2009 Regular season record prediction poll - USC Trojans (1 Viewer)

USC 2009

• Total voters
USC plays teams with an average preseason rank of: 8, 12, 16, 24, 25, 43, with 6 other teams outside of the top 45 teams

LSU plays 1, 5, 9, and 15 with 8 other teams outside of the top 45

USC has two more tough teams, LSU plays a bit tougher teams amongst the ranked teams. LSU plays 3 on the road, USC plays 4 on the road. I'm not sure that LSU's schedule is all that much tougher than USC :shrug:

Preseason rankings obviously change drastically once the season starts. You have some of the same bs teams every year that get overhyped like ND, teams from the Pac-10 that fall out of the top 25 etc...SEC always ends up on top with more teams in the final top 25 than any other conference.

USC finished up the year beating teams ranked 8,9,11 and 25. They lost to number 19.

LSU finished up the year losing to teams ranked 1,6,10,15 and beating number 25.

The Pac10 isnt the toughest conference out there, but they are a lot better than most give them credit.

Cal, Oregon, Oregon St. are all quality opponents for USC this year. All 3 will be ranked by seasons end just like they were last year. Then throw on top that they play at a ND team that a lot of people are expecting a lot from this year. They play Ohio State who some may say " they are overrated", sure they choke in the postseason, but they are a national powerhouse and are even more dangerous at home and have a phenom at QB.

LSU this year plays Florida, Georgia, Bama, and Ole Miss that will probably end up in the top 25 this year.

USC plays teams with an average preseason rank of: 8, 12, 16, 24, 25, 43, with 6 other teams outside of the top 45 teams

USC has two more tough teams, LSU plays a bit tougher teams amongst the ranked teams. LSU plays 3 on the road, USC plays 4 on the road. I'm not sure that LSU's schedule is all that much tougher than USC :shrug:

This is mentally challenged analysis bordering on braindead. Sorry dude, but you don't think there's a huuuuge difference between playing the #1 ranked team and the #8 ranked team? And an even bigger difference in playing the #5 ranked team instead of the #12 ranked team?

There's only a couple of teams each year that might be able to beat an elite team, every other team on their schedule is just more meat for the slaughterhouse.

I'd trade LSU's schedule for USC's any day. Having to play UGA, UF, Ole Piss and Alabama? Three of those are on the friggin road in the SEC.

Florida has two of the last three national championships, has a former heisman winner + former heisman runner up starting at QB (some say he is the best college player of all time), they have most of their team returning and if we happen to have a great season, our reward will be that we have to play them TWICE!

The SEC has won the last three national championships are in great position to extend it to four in a row.

OSU has already been exposed year in and year out lately. *Yawn* Notre Dame has fallen apart and might as well be Vanderbilt now if it weren't for their brand name.

Tell USC I'll trade them any day for their schedule. If a team wants to make a run towards the national championship, there's no question AT ALL that USC's schedule is the way to go.

Once the season starts and the inflated PAC10 gets exposed yet again, they will fall to Earth. The SEC has constantly proved it's the dominant conference in the country. Why are other conferences even trying to act like they are even competitive at this point in time? Sure, eventually the SEC will come back to Earth, but right now, it's our time. And the PAC10 really can't talk smack, they are the PAC10 for crying out loud. I might respect this comparison for a team who has to play Texas and OU, etc... but come on. The PAC10? USC has to go out of conference just to get a decent challenge.

But LSU's home schedule is pretty terrible. I'd hate to be paying those high-dollar prices for season tickets the last few years. We should have no problem becoming bowl eligible this year. If you could only go to one game this year, which would it be? After Florida, you drop down to Auburn and Arkansas as the next two choices. Then the next tier is Vanderbilt and Tulane.

Such is the price you pay when you become an elite team and only a handful of teams in the country can keep up.

They end the season on probation. That's my prediction. No postseason.

I guess that you would be right measuring the cumalitive strength of the schedule, but LSU is more likely to lose a game playing three top ten teams than SC is playing one and a handful of lower ranked teams.

This is mentally challenged analysis bordering on braindead. Sorry dude, but you don't think there's a huuuuge difference between playing the #1 ranked team and the #8 ranked team? And an even bigger difference in playing the #5 ranked team instead of the #12 ranked team?

There's only a couple of teams each year that might be able to beat an elite team, every other team on their schedule is just more meat for the slaughterhouse.

Sure there's a difference. But it's funny that for all of the talk of SEC fans of "OMG week in adn week out the SEC is tough!!", LSU only plays four teams in the top 45, and USC has to play 6. :shrug:

MLU is right. On a game by game basis ,LSU is more likely to lose to #1 than USC is to #8, but the chances of losing, say, 3 games out of 6 ranked teams is a lot higher than losing 3 games out of 4 ranked teams.

Well, if all things were equal anyway. I'd say the chances of Miles losing 3 of 4 is greater than Carroll losing 3 of 6. :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, if all things were equal anyway. I'd say the chances of Miles losing 3 of 4 is greater than Carroll losing 3 of 6. :shrug:
They both lose to sub-standard teams (because neither coach seems to focus well until the postseason) so it would behoove both to only play top 25 teams :ezbill:

I picked 11-1, but that was before looking at the schedule, which is tougher than I thought.

I bet they lose Ohio St and another conference game. If the Ohio St game was later in the season I'd pick USC, because I think they're a much better team than tOSU. However, I think it's going to be too big a challenge for them going against Pryor so early.

Sure there's a difference. But it's funny that for all of the talk of SEC fans of "OMG week in adn week out the SEC is tough!!", LSU only plays four teams in the top 45, and USC has to play 6. :shrug:

MLU is right. On a game by game basis ,LSU is more likely to lose to #1 than USC is to #8, but the chances of losing, say, 3 games out of 6 ranked teams is a lot higher than losing 3 games out of 4 ranked teams.

Actually I said it first about how playing #1 is much harder than playing #8, huge difference in the caliber of teams. It's much easier to play a bunch of midlevel teams than it is to play several high-end teams and several rent-a-wins. I'd trade USC any day for their schedule.

USC is probably going to be a better team than LSU will be this year... So comparing the two probably isn't fair. You are right, LSU is more likely to lose two or three. But USC is the preseason favorite in the PAC10 and LSU is currently picked to finish third or fourth in the SEC. Florida, Alabama, and Ole Piss are generally projected to finish higher than LSU this year.

Secondly, these are preseason rankings that mean absolutely nothing beyond brand names and complete guesses, so let's not spend so much time comparing and contrasting.

And since when do "ranked" teams go all the way to the top 45? Everyone else goes by the top 25.

You can twist facts all you want, but here's the bottom line. NO ONE can argue that the SEC hasn't been the most dominant conference in college football this decade. It isn't even close. That's why SEC fans can talk about their schedule versus a PAC10 schedule.

If USC's schedule is soooo tough, then how come they keep getting beaten out by SEC teams with similar records for the national championship game? The only year they beat out an SEC team for the national championship was when they were undefeated and were going against nobody Awbarn. This also happened the year after LSU beat out USC and the media convinced the whole country that USC got the shaft, when all statistics and measurements from that year clearly show LSU deserved it more. But let's not open that can of worms.

How many times has an SEC team got into the national championship game over USC, when USC had a similar record? LSU did it twice for their two championships. Didn't USC have one loss last year? I can't remember, if so then Florida did it last year and I think the year before.

USC is a good team that plays in a crap conference. That's why they must schedule Ohio State's and ND's. Both of those teams have been exposed in recent years though.

Bow down before SEC superiority.

If USC's schedule is soooo tough, then how come they keep getting beaten out by SEC teams with similar records for the national championship game? The only year they beat out an SEC team for the national championship was when they were undefeated and were going against nobody Awbarn.
:16:

Bow down before SEC superiority.
Didn't the Pac 10 go undefeated in bowl games this past season? Maybe you should temper your conference pride.

:16:

Didn't the Pac 10 go undefeated in bowl games this past season? Maybe you should temper your conference pride.

Oh God, can we PLEASE quit pulling out meaningless stats and twisting them into things they aren't? First, let's quit pulling out only a couple of games and trying to extrapolate it garbage.

Second, let's take a look at those 5 games since you brought it up, cause I'm not impressed.

The PAC10 has only one January game and three of its seven bowls have MWC/WAC opponents. Additionally, the PAC10 only had 5 bowl eligible teams.

No. 15 Oregon, a slight underdog, beat No. 13 Oklahoma State. But that’s the Pac-10’s No. 2 against the Big 12’s No. 4 that was very close until the final minutes. (Not exactly conference superiority.)

Same with the Emerald Bowl.

Cal, the Pac-10’s No. 4 team, beat Miami, which, based on standings and head-to-head results, is no better than the ACC’s No. 6 team (and quite possibly its No. 7). The Bears should have won handily, but it, too, was very close.

USC’s Rose Bowl victory only proves the Trojans are better than the Big Ten champ runner-up, but we already knew that (the Big Ten stinks). Beating 13th ranked Illinois is SUPER impressive, eh?

Fine, you want another stat?

The PAC10 had a 1-6 record against the Mountain West in the regular season. Woooow. That's impressive! But who cares about any of this? That's just one season! Let's take a look at the last decade and really put the SEC dominance into perspective.

While ya'll are out winning emerald bowls, we're too busy winning national championships to notice or care!

As Laurence Fishburne said in Biker Boyz, "Don't mean nothing without the crown!"

How about this stat? Since 2000, SEC National Titles = 4, PAC10 National Titles = 1.

PAC10 needs to try to step to the Big12 first before trying to step to the SEC. The Big12 has two, and they are the second highest conference in terms of national championships this decade.

And guess what, the SEC is just getting started too...

The SEC has won 3 out of the last 3 national titles and is favored to make it four in a row this year... how about that for dominance?

"When you step to me kid, you better come correct."

The SEC's recently finalized 15-year, $3 billion deal with CBS, ESPN and others proves that the SEC is king baby! It is the longest TV deal in the history of sports and shows the staying power of SEC dominance. They put their money on the SEC, not the PAC10.

Have fun fighting for our scraps.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom