2012 CowGirls D vs. 2013 Saints D lineup comparison (1 Viewer)

Yeah but most of the guys on the team when the reference the scheme switch they said it was to get guys like Tez and Galette on the field more. That leads me to believe the team has a vision for those two to be our OLB's
I was just thinking they might move tez around

What are the chances that Will Smith backs up Hicks? If Smith is here he will start, I'm more perplexed as to whether the Saints play Hicks at nose or at end which I assume is where we all believe he should play.

I think Will SMiths time as a starter is over.

I do agree that hicks might be used in the NT rotation.

In my scenario i see Will Smith keeping Hicks as fresh as possible.

Casillas walks which leaves us with a hole@ nickel backer in sub packages. Thats where Vilma comes in.

In order for that to happen i see Will Smith and Jon Vilma both agreeing to be cut and then resign with us @later dates for Vet minimum contracts. They both provide excellent depth and leadership

I was just thinking they might move tez around

Thats possible. IT would put Victor butler @ SOLB and Tez would be the guy that rotates.

However, i think with Tez the team will want to see a return in their investment. Also he would have seniority (team wise) over Victor Butler...but it isn't impossible for Butler to beat Tez out for the SOLB spot.

For me that lineup compares favorbably and could get us very highly ranked.

Ratliff might be the better NT but our combo of Franklin/Bunkley should be enough to keep both guys fresh.

Cam Jordan/Akiem Hicks absolutely body their LDE/RDE combo

We have more questions @ OLB than Dallas had but with Ryans ability to manufacture pressure it shouldn't be a problem.

Our corners are just as good.

Our safeties are better

We have more depth in key areas than Dallas had.

We have the ability to stop the run better than Dallas did but possibly not as much ability to pressure the passer. IT should balance though because if we can get teams into 3rd in long situations then it helps the pass rush.

I'm with ya there. I do think we have a better backfield at both starting and depth than Dallas ever had. I also think that our front 3 has the opportunity to outshine what Dallas was playing with. We have LB'ers, but I do think it's going to come down to evaluating and coaching to make them a solid unit. I could see: Gallette, Hawthorne, Lofton, and Tez causing some serious trouble. On the other hand, I could see them overshooting and completely removing themselves from the play....moreso Gallette and Tez because they seem to have two speeds...STOP and Full Speed.

As much as Smith has been a cornerstone to the defense, I think we can get younger and cheaper (remember we are currently in salary cap hell) and not make a significant drop off when comparing to Dallas.

I think Will SMiths time as a starter is over.

I do agree that hicks might be used in the NT rotation.

In my scenario i see Will Smith keeping Hicks as fresh as possible.

Casillas walks which leaves us with a hole@ nickel backer in sub packages. Thats where Vilma comes in.

In order for that to happen i see Will Smith and Jon Vilma both agreeing to be cut and then resign with us @later dates for Vet minimum contracts. They both provide excellent depth and leadership

Vilma and Smith signing for vet minimum would entail them being totally unable to get a decent payday elsewhere. If Casillas, Shanle, and Herring can be paid well above the vet minimum with offers here and elsewhere I do not see Smith and Vilma going that route. In fact, I could see them not only siging contracts elsewhere but starting, these guys are starting quality players. I really like the idea of Hicks at end but there is no chance he starts over Smith who not only has quality starts but a significant amount of starts at End in a 3 man front.

To be honest, once Will Smith is cut he is gone. The guy is an anchor with experience and leadership qualities hard to find, he is not a role player like Devery. Everyone knocks him, but teams will be lining up for him if we cut him.

I'm loving the Tez/Butler Galette/Bass combo's

Vilma and Smith signing for vet minimum would entail them being totally unable to get a decent payday elsewhere. If Casillas, Shanle, and Herring can be paid well above the vet minimum with offers here and elsewhere I do not see Smith and Vilma going that route. In fact, I could see them not only siging contracts elsewhere but starting, these guys are starting quality players. I really like the idea of Hicks at end but there is no chance he starts over Smith who not only has quality starts but a significant amount of starts at End in a 3 man front.

To be honest, once Will Smith is cut he is gone. The guy is an anchor with experience and leadership qualities hard to find, he is not a role player like Devery. Everyone knocks him, but teams will be lining up for him if we cut him.

I'm loving the Tez/Butler Galette/Bass combo's

I hear both talking in interviews and i think if we cut them it would be like the Mike Mckenzie situation. They have both made a great amount of money here and i think our loyalty to both will pay dividends.

If we decided to cut them there would be some under the table agreement that they wouldn't sign somewhere else.

Vilma sounds excited about the ryan hiring and Will Smith says he expects to be with the team next year.

If Casillas walks then like i said we have a new need@ nickel LB. IF we can cut Vilma and then resign him to vet minimum (maybe with some kind of bonus) then it will possibly come out cheaper than what casillas will make on the open market. So we'd end up saving.

Same thing with Smith. I don't see him leaving and he would provide excellent depth along the Front line. He could also play in some of the 4man fronts.

I don't see Greg Romeus or Corey White on your list OP

I don't see Greg Romeus or Corey White on your list OP

Corey white is on mines...

Greg Romeus...is a long shot. OUT of football for 3 years coming back from ACL tears in both legs???

Im rooting for him too but man it seems very very unlikely but i think hell be given a shot

This thread kinda got sidetracked but to the OP's point, the Cowboys had a lot more D talent than we did last year. It really isn't even close. If healthy they probably had the #2 LB corp in the league behind San Fran with Ware, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, and Spencer. I'd love to have their corners as well.

This thread kinda got sidetracked but to the OP's point, the Cowboys had a lot more D talent than we did last year. It really isn't even close. If healthy they probably had the #2 LB corp in the league behind San Fran with Ware, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, and Spencer. I'd love to have their corners as well.

I think we have more talent along the front line than Dallas had. LB's are questionable but Ryan helped manufacture part of that core and helped coach up spencer.

Gallete/Hawthorne/Lofton/Tez isn't too shabby. They have a bit more speed@ the LB spot than us but with Cam Jordan/Bunkley/Hicks up front i like our chances@ stopping the run better.

For me that lineup compares favorbably and could get us very highly ranked.

Ratliff might be the better NT but our combo of Franklin/Bunkley should be enough to keep both guys fresh.

Cam Jordan/Akiem Hicks absolutely body their LDE/RDE combo

We have more questions @ OLB than Dallas had but with Ryans ability to manufacture pressure it shouldn't be a problem.

Our corners are just as good.

Our safeties are better

We have more depth in key areas than Dallas had.

We have the ability to stop the run better than Dallas did but possibly not as much ability to pressure the passer. IT should balance though because if we can get teams into 3rd in long situations then it helps the pass rush.

This is a perfect example of delusion.

NOt a single LB on our team in the 3-4 is better than what dallas had except maybe Lofton over Ernie Simms

Ware, Spencer, Connor better than what we got..

I would take every starting member of their secondary except maybe danny mcrray over harper.

Carr > Claiborne >>> Greer or Robinson
Sensabuagh >> Jenkins

This is comical and you think we have better depth...

This is a perfect example of delusion.

NOt a single LB on our team in the 3-4 is better than what dallas had except maybe Lofton over Ernie Simms

Ware, Spencer, Connor better than what we got..

I would take every starting member of their secondary except maybe danny mcrray over harper.

Carr > Claiborne >>> Greer or Robinson
Sensabuagh >> Jenkins

This is comical and you think we have better depth...

Dude relax...i didn't say we had better LB's. I think we have a better line though. However im hoping that with Ryans coaching and his ability to manufacture pressure it will cover up our LB issues.

Carr Claiborne over Greer Robinson is an opinion.

Sensabuagh over Jenkins ill agree with u on that one.

In reference to depth/overall talent i was talking about the Depth chart i proposed not the one in its current state.

RDE Akiem Hicks/WIll Smith

NT Broderick Bunkley/Aubrayo Franklin/Montori Hughes

LDE Cameron Jordan/Tom Johnson/Tyrunn Walker

ROLB Junior Galette/David Bass/

RILB David Hawthorne/Jon Vilma/Zavier Gooden

LILB Curtis Lofton/Will Herring

LOLB Martez Wilson/Victor Butler/Braylon Broughton

CB(Boundary) David Amerson/Corey White

CB(Field)/Jabari Greer/Patrick Robinson/Johnny Patrick

FS Malcolm Jenkins/Isa Abdul Quddus

SS Matt Elam/Abe Elam

^^^ Looks comparable to Dallas Roster. They would have the upperhand in LB core but wed have the upper hand on the Dline with the exception of NT. Corners are just as good and ill take those 4 safeties over anything dallas had to offer last year.

So in this regards i don't think im being delusional..but thats my own opinion.

I do get a little scared about our backfield, but I also think they're NOT built for zone...which is quite evident from our stats in 2012. I do however feel that putting them in man and with just a tad more pressure up front, the backfield would be light years better this coming season.

As for the front 3, I do not know if we'll go NT early in the draft. As much as I would love to hit the jackpot with one in rounds 1 or 3 (like we seem to have found a diamond in the rough with Hicks), I'm not banking on it. I believe Bunkley can hold his own and with that Hicks and Jordan can apply the pressure needed. As I said earlier, we will have some serious speed in Gallette and Tez. So long as they can be coached to think smart and not overrun the play (taking themselves completely out of it), I think we'll develop some swagger.

It will be interesting to see how Ryan evaluates who is going to be in the best position possible. Guys like Vilma and Smith are great guys. Unfortunately, their current salaries are going to prevent them from seeing the field or being a part of this team. I see Payton and Ryan going young and finding those up and comers.

Ellias...I keep seeing that you have Franklin back on the team. Do you see that as a real possibility? I think he'd come on the cheap, but I don't remember his height/weight and would that be the "clogger" we need to spell Bunkley? I really think Hicks could shine at RDE and moving him to the NT position (even if just from a depth position) would just create another hole that we would need to fill. Your thoughts?

I do get a little scared about our backfield, but I also think they're built for zone...which is quite evident from our stats in 2012. I do however feel that putting them in man and with just a tad more pressure up front, the backfield would be light years better this coming season.

As for the front 3, I do not know if we'll go NT early in the draft. As much as I would love to hit the jackpot with one in rounds 1 or 3 (like we seem to have found a diamond in the rough with Hicks), I'm not banking on it. I believe Bunkley can hold his own and with that Hicks and Jordan can apply the pressure needed. As I said earlier, we will have some serious speed in Gallette and Tez. So long as they can be coached to think smart and not overrun the play (taking themselves completely out of it), I think we'll develop some swagger.

It will be interesting to see how Ryan evaluates who is going to be in the best position possible. Guys like Vilma and Smith are great guys. Unfortunately, their current salaries are going to prevent them from seeing the field or being a part of this team. I see Payton and Ryan going young and finding those up and comers.

Ellias...I keep seeing that you have Franklin back on the team. Do you see that as a real possibility? I think he'd come on the cheap, but I don't remember his height/weight and would that be the "clogger" we need to spell Bunkley? I really think Hicks could shine at RDE and moving him to the NT position (even if just from a depth position) would just create another hole that we would need to fill. Your thoughts?

Im projecting a bit but yeah i could see Franklin coming back. He went back to being one of the top NT's after he left here.

Franklin/Bunkley would allow us to bring along a late round NT(the guy i have us drafting is a big 6'2 350)

Rob Ryan proved he doesn't need a big 350lb NT and i think Bunkley proved he can handle playing in a 3-4 from his time in Denver. Combine that with Franklin and a late rounder and i think that makes our NT position pretty formidable without allocating significant resources. Also by filling that position with Veterans you don't have to worry if that NT u drafted high is going to be a bust or not.

Im also predicting that Will and Vilma will be cut and then resigned @ a later date. I've listend to their interviews and nothing has given me the inkling that they won't be back next year. Due to salary cap restraints its inevitable that they are cut...but not out of the realm of possibilites that they are brought back on vet minimum salaries with maybe a bonus for good faith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom