2009 Regular season record prediction poll - USC Trojans (1 Viewer)

USC 2009

• Total voters
Individual fans of the individual teams in the SEC or individual fans of the collective SEC conference as a whole?

I support my teams firsthand.. MSU/UGA.. If any other SEC team is playing a team other than one of my teams, i will pull for them. Its just conference pride (except Ole Miss). Quite simple, i thought.

Do "SEC fans" wear shirts that say "SEC" on them? :shrug:

Actually, yeah the majority of my State or UGA shirts have SEC on them somewhere.

:idunno:

I support my teams firsthand.. MSU/UGA.. If any other SEC team is playing a team other than one of my teams, i will pull for them. Its just conference pride (except Ole Miss). Quite simple, i thought.

Actually, yeah the majority of my State or UGA shirts have SEC on them somewhere.

Wait... you're a UGA fan AND you enjoy watching Florida win national championships?!? That is seriously messed up.

I have a pair of WAC athletic shorts that came in a gift bag that my wife got at her conference tennis tournament.

I'm going to start wearing them to work over my slacks on Fridays to show my conference pride.

Wait... you're a UGA fan AND you enjoy watching Florida win national championships?!? That is seriously messed up.

Florida winning national championship = $$$ in UGA's bank through numerous indirect means such as increased tv contracts, increased interest in the UGA Florida series, and a million other ways.

Increased money in UGA's bank = nicer stadiums, facilities, etc.

Nicer stadiums and facilities = better recruiting classes and more enjoyable for fans to watch the game.

Better recruiting classes = better records and potential for more national championships.

Here's the flip side... Look at what happened to the Big Ten's reputation as a whole after OSU has been blown out of the national championship game so many times. They are now the joke of the sports world. You have articles written constantly about how you shouldn't allow the Big Ten winner to play in the national championship game again, etc. There's now less national interest in the entire conference, recruits think your school is a joke and you will make less money than you otherwise would have, etc.

Face it, you are bound financially and reputation wise to every team in your conference. You need them to do well when it doesn't affect your individual season. This isn't rocket science people...

Florida winning national championship = $$$ in UGA's bank through numerous indirect means such as increased tv contracts, increased interest in the UGA Florida series, and a million other ways.

Nicer stadiums and facilities = better recruiting classes and more enjoyable for fans to watch the game.

Better recruiting classes = better records and potential for more national championships.

Here's the flip side... Look at what happened to the Big Ten's reputation as a whole after OSU has been blown out of the national championship game so many times. They are now the joke of the sports world. You have articles written constantly about how you shouldn't allow the Big Ten winner to play in the national championship game again, etc. There's now less national interest in the entire conference, recruits think your school is a joke and you will make less money than you otherwise would have, etc.

Face it, you are bound financially and reputation wise to every team in your conference. You need them to do well when it doesn't affect your individual season. This isn't rocket science people...
:jpshakehead:

Doesn't the "except Ole Miss" part kind of null your entire argument? All of these teams are your direct competition. The better they do the worse you do.

Even if that was true, what does that have to do with anything? Whether you root for other teams to win/lose does not have any bearing on whether they actually win or lose. Basically, you're enjoying another teams success. I don't get excited when Florida or Alabama do well just like I don't get excited when Carolina or Atlanta do well. I want them all to fail, spectacularly.

And looking over your above comments, do you think recruits line up to play for the winner or the team that is in the same conference as the winner? What kind of logic is that?

Auburn 2004. Whoops.

Well i hate Florida on gameday in Jacksonville, but if they are playing Oklahoma in the NC, im going to pull for Florida.

Doesn't the "except Ole Miss" part kind of null your entire argument? All of these teams are your direct competition. The better they do the worse you do.

I was born in maroon and white.. Both parents went to State and dad signed there out of JUCO and messed up his back and knee ending his football career so i have despised Ole Miss every since i can remember.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

If that is not true for you then I honestly question your fandom for your team. I mean college football fandom, IMO, is almost completely irrational. Only thing that makes sense is that you like the school you attended.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

If that is not true for you then I honestly question your fandom for your team. I mean college football fandom, IMO, is almost completely irrational. Only thing that makes sense is that you like the school you attended.

Are you talking about me??

If so, question my fandom all you want.. Ive been going to State games since i was 3.. Im not a diehard UGA fan but ive been following them for quite a few years in baseball and football.. As for the last sentence, thats just.. Im not even going to comment.. I guess i missed the rule that says you can only like the team where you went to school..

anyone who hopes their conference foes lose their OOC games doesnt understand the BCS

*there are rare exceptions

anyone who hopes their conference foes lose their OOC games doesnt understand the BCS

*there are rare exceptions
There is a huge difference between being in a strong conference and rooting for your enemies. Again, Florida is not going to play OU any tougher because :secguy: is pulling for them, but :secguy:, who just happens to be a fan of a team that should hate Florida, is now deriving pleasure out of Florida's accomplishments. That's perverse.

Its laughable to think that pulling for your conference is justified because a strong conference gets perks and you might be able to recruit better in the long run. For one, recruiting is so fickle that its hard to tell what any recruit is really looking for. I don't think USC recruits care that :secguy: thinks the Pac 10 is weak. I don't think Notre Dame recruits care that :secguy: is confused that ND isn't in a conference. I don't think Vandy recruits were beating down the door to sign with the Commodores because of the allure of the being rooted for by :secguy:.

There is a huge difference between being in a strong conference and rooting for your enemies. Again, Florida is not going to play OU any tougher because :secguy: is pulling for them, but :secguy:, who just happens to be a fan of a team that should hate Florida, is now deriving pleasure out of Florida's accomplishments. That's perverse.

Its laughable to think that pulling for your conference is justified because a strong conference gets perks and you might be able to recruit better in the long run. For one, recruiting is so fickle that its hard to tell what any recruit is really looking for. I don't think USC recruits care that :secguy: thinks the Pac 10 is weak. I don't think Notre Dame recruits care that :secguy: is confused that ND isn't in a conference. I don't think Vandy recruits were beating down the door to sign with the Commodores because of the allure of the being rooted for by :secguy:.

Thats the great thing about it.. Thats just your opinion.

Even if that was true, what does that have to do with anything? Whether you root for other teams to win/lose does not have any bearing on whether they actually win or lose. Basically, you're enjoying another teams success. I don't get excited when Florida or Alabama do well just like I don't get excited when Carolina or Atlanta do well. I want them all to fail, spectacularly.

And looking over your above comments, do you think recruits line up to play for the winner or the team that is in the same conference as the winner? What kind of logic is that?

Auburn 2004. Whoops.

1. If you want to be the best, then you should beat the best. (That doesn't always happen in college football, but for the most part it's true.)
2. If you want what is best for your school, then you will root for your conference schools against out of conference competition (unless the outcome directly affects your season.) A strong conference is what is best for your individual school, so naturally you want it to remain strong and prove itself. How much fun is watching a game every year against teams you think are worthless?
3. When you play a game, you either win, lose or tie. If you win, don't you want to beat a great team and be able to brag about it? If you lose, don't you want to have lost to a great team instead of a crappy one? etc.

4. Not every top recruit can play for Florida or their favorite school, so you go to the next best thing. Playing on teams that play Florida (or whatever team.) So yes, I do think recruits will pick a school just because of conference affiliation. FURTHERMORE, how can you really prove yourself as a football player unless you play top-notch competition? The NFL likes players from strong conferences better on draft day typically as they have proved themselves more. Elite recruits don't want to play against crap teams the entire year. How many Vandie players do you think would bail from Vandie to go start at Florida or LSU if they could go be a star there? Probably a bunch, but not everyone can do that so some great players end up at Vandie.
5. 35 of the 150 prospects who made the cut are committed to SEC schools. No other conference is close to those numbers at this point. The Big 12 is second overall with 19 commitments among the top 150, and the Big Ten is third with 12. Just two schools (the SEC's third and fourth schools on the list no less!) with most top 150 prospects combined has as many top 150 as the entire big ten conference!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-8-33/New-ESPNU-150-list-has-a-definite-SEC-flavor.html

But yes, undefeated awbarn was a blackmark on the SEC, but fortunately for everyone, LSU and Florida both repaired our reputation this decade.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom