2009 Saints at Redskins Highlights (1 Viewer)

t-rex23

I Owe Drew
Reaction score
I've been watching old highlight packages of the 2009 season just for fun. This game gets a little overshadowed by the Miami comeback but this was an incredible win. This is a game that we should have lost. Cold, outdoor road game where things don't go well for us early. It would have been really easy drop this one but the team dug deep and pulled out a huge win.

Some notes:

-This was a division clincher for us.

-Hell of a game for Meachem. Not only did he pull of one of the greatest plays in franchise history, he had 8 catches for 142 yds and 2 total touchdowns.

-Bush (5 touches, 28 yards) , Shockey (4 catches 47 yards) and Colston (2 catches 46 yards 1 TD) were really held in check. We relied on Meachem, Pierre and Henderson to move the ball.

-Dreadful day running the ball. Mike Bell was the leading rusher with 16 carries for 34 yards. We were stuffed mulitiple times on short yardage.

-Shockey and David Thomas combined for 7 catches and 78 yards. It's pretty cool to see how much we used 2 tight ends in 2009. In 09 you wouldn't have considered Shockey or Thomas as "elite athletes" but the Saints were able to use their versatility to extract a lot of value.

This is definitely one of my favorite games. I can feel the anxiety now that I had watching it 11 years ago.

I was in the stadium that afternoon on the 5 yard line lower level. We went to grab beers right before halftime and as we're walking back to our seats the play is going on. Meachem strips it and takes off and scores right in front of us while we go nuts, spilling the $9 beers we just bought everywhere. The Deadskins fans got extremely cocky towards the end of the game and right as Shuisam is about to put the nail in the coffin, a guy 2 or 3 rows back yells out to us "Thanks for comin'!" And the rest is history.

For the OG's of SR, this was also the genesis of the Unknown Who Dat :covri:.

That season had a lot if great comebacks. This, Carolina, Miami, Minny and the Superbowl.

Living in the Buffalo area, there aren’t many Saints fans at bars on NFL Sundays. I vividly remember this game causing some funny looks toward the only Who Dat in the place. Everyone got a shot of Bushmills (for Reggie) after that Hartley FG in OT.

Even as I watch now I am saying what I probably was saying during the game, this D will never win a Super Bowl.

Drew could sling the ball 50 yards no problem back. I miss the Brees in his prime :(

Kinda strange I know more players by their jersey number on that 09 than our current team. Is that a good or bad thing?

Malcolm Jenkins was getting toasted that day. :shrug:
I know he looked terrible. He just wasn't an outside corner.

The secondary as a whole was really not great that year. They would be destroyed all game but come up huge when it mattered most.

With that offense, that was more than enough.

Man i was watching highlights of last year and the games L Train was in for AK he was killing. Taysom was everywhere beasting. MT was MT. Bruh I hope this year is gonna be 10 times better. Now with E Sanders and Cook with another year man it seems so freaking stout. With AK hopefully he will beast this year for an extension. Cant wait.

Was at the game with my family....it was awesome...

If you'll remember it was cold that day because it had snowed almost all day the day before.

The lights at the stadium lean forward over the crowd and the catwalks had a buildup of snow that slowly melted through the afternoon. I know because I was sitting right under one of the lights and there was a constant drip from it.

Having seats on the shady side of the stadium didn't help either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom