2011 MVPs, Surprises, and Disappointments (1 Viewer)

Rogers and Franklin are being used as NT's. Their job isn't to get sacks. Ellis has been a disappointment, especially in a year where we finally gave him some legit NT's to work with. Jordan doesn't get many pass rushing opportunities and he's been almost there a bunch of times.

Still the LB Corp for me, they've improved lately but for most of the year they've been atrocious. Missed tackles and they've been at fault for nearly every big run against our defense because they plugged the wrong gap. I'm just glad Wilson is starting to get reps. I feel that he'll be used a lot more in the playoffs, a new wrinkle to our defense that teams don't have much game tape on.

You are right JD, regarding the NTs and sack numbers and maybe I should not have included those guys. While cutting Jordan some slack with the points you mentioned, coupled with the short training camp and I had to choose one guy this year who was most disappointing to me on D: I'd say Ellis and I have been big on this guy since day 1. However, he (Ellis) seems to be playing better as of late.

Who or what unit would you say have been most disappointing this year, on Defense?

Well, the disappointment has changed throughout the season.

In the beginning, I shook my head at the front four because they couldn't get any pressure or stop the running game. While they still have trouble creating pressure, it isn't as hard to watch because they have really ramped up their run stopping ability. Sean Rogers looked like a bust in the beginning of the season, but he's now come into his own and no one can run up the middle now. And Junior was bringing some heat off the edge last night. Jordan still has trouble creating pressure and the Fresh Prince looks like he's lost a step, but their push has improved as the season has gone on. All in all, I think this is our strongest defensive unit heading into the playoffs.

Towards the middle of the season, my disappointment shifted to the linebackers as tight ends and backs out of the backfield still appeared to be the Achilles' heel. Now with Vilma back and Shanle actually playing well, it's pretty fun to watch. We all thought at the beginning of the season that linebacker play would be a weakness (and for most of the season it was), but they've actually become a pretty solid unit for the most part.

Now, it's moved on to the secondary. While they haven't been giving up the huge pass plays they were in the beginning of the season, they're still playing ten yards off the line of scrimmage and allowing quarterbacks to dink and dunk all the way down to the red zone. It's frustrating at times. And, it doesn't help that the vaunted 2009 intercepting machine of a secondary has seemed to grow stone hands over the past two years. Although, it seems that Quddus brings a swagger that Sharper had, so I'll try to be cautiously optimistic heading into the playoffs.

Well, the disappointment has changed throughout the season.

In the beginning, I shook my head at the front four because they couldn't get any pressure or stop the running game. While they still have trouble creating pressure, it isn't as hard to watch because they have really ramped up their run stopping ability. Sean Rogers looked like a bust in the beginning of the season, but he's now come into his own and no one can run up the middle now. And Junior was bringing some heat off the edge last night. Jordan still has trouble creating pressure and the Fresh Prince looks like he's lost a step, but their push has improved as the season has gone on. All in all, I think this is our strongest defensive unit heading into the playoffs.

Towards the middle of the season, my disappointment shifted to the linebackers as tight ends and backs out of the backfield still appeared to be the Achilles' heel. Now with Vilma back and Shanle actually playing well, it's pretty fun to watch. We all thought at the beginning of the season that linebacker play would be a weakness (and for most of the season it was), but they've actually become a pretty solid unit for the most part.

Now, it's moved on to the secondary. While they haven't been giving up the huge pass plays they were in the beginning of the season, they're still playing ten yards off the line of scrimmage and allowing quarterbacks to dink and dunk all the way down to the red zone. It's frustrating at times. And, it doesn't help that the vaunted 2009 intercepting machine of a secondary has seemed to grow stone hands over the past two years. Although, it seems that Quddus brings a swagger that Sharper had, so I'll try to be cautiously optimistic heading into the playoffs.

Very well stated and accurate imo. You raise some good points. Thanks for the input.

Bree's is still underrated. Crazy as it sounds, I still believe it.

Best impersonation of an Offensive Coordinator: Pete Carmichael, I didn't even know his name before Payton got hurt.

Isa Abdul Quddus for roty for me, ingram hasnt really brought anything and neither has cam jordan. wilson and patrick have had to few snaps to make a difference

I'd say that overall the biggest disappointment has been the whole draft class. Jordan has played well as of late and Ingram has flashed some ability but for the most part it's been very ho hum.

I like this thread!

Player you're glad isn't on the team any more?

Jeremy Shockey (after his behavior in the first Car. game)

I like this thread!

Player you're glad isn't on the team any more?

Jeremy Shockey (after his behavior in the first Car. game)

Absolutely, good call. To think that I was a big Shockey homer; he has now left a bad taste in my mouth after the 1st CAR game.

Bree's is still underrated. Crazy as it sounds, I still believe it.

Best impersonation of an Offensive Coordinator: Pete Carmichael, I didn't even know his name before Payton got hurt.

Good Call.
Lack of respect award outside WhoDat Nation: Drew Brees

Brees makes me look genius at times award: Caramichael
:hihi:

Isa Abdul Quddus for roty for me, ingram hasnt really brought anything and neither has cam jordan. wilson and patrick have had to few snaps to make a difference

I love Abdul's field presence and style of unleashing his havoc on opposing players. He has come on fire, esp recently. I believe he is a future starter or key situational guy with quality Playing time.

You make a good case, esp since AQ is playing with the hot hand right now and Ingram has been out recently. However, he does have 5 TDs and has gotten some key first down in some tough yardage situation. Went with slight edge to Ingram, but I am thinking Abdul Q should be listed as well for DROY. I'll add him to the list.

Chad has proven himself to be a liability in coverage. I'll pass on the one dementional lb. We already have a one dimensional SS.

I am glad we didn''t sign them either. If we would have then LB surely would be one of the biggest disappointments of the year, if not the biggest. with: Lack of pass rush at points in the season and giving up many 3rd downs thrown into the mix.

Not a bad list and glad to see you changed your view on our Franklin and Rodgers.

But in my opinion, Harper really isn't having a surprise year. He's been top two on the team in tackles since 2007 and while he does have a career high in sacks, he's proven in the past he can get to the quarterback. Will Smith doesn't seem to be able to get constant pressure anymore I think Harper is having a better year than him.

My biggest surprise player on defense in Dunbar. He's leading linebackers in tackles and doesn't seem to be liability in coverage for the most part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom