2013 Draft Saints-Only Positional Ranking thread. (1 Viewer)

Saftey

Free

Baccari Rambo (Draft)
Dexter McCoil (Draft)

James Ackel (tryout)
Bryce Pelia (tryout)

Strong

Cooper Taylor
Rashard Hall
Brian Melophony
Ray Ray Armstrong
Serge Kona
Kenny Vacarro/Matt Elam???
You don't think these guys fit our system? They can play in any system. Elam can play both safety positions and Vacarro can play FS, SS, or CB.

I've always noticed how fast he is closing on qbs and running backs when unblocked and just thinking "wow, he must have great timed speed."

Turns out, he does

*Sheldon Richardson*|*Missouri,*DT*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

He ran a 4.7 at his pro day, which was a vast improvement from his combine outing. This time is more true to what i've always seen of him on film.

Peterson Played in the 3-4?

Was it under Nolan?

I forget who it was. It was with the 49ers though so yeah, I think Nolan. They made the switch with him there. Then he went to Seattle and I think they used like a 4-3 Under so he was in sort of a 3-4 SOLB role there too. Injuries ended his career, he was a really good linebacker for a good stretch.

Obviously the concern with Dion Jordan is his height can be problematic in the run game, but it'd be such an advantage so many other times, particularly rushing the passer and jamming and/or covering tight ends. You never get the perfect player.

As for Richardson yeah I dismissed the 5 seconds when it happened. Just watch him, he's fast. He's fast off the LOS and, more importantly, he stays fast. He doesn't just try to beat his man, get locked up, and then just coast the rest of the play.

You compared him to a lot of "effort" guys, and I agree, we've had enough of that business, we need athletes. But Richardson isn't "just" an effort guy, he's a good athlete who can beat people, such as DJ Fluker, right off the LOS. He just also combines that with top notch effort throughout.

I'm not comparing him to JJ Watt necessarily here when I say this, but that is in part what makes JJ Watt so dominate. He's not just a "beat you off the ball" guy, he hangs with the play and keeps fighting. If you can get both you have a potential Pro Bowler.

Yeah the thing about this defense is you can generate the pressure with your front 3. The Texans only generated 11.5 sacks from their outside linebacker spots, #1 and #2 on their sack leader board were their defensive ends.

Sheldon Richardson would, essentially, be taking the Antonio Smith role, who he actually compares favorably too physically (actually a little heavier and faster).

So this would take some of the pressure off our OLBs. Sheldon Richardson is actually my top player for us. I think it's just a slam dunk fit
Yeah, I agree he's play that role. I think I enjoyed watching Richardson more than any other prospect in this draft. Freak athlete with a crazy motor. I actually think he could play 4-3 DE if he had to, he's that explosive. Long as he's on the outside shoulder of a guard on passing downs, I think he'll cause havoc.

Can we not draft head cases like Teo or Ogletree?

I forget who it was. It was with the 49ers though so yeah, I think Nolan. They made the switch with him there. Then he went to Seattle and I think they used like a 4-3 Under so he was in sort of a 3-4 SOLB role there too. Injuries ended his career, he was a really good linebacker for a good stretch.

Obviously the concern with Dion Jordan is his height can be problematic in the run game, but it'd be such an advantage so many other times, particularly rushing the passer and jamming and/or covering tight ends. You never get the perfect player.

As for Richardson yeah I dismissed the 5 seconds when it happened. Just watch him, he's fast. He's fast off the LOS and, more importantly, he stays fast. He doesn't just try to beat his man, get locked up, and then just coast the rest of the play.

You compared him to a lot of "effort" guys, and I agree, we've had enough of that business, we need athletes. But Richardson isn't "just" an effort guy, he's a good athlete who can beat people, such as DJ Fluker, right off the LOS. He just also combines that with top notch effort throughout.

I'm not comparing him to JJ Watt necessarily here when I say this, but that is in part what makes JJ Watt so dominate. He's not just a "beat you off the ball" guy, he hangs with the play and keeps fighting. If you can get both you have a potential Pro Bowler.

Nolan came to SF in 2005

Mike Nolan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2004-2005 were actually pretty lean for peterson.

Julian Peterson, OLB at NFL.com
Julian Peterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do remember him being best when allowed to blitz and rush the passer from the edge however.

I dismissed that 40 time too for Richardson and it was actually one of the biggest stunners of the combine for me, Truth be told.:spit: The speed is there for sure but I think that he'll have to get creative at the next level like Cameron Jordan to become a similar force against the pass. Learning new technique and counter-moves like a spin might help in that effort. He is all motor like Chris Jones who I do have listed at end but I can see why you believe his character would definitely help.

After 2011 I never thought that Cameron Jordan would ever be a more than 5 sack per season DE, but he lost weight, worked on his technique and proved me wrong, though I never doubted him as a run-stopper.

Kenny Vacarro/Matt Elam???
You don't think these guys fit our system? They can play in any system. Elam can play both safety positions and Vacarro can play FS, SS, or CB.
Im not overly impressed by Vaccarro's ball skills and I don't think that SS is anywhere near a first day priority at this point.

Im not overly impressed by Vaccarro's ball skills and I don't think that SS is anywhere near a first day priority at this point.
What about Jonathan Cyprien? Surprised he's not on that list. Good combo guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom