2012 Rookie Minicamp Roster shows what likely chances there are to catch on with the Saints (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://images.bimedia.net/documents/2012_rookie_camp_roster_alphabetical.pdf

Here's a look at last year's Rookie Minicamp Roster just to give you an idea of the total number of guys who will be there (64), and what they're chances are of making the team in one form or fashion. Participating in the group were:

Draft picks:
Nate Bussey 2011
Sean Canfield 2011
Akiem Hicks 2012
Marcel Jones 2012
Greg Romeus 2010
Andrew Tiller 2012
Nick Toon 2012
Corey White 2012

Some guys we liked from the year before:
Swanson Miller
Andy Tanner

New guys who caught on with the team:
Braylon Broughton
Travaris Cadet
A.J. Davis
Chris Givens
Jerico Nelson
Tyrunn Walker

15/16 are still with the team (Bussey gone), 6 new guys were added to the squad from among the 54 others if 10 of your guys were already part of the Saints to start off with (Draft picks and previous year UDFA finds). There looks like there will be some new guys we haven't heard of taking spots (practice squad/roster).

Unfortunately each of those guys was either on the team before, drafted, or signed immediately after the draft. None of those guys joined the team as a result of their performance in the minicamp. So, having even one of this year's crop make the team or even practice squad is the longest of long shots. Still, there are a few openings left on the roster, so it's possible some will make the 90-man for the time being at select positions.

Missing from that roster that was a part of last years UDFA haul:

Joseph Morgan
Jarred Fayson
Michael Higgins
Isa Abdul-Quddus

All guys who have stuck around, but you're right WxM, these guys were all UDFA and not rookie minicamp tryout guys.

This just continues to show that we are very much a team made up of underdogs.

If I recall, a few of the tryout guys were signed to come to camp. So, at least they are given a shot.

If youre good, you'll be a Saint. Whether youre on the practice squad, or the roster itself.

Jose Gumbs.

This class draft is depressing.

Missing from that roster that was a part of last years UDFA haul:

Joseph Morgan
Jarred Fayson
Michael Higgins
Isa Abdul-Quddus

All guys who have stuck around, but you're right WxM, these guys were all UDFA and not rookie minicamp tryout guys.

This just continues to show that we are very much a team made up of underdogs.

I could be wrong but IAQ was here during the 3G days so i don't think he was a part of last years UDFA class.

i thought we severed ties with canfield last offseason? oh and i don't think swanson miller is on the roster either.

I could be wrong but IAQ was here during the 3G days so i don't think he was a part of last years UDFA class.

Correct, IAQ and Higgins come from the 2011 UDFA class. I believe they are the only two UDFA to make it from that class as it was hard for them since the lockout kept rookies away from Airline drive right up to the start of training camp.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom