2012 Saints Offseason Mock V 2 (2 Viewers)

I was basing my Mingo eval on what I saw from his this season so I decided to go back and check him out again. I don't see a great pass rusher, I see a great athlete.

A few things:
-Besides a great first step, I don't see the hype in him. Maybe it's all based off his 2011 season?
-He needs to get stronger.
-He'll get destroyed at the POA by bigger tackles.
-He seems to have the ability to convert speed to power, but it doesn't seem consistent. I think it's something that could be taught and something that he needs in a MAJOR way, which leads me to my next point...
-He lacks pass rushing moves. He tries this spin move but I only saw it work against a couple of guards. No counter move whatsoever.
Note: My next two points are the reason why right now, I DO NOT want the Saints to draft Mingo.
-Doesn't have good hands. When he wins, he wins with speed. Allows the tackle to get their hands on him and once that happens, he's neutralized.
-Isn't a natural bender. I saw him win with speed a few times but he wasn't able to make the play because he couldn't turn the corner. He looks a bit stiff when doing this.
These are two of the most important qualities I look for in a pass rusher and Mingo lacks both of them.

I'm convinced that if we get this guy, he'll be a project and won't be productive for us in the first year. Right now, to me, he doesn't even look like the type of guy that you can put in on nickel downs and tell him to find the passer. He just isn't a polished pass rusher in any sense. I'm not saying he won't never be a good pass rusher in the NFL, I'm just saying that he has a lot to learn before he is an effective pass rusher.

This was all based off of five of his games. I'd love to hear if anyone sees anything different than what I'm seeing.

I like the Jordan Mills pick. I think he could be a solid/above average LT in the NFL with a little seasoning. However, I don't think he makes it past round 4.

You must be mentally disturbed. .

That's pretty unfair. I highly doubt the offseason plays out like this, and I don't like a lot of these moves, but in all honesty, given the tons of garbage posted on this forum by the hordes of people making "mocks", this is one of the more legitimate and reasonable one's I've seen. It's at least in the same hemisphere as "possible".

The biggest mistakes (in my opinion) I see are

1) I don't think we have enough leverage to force Harper into taking a pay cut.

2) We're more likely to cut Jenkins if we signed a FA like Reed then try to keep him on the roster

3) 4 CBs is not enough on the roster I don't think.

4) That's a lot of confidence in Charles Brown at LT

5) Fitting Asomugha and Reed under the cap would be dicey as we'd have to backload/give long-term contracts to older players

But those are at least reasonable judgement calls and not outright impossibilities.

Edit - Oh and it's called the "2012 mock" instead of the "2013 mock"

Last edited:
I don't see us keeping Harper AND Jenkins. Unless Harper takes a huge pay cut, and maybe move Jenkins to cb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom