2012 New Orleans Saints UDFAs (1 Viewer)

OG, DeOn'Tae Pannell, Penn State

40 Yrd Dash: 5.56
20 Yrd Dash: 3.13
10 Yrd Dash: 1.90
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
Vertical Jump: 24 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 5.02
3-Cone Drill: 8.16

OT, Aderious Simmons, Arizona State

40 Yrd Dash: 5.40
20 Yrd Dash: 3.11
10 Yrd Dash: 1.89
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
Vertical Jump: 25 1/2
Broad Jump: 07'11"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.96
3-Cone Drill: 7.96

LB, Aaron Tevis, Boise State

40 Yrd Dash: 4.72
20 Yrd Dash: 2.79
10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 23
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 6.93

PFW Notes: Last name is pronounced “TEV-iss.” Was a three-sport standout as an Arizona prep, lettering three times in football and basketball and twice in track and field. Redshirted in 2007. Appeared in 12 games, including a start in the season opener against Idaho State, as a backup linebacker in ’08 and registered 29 tackles, three tackles for loss and two sacks with three pass breakups and one interception. Started 11-of-14 games in ’09 and posted 54-6 1/2-1 1/2 with two pass breakups, three interceptions and one forced fumble. In ’10, he recorded 46-2 1/2-1 with two interceptions and one forced fumble in 12 games (10 starts) at “Will” linebacker. Had an interception return of 43 yards for a score against San Jose State for his first career points. Missed the Louisiana Tech game with a lower leg injury.

FS, Johnny Thomas, Oklahoma State

40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55
225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump:
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill:

PFW Notes: Also rushed for more than 1,800 yards his senior season as a Texas prep. Saw limited action in 10 games during the 2008 season, making 12 tackles, zero pass breakups and zero interceptions. Registered 25-1-0 in 12 contests in ’09, missing only the Rice game. Started 11-of-13 games at free safety in ’10, posting 63-5-3 with two forced fumbles. Had a 26-yard interception return for a touchdown against Kansas State. Did not play in ’11 after being declared academically ineligible. Had 11 career kickoff returns for 178 yards (16.2). Very good size — nice length and has a muscular upper body. Showed up to the Combine in shape despite missing senior season — bench-pressed 225 pounds 20 times. Patient pedal. Transitions efficiently. Covers ground. Drops downhill aggressively. Will throw his body around and spill. Good leaping ability. Has worked as a “gunner” and jammer. Inconsistent tackler, particularly in space. Poor body control — struggles to break down, lowers his head, leaves his feet and misses tackles. Questionable pursuit angles. Takes false steps peering into the backfield. Ordinary recovery burst. Has underachiever traits. Coachability and dependability concerns. Is a follower — could succumb to trappings of NFL status and struggle to maintain focus. Well-built, high-cut, athletic defender with a mixture of free and strong safety traits. However, his deficient instincts and tackling ability are compounded by worrisome intangibles.

DE, Tyrunn Walker, Tulsa

40 Yrd Dash: 4.91
20 Yrd Dash: 2.84
10 Yrd Dash: 1.79
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 28
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.83
3-Cone Drill: 7.37

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AilFcXauTcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starting to see a theme here with multiple LBs, DBs, WRs, and some OL. Special teams, special teams, special teams.

I don't know the first thing about any of these players - yet. I figure that the Saints put more emphasis on UDFAs this year than in most. They seem to consistently give UDFA's a real chance to make the squad (it doesn't matter how you got here).

It is going to be a tough year to make the squad. I wish these guys the best.

I've gone through the first ten and so far something I have noticed that they all have in common is that none of them were invited to the combine.

saints did not go after a lot of big school guys at all!

Out of the 20 UDFAs, only about 4 come from big time programs.

I think it's the smart route to go as other teams typically target bigger schools.

I really think we would have tried hard to pick up Kellen Moore if SP was coaching. SP always wants a project QB around. I think we'll still pick up a another camp arm.
I can't believe that what Payton is currently doing with his time right now dictates what players are added to the roster. That's just not a very smart way to run a football team. Besides, it takes two sides to land an UDFA. There's no doubt that the Saints were interested because they brought him in. What if Moore wasn't interested? Arian Foster chose the Texans over the Saints because he valued his opportunity for playing time.

Of course the Saints could have decided that he wasn't worth the trouble as well after his work out. There's really no way to know for sure.

I really think we would have tried hard to pick up Kellen Moore if SP was coaching. SP always wants a project QB around. I think we'll still pick up a another camp arm.

For all we know, they really like the way Canfield has developed...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom