2009 Regular season record prediction poll - Ole Miss Rebels (1 Viewer)

Ole Miss 2009

• Total voters

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sept. 6, 2009 (Sunday) @ Memphis
Sept. 12, 2009 Open
Sept. 19, 2009 Southeast Louisiana
Sept. 24, 2009 (Thursday) @ South Carolina
Oct. 3, 2009 @ Vanderbilt
Oct. 10, 2009 Alabama
Oct. 17, 2009 UAB
Oct. 24, 2009 Arkansas
Oct. 31, 2009 @Auburn
Nov. 7, 2009 North Arizona
Nov. 14, 2009 Tennessee
Nov. 21, 2009 LSU
Nov. 28, 2009 @Miss. State

Discuss...

Ole Miss is getting quite a bit of hype coming into the season. Many are proclaiming the return of Ole Miss football. They average #9 in the preseason polls, and I've seen them as high as #5. Is this the second best team in the SEC? :shrug:

They return one of the best QBs in the nation, Jevan Snead. I tend to think the losses on the OL And DL will hurt them more than people think. I'm not sold that they are a real contender for a BCS Bowl or anything like that. Good team, yes. Great team, no. They came on strong at the end, sure, but this is a team that lost to Vanderbilt and South Carolina.

I see losses to Alabama and LSU. All of the SEC games are possible losses as well. Luckily for them they have a pretty soft schedule.

I see 3-4 losses. Going with 3 due to the soft schedule.

No way do the Rebels lose to LSU at home this season, especially after crushing them at Tiger Stadium last year. I put 10-2, but really think 9-3 or 8-4

Historically, we have underperfomed when picked high. We seem to have more success when we are flying under the radar. Still, this is the first time we have come into the season with very high expectations under Houston Nutt. He certainly made a difference in our team last year. I think we have the talent to go 10-2 but it remains to be seen if we can produce with the pressure of these high rankings on us.

If they lose their QB due to injury, their season is toast. The only reason they are favored so much is cause they are the only team in the SEC (besides Florida) who has an experienced stud QB returning.

As long as Snead is healthy, you KNOW he is going to be money. Can you say that about any other QB in the SEC outside of Tebow?

But they are still Ole Piss... they will screw it up somehow.

9 - 3

8-4 even with the soft schedule. Ole Miss is real weak at WR and DB this season.

"real weak" at WR? Sure they lost Mike Wallace but they still have Shay Hodge and McCluster as well as adding a 5 Star WR who will likely be starting (Pat Patterson)

I'd settle with 9-3. I'd be happy with anything in double digits in the regular season.

Ole Miss is, in my honest opinion, the second best team in the SEC. And we don't play the best (Florida) in the regular season. Given Nutt and Ole Miss' track record though, i'm willing to expect and accept a couple of upsets. At least one out of Bama/LSU at home and probably at least 1 other no one sees coming (looking at @South Carolina and @underrated/overachieving Vanderbilt as games that might bring Ole Miss back down to earth when they sleep walk through both of them and invite an upset).

Our OOC schedule btw is embarrassing. To be fair though, we tried really, really hard to schedule TCU. ESPN ****ed us over.

Ole Miss is real weak at WR and DB this season.
No. We didn't lose anyone but Mike Wallace at WR. Granted, you can't replace Mike Wallace speed, but we've got a ton of young WRs who are pretty good and will add a lot of production with more snaps this season (Lionel Breaux, Markeith Summers, and Andrew Harris principally).

We were real weak at DB last season. We're significantly better there this season. Which is still "weak", I'm just objecting to the "REAL weak" characterization ;)

The biggest question marks aren't WR and DB, it's offensive line depth, can Bradley Sowell replace Oher at LT, and who lights the defense on fire like Peria Jerry did. We've got a **** ton of talent on the d-line, even having lost Peria Jerry, but that dude was crazy intense. Someone has to replace the "inspiration".

"real weak" at WR? Sure they lost Mike Wallace but they still have Shay Hodge and McCluster as well as adding a 5 Star WR who will likely be starting (Pat Patterson)

Shay Hodge is an average SEC WR at best. Pat Patterson is a true freshman so it remains to be seen how quickly he can adapt to SEC speed.

No. We didn't lose anyone but Mike Wallace at WR. Granted, you can't replace Mike Wallace speed, but we've got a ton of young WRs who are pretty good and will add a lot of production with more snaps this season (Lionel Breaux, Markeith Summers, and Andrew Harris principally).

We were real weak at DB last season. We're significantly better there this season. Which is still "weak", I'm just objecting to the "REAL weak" characterization ;)
QUOTE]

Um, all you really had was Mike Wallace, and Shay Hodge is a poor mans Lance Moore, Pat Patterson is a true freshman, and Mccluster will continue to be used like Bush. You've been real weak the last couple years at DB and without this class act :hihi: you should be just as weak http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-07-31-hornsby-charges_N.htm?csp=34

Um, all you really had was Mike Wallace

Jevan Sneads numbers disagree :idunno:

St.Stephen said:
You've been real weak the last couple years at DB and without this class act :hihi: you should be just as weak

We have, but the DBs improved significantly towards the end of last year. Marshay Green and Jeremy McGee were converted over from offense last year. At the beginning of the year Marshay Green was Fred Thomas/Jason David, by the end of the year he was the defensive MVP of the Cotton Bowl. For that reason alone we'll be better, but there are a couple of players (Derrick Herman, Marcus Temple) who should contribute.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom