2011 vs 2016 Offense : WRs leading the charge this time (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great Article. WRs are responsible for nearly 70% of our production. Remember over the years how we complained our WRs weren't getting open? So not the case anymore.

Only glaring things these #'s tell me?

We reached big time for Fleener. Of course there was no way we could know Thomas would be who he was at that time but the fact that his pay vs his production doesn't line up is hard to ignore. I can at this point name 2-3 positions on D that money could have gone to. Alas we hit on Thomas and because of that WR crew he hasn't been needed. It's also possible our 3TE set has been limited and thus Fleener role has expanded as a blocker more than we initially thought before Hooman went out. Regardlesss it's nice to know we have a very good WR corps. Games like Denver we prob would have lost a few years ago but these #'s give me hope our top 3 receivers can match up against another teams top 3 CBs and make it work.

FWIW I think Fleener and Snead should have big games this week.

Enjoy!

Numbers show how Drew Brees gets more from wideouts in 2016 than during record 2011 season | NOLA.com

Our key will be the defense. If we shore it up and finish in the top 16, with a plus number in turnovers, we'll have a great chance at a playoff run!

:gosaints:

We will. I noticed we are playing Breaux on the weakside which does two things. Helps our edge run D (lot of big runs early on was the CB making wrong read when it was Crawley) and puts our best CB on the #2 WR so he can lock him down allowing us to Bracket a teams #1..which when it works forces the QB to settle for his 3rd option at times.

Was thinking about the comparison last night between this year's offense and the legendary 2011 offense, so I did some quick homework through the 8 game-mark of both seasons:

Passing, 2011, Brees had 19 TD's, 10 INT's, 2746 yards.

Passing 2016, he has 21 TD's, 5 INT's, 2688 yards.

Rushing game 2011: 939 yards through 8 games

Rushing game 2016: 865 yards through 8 games

First downs, 2011: 191

First downs, 2016: 203

We must remember the 2011 team didn't really hit its stride until the midway point of the season, they were only 5-3 after week 8. I could see the same kind of thing happening now.

The last 8 games of the 2011 season including the two playoff games, this Saints offense averaged 39 points and 525 yards per game.

It was something to behold.

Running back usage

Yards from scrimmage

2011 203 yards per game (43.5 %)
2016 148 yards per game (34.1 %)

Passing game made up most of that difference

2011 76.9 yards per game
2016 42.9 yards per game

We would be unstoppable with a legit TE. Watching Fleener is hard at times. He doesn't create much separation and is undependable. He's easy to defend.

We did reach with him, badly. But we hit on M Thomas and that is encouragement enough for now, I guess.

Conversely receivers comparison (excluding tight ends)

2011 183.0 yards per game (39.2 %)
2016 239.5 yards per game (55.1 %)

That percentage of the offense is strikingly different. And to no surprise.

If Coby Fleener could step up his game, this offense would rival the 2011 offense. But 56 catches, 718 yards and 4 TDs isn't enough production (projected over 16 games) for someone who can't really help out in blocking for the run game.

The percentages I am giving are for the totality of the offense, total net yards from scrimmage.

I would think the Saints are number 1 in the NFL with that 55.2 % mark.

Edit: Atlanta receivers comprise 52.3 %. Oakland 49.5 %, NY Giants 55.1 %.

I think you have to look at Fleener as a glorified #4 WR in this offense rather than a TE. It was always going to be a situation where he was the chess piece to move around for matchups and Hooman or Hill was the inline TE. I still think it was mostly a mistake signing him, but I don't believe SP went into this thing thinking the guy was a complete TE either.

It would be really interesting to see this offense if Hooman had not gotten hurt. We're seeing glimpses of it since Hill came back but he's not quite the well-rounded player Hooman is.

It would be really interesting to see this offense if Hooman had not gotten hurt. We're seeing glimpses of it since Hill came back but he's not quite the well-rounded player Hooman is.

I agree. Last year, when we started to utilize the three tight end sets, we seemed to really start "turning it on" offensively.

We're so lethal right now, I can only imagine what we'd look like with that formation in our arsenal.

hi y'all;

i think the knock on fleener is premature. he was finally starting to click w/brees; but the last 2 games have featured big sets. using 6 linemen & the run game rather than an all out pass attack. i expect more of the same today. fleener will get his when the opponents weaknesses are exposed to the plan. he was never seen as a quality blocker(we've never had a te that took a few months to acclimate & couldn't block the ballboy). we've been spoiled w/a few receiver/te that synched w/drew early; but most need an adjustment period.

700 yards or so, would be good production when 3 receivers could top 1K & another large bite, of the passes, go to backs & the other te. drew spreads the ball to 6-10 different players every game. lots of mouths to feed.

A

hi y'all;

i think the knock on fleener is premature. he was finally starting to click w/brees; but the last 2 games have featured big sets. using 6 linemen & the run game rather than an all out pass attack. i expect more of the same today. fleener will get his when the opponents weaknesses are exposed to the plan. he was never seen as a quality blocker(we've never had a te that took a few months to acclimate & couldn't block the ballboy). we've been spoiled w/a few receiver/te that synched w/drew early; but most need an adjustment period.

700 yards or so, would be good production when 3 receivers could top 1K & another large bite, of the passes, go to backs & the other te. drew spreads the ball to 6-10 different players every game. lots of mouths to feed.

A

Thanks for your view. It's not that he's a disappointment it's just that we payed him like a guy that would be top 3 in targets. I'm fine with the production he's given us considering the circumstances just pointing out the amount being payed to him suggest he was expected to do more.

The last 8 games of the 2011 season including the two playoff games, this Saints offense averaged 39 points and 525 yards per game.

It was something to behold.

It is taking me a while to absorb those numbers. 39 points averagedand 525 yards per game. That goes far beyond mind-boggling.

I firmly believe that Fleener was brought in to be #2 or #3 in targets in this offense, depending on running back targets, playing much like a big WR. The injuries to Hooman and Hill forced him into a much, much more traditional TE role. Add to that the couple of drops he has had and the massive amount of looks M. Thomas is commanding, and he looks like a much worse signing that he actually was. Payton had to believe he needed a new #2, so he found one and paid him like one.

I fear that he will appear overpaid vs. his production for the remainder of his contract, but not necessarily all due to his own fault. He makes for a great 4th piece to the passing equation with Cooks, Thomas, & Snead. He also makes for a very nice catching TE option to pair with a more traditional blocking TE on heavy sets. He will be a very nice piece and will have a few huge games here and there when the defensive match ups favor him and Payton has shown he has no issue calling a guy's number 12 times a game if that is where he believes the advantage lies. He wasn't going to replace Snead as the go to 3rd down option route guy, so he was going to be the #2 or #4 WR/TE option.

But let's be honest. There is one main reason for the down tick in Fleener's (projected) numbers and why he is now the #4 WR/TE option:

Michael Thomas is a flat out stud.

It is taking me a while to absorb those numbers. 39 points averagedand 525 yards per game. That goes far beyond mind-boggling.

For an entire half season of play is almost impossible to keep up.

I think it's the greatest 8 game stretch by any offense in NFL history.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom