2008 Saints Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
This is not what I want but what I think will happen.

1[10] DT Kentwan Balmer [UNC]
<o></o>
The Saints have positioned themselves through free agency that they only have one major need remaining on defense. Balmer has great size [6’5” 310lbs] and athletic ability [5.25 [40]/ 33 reps]. Balmer is an interior pass rusher that has a nice array of moves to get to the QB. Balmer’s negative is that he was only successful for one year in college [his only one with coach Butch Davis]. Balmer could have great success under coach O and provides the Saints with an upgrade of both size and pass rush at the DT spot.
<o></o>
Kentwan%20Balmer%20large.jpg
494639.jpg
304835.jpg

<o></o>
2[42] LB Xavier Adibi [Virginia Tech]
<o></o>
The Saints signed Dan Morgan [<st1:city><st1>Carolina</st1>]</st1:city>to play the weakside, but he is not a long term answer at the position. Adibi has good size [6’1” 235lbs] and speed [4.69 [40]] and is a vicious tackler. He anchored a stingy Tech defense for 4 years and he plays the game with the intensity that the Saints need on defense.
<o></o>
Adibi.06FBvaclose.jpg
1449-200.jpg

<o></o>
3[74] CB Terrance Wheatley [<st1:state><st1>Colorado</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
Wheatley does not have great size [5’9” 185lbs.] but he has elite speed [4.37 [40]] speed to go with the ball skills that he flashed at the combine. Wheatley is added to a group of not dominant CBs but of good young players that can compete and provide great depth.
<o></o>
20071119__20071120_D11_SP20FBCCU%7Ep1_200.JPG

<o></o>
5. C Steve Justice [<st1><st1:placename>Wake</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>Forest</st1:placetype></st1>]
<o></o>
The Saints lost C Jeff Faine to a ridiculous deal, but they have Goodwin to step in ands he has played well. Justice provides great depth and leadership to the offensive line and could be the center of the future. He is not overly big but he is a solid pass blocker and an above average run blocker.
<o></o>
496337.jpg

<o></o>
6. S Jonathan Hefney [<st1:state><st1>Tennessee</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
Roman Harper is developing into a premiere SS but he needs a real partner at FS. Kesviharn is an alright stop gap but a young play making FS could really put the defense over the top. Hefney is small but he has deep range and can cover like a CB.
<o></o>
tennessee_jonathan_hefney.jpg

<o></o>
7. DT Frank Okam [<st1:state><st1>Texas</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
The major concern about Okam is that he has a brutal work ethic to go with his 1<sup>st</sup> round talent. The Saints can take a risk in the 7th round on the 6’4” 348lbs. pound NT that could be a starter if he would work at it.
<o></o>
okam_frank_m502e.jpg
<o></o>

Balmer at 10? If you're serious, prepare for incoming.

Take cover now! Move it!

ddd

Prepare for incoming...??? Incoming bashing from people who've never seen Balmer play? People who, for some completely unknown reason want to compare the big, rangy, athletic Balmer to the fat, immobile, lazy Jonathan Sullivan? Snore.

Kill me

Balmer is late 1st material

Prepare for incoming...??? Incoming bashing from people who've never seen Balmer play? People who, for some completely unknown reason want to compare the big, rangy, athletic Balmer to the fat, immobile, lazy Jonathan Sullivan? Snore.

Incoming from people who do not believe Balmer will be a top ten pick. They are right, he won't.

Are you his mother?

ddd

Balmer = Sullivan

My problem with Balmer based on draft profiles:

"Inconsistent and has a questionable motor...Does not have great bulk...Has some trouble shedding blocks...He is slow to read and react....Plays with poor leverage at times...Considered to be an underachiever prior to 2007...Could be a 'tweener."
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/kentwanbalmer.html

"Consistency has been the issue with Balmer. He has the talent, but does not always play up to it. He has the strength to push offensive lineman around, but does not always do it. He has the quickness to consistently get into the backfield, but he doesn&#8217;t always get that penetration. Balmer really only had one season of standout play at the college level."
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/kentwan_balmer.html

"Balmer will be labeled by many as a boom or bust type player. His potential is through the roof, but nobody is quite sure if he can keep it all together enough to be an effective player in the NFL. His great physical tools and high ceiling will make him a borderline first round pick."
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1318

Now, I do not deny that he has first round talent, but with drafting, we are measuring the probability of a players success versus pick number (I know it is a little more complicated than that, but this is my basic understanding of it). I just don't think the probability of his success equates to the tenth pick of the draft.

HAAHA

Those draft profiles are why we compare him to Sullivan.

Those are not the profiles of a top 10 talent.

My problem with Balmer based on draft profiles:

"Inconsistent and has a questionable motor...Does not have great bulk...Has some trouble shedding blocks...He is slow to read and react....Plays with poor leverage at times...Considered to be an underachiever prior to 2007...Could be a 'tweener."
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/kentwanbalmer.html

"Consistency has been the issue with Balmer. He has the talent, but does not always play up to it. He has the strength to push offensive lineman around, but does not always do it. He has the quickness to consistently get into the backfield, but he doesn’t always get that penetration. Balmer really only had one season of standout play at the college level."
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/kentwan_balmer.html

"Balmer will be labeled by many as a boom or bust type player. His potential is through the roof, but nobody is quite sure if he can keep it all together enough to be an effective player in the NFL. His great physical tools and high ceiling will make him a borderline first round pick."
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1318

Now, I do not deny that he has first round talent, but with drafting, we are measuring the probability of a players success versus pick number (I know it is a little more complicated than that, but this is my basic understanding of it). I just don't think the probability of his success equates to the tenth pick of the draft.

Where did I see this profile before, I can't think of the (sullivan) name at this moment. Give me a (sullivan) minute and I will remember the (sullivan) player.

Balmer = Sullivan/2

OK, I minored in math back in the days when I was sober all the time, and I like this one.

B = S/2. So S is twice as good as B? Or am I doing it wrong? 2B = S.

And

"Now, I do not deny that he has first round talent, but with drafting, we are measuring the probability of a players success versus pick number (I know it is a little more complicated than that, but this is my basic understanding of it). I just don't think the probability of his success equates to the tenth pick of the draft."

After carefully examining probability, I think he is saying he doesn't think we'll take Balmer.

Two different opinions. Life is good.

ddd

I am not as anti-Blamer and I think he has a lot of strengths and some weaknesses, but the Saints need a DT and he is worth a top 20 pick.

Sullivan had a lousy work ethic and was out of shape, where Balmer was consistent as a senior when he got really coached and has never been accused of ballooning to 350lbs.

+1. Jonathan Sullivan got most of his hype from the Combine. Balmer had his strongest season as a senior under the only NFL caliber coach that he's played for. Just try to keep an open mind, especially if you've never seen him play.:9:

OK, I minored in math back in the days when I was sober all the time, and I like this one.

B = S/2. So S is twice as good as B? Or am I doing it wrong? 2B = S.

And

"Now, I do not deny that he has first round talent, but with drafting, we are measuring the probability of a players success versus pick number (I know it is a little more complicated than that, but this is my basic understanding of it). I just don't think the probability of his success equates to the tenth pick of the draft."

After carefully examining probability, I think he is saying he doesn't think we'll take Balmer.

Two different opinions. Life is good.

ddd

I looked at B=S/2 as meaning Balmer is half the player Sullivan was.

Yikes.

+1. Jonathan Sullivan got most of his hype from the Combine. Balmer had his strongest season as a senior under the only NFL caliber coach that he's played for. Just try to keep an open mind, especially if you've never seen him play.:9:

This is a good point this guy has the potential to be dominant if he gets the coaching that made him stand out as a Senior, oh wait we have a big time DL coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom