2010 Mayoral Race (1 Viewer)

JeffDaSaintsGuy

Official SR Twitter Team
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Qualifying for the 2010 New Orleans Mayoral election is 6 months away. Who do you think the candidates will be, and who do you think will be the next mayor? Who would you really like to see run, but probably won't? I am really curious what the vibe is right now.

After Nagin's tenure, I would vote for a potted plant that was wearing a pair of cartoonishly-big sunglasses and feel like it was an improvement.

That said, I think Fielkow, Jackie Clarkson, and Mitch "my big sissy is a Senator" Landrieu will all make a run for mayor. (you can also insert the name of random black candidate that will have the backing of the minister goon-squad i.e. Paulette Irons, Willard-Lewis, etc)

My dark horse to make a run: Helena Moreno

Fielkow is a possibility. He would probably be pretty good, and he should have high popularity.

If Landrieu runs, (and I am sure he will), he's a shoe in. He should have won last time and things would have been a little better.

I think that the "councill e-mail" leak was part of a plan to keep Arnie from winning. I think Clarkson will try, but she is really lucky just to have a seat right now.. I think she has lost a lot of support over the last few years. I think Troy Carter will be back to make a push, as will Cynthia Morell.

I would love to see Garland Robinette would run, but I don't think that he wants to put up with the garbage.

Who will the Morial - Jefferson machine put up?

I think that the "councill e-mail" leak was part of a plan to keep Arnie from winning. I think Clarkson will try, but she is really lucky just to have a seat right now.. I think she has lost a lot of support over the last few years. I think Troy Carter will be back to make a push, as will Cynthia Morell.

I would love to see Garland Robinette would run, but I don't think that he wants to put up with the garbage.

Who will the Morial - Jefferson machine put up?

Uhhhh, that machine is currently under repair:

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/01/william_jeffersons_bribery_tri.html and

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-34/123968642544620.xml&coll=1

If Landrieu runs, (and I am sure he will), he's a shoe in. He should have won last time and things would have been a little better.

I agree. He's going to benefit from the same buyer's remorse that made Jindal a shoo in for governor after he lost to Blanco and things went to crap.

Mitch is tied into the same "good old boy" political machine that has ruined this city for decades. He would be no better than Nagin or Morial.

Mitch is tied into the same "good old boy" political machine that has ruined this city for decades. He would be no better than Nagin or Morial.

I disagree. Ray Nagin is the absolute worst mayor in the history, present, or future of mayors, hands down. Landrieu would be a vast improvement, political machine or not.

Mitch would be an upgrade over Nagin. He wouldnt take us from good to great, but he'd take us from abominable to hovering around average.

Personally, I think it's going to be Mitch v. John Georges, unless a singular black candidate emerges over the next few months.

Georges doesnt need to raise a cent and can still outspend everyone 50 to 1. Got this email the other day:

Civic Leader Launches UniteNola.com web site
Highlights citizens and organizations that are getting things done

( New Orleans , LA ) – Civic Leader John Georges launched www.UniteNola.com today to bring attention to what unites the citizens of New Orleans rather than what divides us.
“Unity is not just about race, it’s about people and neighborhoods coming together and restoring our pride in our city,” Georges said.

The site takes aim at political and business leaders who focus on what divides people and it contends that there is more that unites us. Unity is offered as the key to accomplish the fundamentally common goals of citizens.
“For the most part, everyone in New Orleans wants the same thing, an honest and effective government. We all want playgrounds, repaired streets, safe streets, better jobs with livable wages, good schools, access to health care and affordable housing, so let’s start with solutions we can agree on,” Georges said.

The website highlights how faith based groups, non profits, neighborhood groups and small businesses have come together to make the city better and are a model for the big picture of our city’s full recovery.
“We just don't see our political leaders getting things done. They spend more time criticizing each other and promoting our failures rather than making things happen,” Georges said. “Meanwhile, our faith based groups, our non profits, our private citizens and our neighborhood groups have organized and started getting things done themselves.”

John Georges was a candidate for governor in 2007 and carried New Orleans . He issued a specific plan to move Louisiana forward called the Georges Plan. He also signed the Blueprint for Louisiana pledge and was the only gubernatorial candidate to attend the rally in Jena .

He has been active in a host of civic endeavors. During his 6-year term on the Louisiana Board of Regents, the governing board of the state’s public university and community college system, a slate of reforms were ushered in. Since 1998 he has served on the Board of Commissioners of the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad, and has also served on the Board of Trustees of his children’s school.

John is a member of the New Orleans Business Council, a Crime Stoppers trustee, and a former member of the New Orleans Chamber, LSU Medical Foundation, the UNO Foundation and Tulane President’s Council. From 2003-2006, he served of President of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church on Bayou St. John.

John has been active in anti-crime and corruption initiatives, the reform of the regional levee boards, and supports coastal wetlands protection and restoration.

Personally and through his company, Georges Enterprises, John's philanthropy supports a diverse group of charities throughout the community with an emphasis on education, preservation, and faith-based initiatives.
Visit and follow www.UniteNola.com for examples of unity found throughout the city and how we build upon what is working in our community.

Hello Mayor's Race. He's going to blast Arnie out of the water before Arnie even files papers to run. He wont be able to run Mitch off due to Mitch's last name. And he'll buy up enough ministers to get a decent enough amount of black support. (My theory, anyway).

As between the two, I'd vote for Mitch. I used to think it was a good idea to have a non-politician running the executive branch. After 8 years of Nagin and Bush, I don't think that any more.

Last edited:
I will say it comes down to Mitch, Arnie and Councilman James Carter.

My two cents.

st. dave

Mitch would be an upgrade over Nagin. He wouldnt take us from good to great, but he'd take us from abominable to hovering around average.

Personally, I think it's going to be Mitch v. John Georges, unless a singular black candidate emerges over the next few months.

Hello Mayor's Race. He's going to blast Arnie out of the water before Arnie even files papers to run. He wont be able to run Mitch off due to Mitch's last name. And he'll buy up enough ministers to get a decent enough amount of black support. (My theory, anyway).

As between the two, I'd vote for Mitch. I used to think it was a good idea to have a non-politician running the executive branch. After 8 years of Nagin and Bush, I don't think that any more.

First off, I don't think you will EVER see a Mayoral runoff in New Orleans without a major black candidate. But, with that being said, I think that a black candidate would have a more difficult time pulling the "black vote" now than in years past. I think people are really fed up with the corruption, and with the "Race Card" being thrown at them. Stacy Head is the perfect example of that. As she was called a "Racist" by a black group, many black residents (even outside of her district) came to her defense.

Mitch Landrieu is not going to run for Mayor AGAIN. He has lost four time already. If anything, I think he would like to run for Governor (Again). He is a typical Landrieu "Career Politician." To your point about Nagin coming from a non political background...

I think that what most people don't realize is that Ray Nagin was very politically involved before he ran for office. He was also noting more than "middle managment" at Cox Communications. He made himself out to be a whole lot more. When he became mayor, he had a lot of "invisible" cash that supported him. Im sure if you tried hard enough, you could connect the dots to where that money came from. I think the biggest differences with Fielkow are A) He held a high ranking position with an organization where he had to make the make or break decisions. and B) He has proven to be an honest and hard working public official. I think he is more than qualified to run for Mayor in 2010.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom