
Can't say I really recognize some of the names later in the draft but anything that has us signing Trufant and drafting a LB'er early gets my vote as a step in the right directions.

Thanks for the hard work to put that together.

We're really going to have to get a second tier DB probably. Trufant will get franchised. Samuel will get HUGE money. The Oakland DB is rumored to be getting Franchised. Somebody like Florence who had a good end to the Indy game(But will likely get lit up next week) is much more likely. Just being realistic guys.

Haynesworth will get franchised too.

Based off of supply and demand, we may have to go for a corner in the 1st. All the big name free agents will get huge money, like most people have already said. But honestly, I don't care who we have back there if we can't get pressure up front.

I have re done the draft to address some of the issues that people had with the draft.

How is Gay any different than any of the other 2nd rate CBs we've signed? He's just another warm body, imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom