2013 free agents we should hope for (1 Viewer)

ETWhoDat

Hindsight is 50/50
Reaction score
#1 - This team needs a bonafide SAM - Daryl Smith is the answer. I highly doubt he wants to stay in JAX and would likely want to land on a team contending for a SB. He would likely be an instant starter at SAM for us making us more appealing and I think he could also come cheap. Would be an excellent addition - Hawthorne/Lofton/Smith

#2 - Pass rusher - I would love Michael Johnson, but I doubt we could afford him. I'd really like to see Paul Kruger land here. Smart player with good quickness and strength and has a relentless motor.

#3 - TE - Fred Davis really is a good possibility. He was used a lot less this year in Washington in the receiving game and also got injured. He would be nearly unstoppable with Brees. Imagine having Colston, Graham, Davis, Moore, and Morgan. Very nice group.

Daryl Smith is the best 4-3 SAM in the league, he will be expensive even though he is 30.

Kruger is only good because Ngata makes him look good.

Someone I really think we need is Ed Reed. He could be like Sharper and help him win a ring, and retire. Ed is also from Louisiana and his mother lives here.

Everytime, I see a free agent thread I laugh. WE HAVE NO MONEY, we also have to resign bushrod and extended Jimmy Graham first. END THREAD!!!!!!!!! (17 MIL OVER the cap)

Saints Master has spoken.............................................

Everytime, I see a free agent thread I laugh. WE HAVE NO MONEY, we also have to resign bushrod and extended Jimmy Graham first. END THREAD!!!!!!!!! (17 MIL OVER the cap)

Notice I said hope for. There will be cuts, there will be restructures, we will have dollar dollar bills to work with. We may not bring in any high dollar rising rookies, but I could see loomis and the saints appeal bringing in Daryl smith and/or Fred Davis. At 30, I don't think Daryl is looking for a payday. Dude wants a ring, and I don't know of any other competitive 4-3 teams that need a Sam. Giants? No. Falcons? Yes. Seahawks? No. He better not go to the falcons.

Krugar is 26 years old and had 9 sacks can't afford him either.... DE is 1 of the highest paid positions in the league... not gonna happen other teams have more cash!!!

we can get rid of some salaries

vilma
smith
harper
herring
strief
hawthorne

restructures
evans
brees
grubbs
colston
moore
thomas
sproles
greer

we can get rid of some salaries

vilma
smith
harper
herring
strief
hawthorne

restructures
evans
brees
grubbs
colston
moore
thomas
sproles
greer
I can see us cutting Smith and Herring. I think we also might cut Ellis. However, I can't see us cutting Strief b/c we're thin at RT and we have so many needs I don't think we will create another one by cutting a guy who's relatively cheap and serviceable. Strief is by no means great, but we still need him. I think we restructure Vilma and either restructure Harper or cut him. (I'm leaning towards cutting him.) I don't think it would be fair to ask Colston, Thomas, or Moore to restructure b/c their deals were reasonable and they've all produced. It's possible we would try to restructure Greer. I do think Loomis will find a way to bring in a few FAs, although they will be modest pickups. Our draft strategy has always been to try to fill as many holes in FA as possible so that we can take the best available players in the draft (although I do think we need to lean in the direction of defense in this draft).

I can see us cutting Smith and Herring. I think we also might cut Ellis. However, I can't see us cutting Strief b/c we're thin at RT and we have so many needs I don't think we will create another one by cutting a guy who's relatively cheap and serviceable. Strief is by no means great, but we still need him. I think we restructure Vilma and either restructure Harper or cut him. (I'm leaning towards cutting him.) I don't think it would be fair to ask Colston, Thomas, or Moore to restructure b/c their deals were reasonable and they've all produced. It's possible we would try to restructure Greer. I do think Loomis will find a way to bring in a few FAs, although they will be modest pickups. Our draft strategy has always been to try to fill as many holes in FA as possible so that we can take the best available players in the draft (although I do think we need to lean in the direction of defense in this draft).

How great does Stinchcomb look after a few years of his backup Strief? I know a lot of people thought he wasn't great, but the alternative has been scary.

Can not be more correct than this Sir... congratulations. :9:

Restructures don't mean pay cut. It means salary converted to signing bonus money then prorated over a determined number of years to lessen the overall cap hit in a given year. Players actually like it because they get cash up front. The key is to restructure players who you feel confident will be with the team in future years. If not, and you end up cutting them, you end up with "dead money'' on the cap.

everytime, i see a free agent thread i laugh. We have no money, we also have to resign bushrod and extended jimmy graham first. End thread!!!!!!!!! (17 mil over the cap)

saints master has spoken.............................................

thank you!

We did not have any money last year, had a ton of our own free agents to sign, and were able to bring in guys like Bunkley, Grubbs, Hawthorne, and Lofton. Loomis' wisdom always finds a way!

Colston is under paid already, it would be a slap in the face to ask him to take even less.

A restructure is not a paycut. It is...

Restructures don't mean pay cut. It means salary converted to signing bonus money then prorated over a determined number of years to lessen the overall cap hit in a given year. Players actually like it because they get cash up front. The key is to restructure players who you feel confident will be with the team in future years. If not, and you end up cutting them, you end up with "dead money'' on the cap.

THIS!!

I doubt we bring in a linebacker FA this year.

An important (apparently) little known fact. Rarely does "re-structure" mean paycut. It means spending the money different than it was originally agreed upon. Pushing money from one year to the next is a better way of looking at it.

So...if the Saints re-structured 10 players...they will likely only be kicking the can down the road and we will be in salary cap hell down the road.

I trust that Loomis will fix the cap situation...and will likely have to do it through both cuts and re-structures...but it will not be by demanding people to take a paycut. You only do that to players who you are willing to cut. The Saints could go to Will Smith, Harper, Vilma, and Jenkins and throw that out there. Smith and Vilma may take the cut rather than get cut...but Jenkins and Harper will likely say "pack sand". But then you have disgruntled players...so you might as well just cut them.

The Saints will likely be active in free agency but it will have to be smart low cost moves. Guys like Ed Reed and Osi Umenyoira will be on the Saints radar because they have ties to either coaching or the city and want to compete for a championship. But I also believe that Ed Reed still has quite a bit earning potential left. He is still a top 5 safety and MUCH better than either Harper/Jenkins.

I love me some Daryl Smith. I am a Jags fan and know his impact on the field. But I have a feeling that other teams GMs also know his value, which is much more than the Saints can afford.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom