2013 NASCAR thread (1 Viewer)

Stewart admitted the first wreck was his fault. I'm glad he lost, good win for Harvick.

Stewart admitted the first wreck was his fault. I'm glad he lost, good win for Harvick.

No he didn't. He said he thought he was clear of the 9 in a conversation with his spotter, saying it was his fault he didn't see him, not the spotter.

He never admitted to helping Johnson take his foot off the pedal and causing the actual wreck.

edit::Unless he did an interview and stated otherwise, I turned the TV off as soon as the race ended.

No he didn't. He said he thought he was clear of the 9 in a conversation with his spotter, saying it was his fault he didn't see him, not the spotter.

He never admitted to helping Johnson take his foot off the pedal and causing the actual wreck.

edit::Unless he did an interview and stated otherwise, I turned the TV off as soon as the race ended.

You are right about what Stewart said, and Stewart's overly aggressive move caused the sparks that made the other cars pull up...causing the wreck.

It's all the same thing. Whether the driver thinks he clear or is or isn't told he's clear by the spotter, it's still that driver/team's fault for the accident. Tony wasn't clear and he caused the contact.

Congrats to the Harvick fans. He was awesome in the last 40 laps or so. Great driving to block the two runs at the end.

I didn't listen to the post-race, did they talk about the top versus the bottom? Coming into it, the thinking was that the bottom was a bit faster but the whole second half of the race, the bottom couldn't do anything with the top.

It's all the same thing. Whether the driver thinks he clear or is or isn't told he's clear by the spotter, it's still that driver/team's fault for the accident. Tony wasn't clear and he caused the contact.

I totally disagree with this. So that means anytime there is contact at the front of the field it can be the cause for something that was completely preventable further back? This isn't ARCA, these are supposed to be the best of the best. And a 5 time champion talks about seeing sparks and instinctively letting up instead of doing what a 5 time champion should know what to do and hammer down past the contact.

Again go back and listen to Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon, they basically are saying the same thing I am. How does someone getting loose regardless of how it happened completely affect the OTHER lane that was not even directly behind them. Almost the entire lane behind the 14 and 9 make it through...why? Because they didn't have a guy in front of them who doesn't know how to get through a super speedway accident.

Yeah Tony made a stupid move and almost got himself in a lot of trouble. But that has nothing to do with the guys running into each other behind him. Like I said, I keep hearing these guys are the best of the best, they had plenty of time and space to not wreck, and yet they did.

I totally disagree with this. So that means anytime there is contact at the front of the field it can be the cause for something that was completely preventable further back? This isn't ARCA, these are supposed to be the best of the best. And a 5 time champion talks about seeing sparks and instinctively letting up instead of doing what a 5 time champion should know what to do and hammer down past the contact.

Again go back and listen to Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon, they basically are saying the same thing I am. How does someone getting loose regardless of how it happened completely affect the OTHER lane that was not even directly behind them. Almost the entire lane behind the 14 and 9 make it through...why? Because they didn't have a guy in front of them who doesn't know how to get through a super speedway accident.

Yeah Tony made a stupid move and almost got himself in a lot of trouble. But that has nothing to do with the guys running into each other behind him. Like I said, I keep hearing these guys are the best of the best, they had plenty of time and space to not wreck, and yet they did.

Had nothing to do with it? You don't seriously believe that the secondary wreck would have happened on its own. You can't honestly think that what happened between the 14 and the 9 (they both lost forward momentum and the wiggle took up a lane and a half) should have been inconsequential for the next group.

Sure, it was a secondary wreck and I don't know why you're getting so defensive - it happens all the time. It didn't have to cause a secondary wreck but it did - and you can't really try to argue that it was the fault of the guys reacting to the initial contact.

I'm really not getting defensive. Just saying the wreck should not have happened to guys that are that great. Personally I think Johnson is a decent driver but not great. I think those 5 championships had a lot more to do with that team then his driving. I also think he is extremely sub-par at the big tracks. Looking at the replays again today if that was a driver like Harvick, Jr, Kenseth, or Smoke driving the 48 the accident would not have happened. So again I place the blame on him more than anyone. You just can't convince me that it was the 14 or 9's fault when the guys directly behind them had no problem avoiding the initial incident.

Oh well. Can't wait for Sunday.

It is obvious that Voodoo is looking at the wreck through Tony Stewart colored glasses, he is your favorite driver, I respect that. But Tony's move caused the sparks that caused the other drivers to pull up, no matter how good of drivers you think they are or are not, Tony caused the wreck. Plain and simple. Tony is a great driver, probably one of the best, but they all make mistakes that affect other drivers from time to time.

I'm really not getting defensive. Just saying the wreck should not have happened to guys that are that great. Personally I think Johnson is a decent driver but not great. I think those 5 championships had a lot more to do with that team then his driving. I also think he is extremely sub-par at the big tracks. Looking at the replays again today if that was a driver like Harvick, Jr, Kenseth, or Smoke driving the 48 the accident would not have happened. So again I place the blame on him more than anyone. You just can't convince me that it was the 14 or 9's fault when the guys directly behind them had no problem avoiding the initial incident.

Oh well. Can't wait for Sunday.

This just keeps getting better. And all in good fun, but you're out of your mind.

Watch the wreck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QemxywOgOz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They're actually all fairly tight. Smoke is not clear on Ambrose, and he comes down causing contact. They both lose momentum and the 9 wiggles up half a lane.

Immediately behind them, 3-wide, are (from the bottom), the 16, 11 and 48. Well, the initial contact occurs and the 16 presumably lifts because he has nowhere to go. When the 9 wiggles up half a lane in front of the 11, Denny checks up and tries to maneuver to the top - and that's where the 48 is.

It's pretty clear to me that the 3-wide cars immediately behind the initial contact had no options. If anyone did, it was Denny but they were very limited. But watch Jimmie, he lifts and then tries to move to the high side. The 9 is still trying to save and then Denny gets up into Jimmie. Harvick or Kenseth wouldn't have made it either.

And you're not accounting whatsoever for the fact that this gen-6 cars are very aero dependent and all of the drivers have said that if you lose air on the nose, you lose control quickly. So to even presume that any of them had a legitimate chance to not wreck after Tony hit the 9 is just absurd IMO.

You're talking about Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin and Greg Biffle. Now which of them again is it that doesn't know how to drive through superspeedway wrecks? Sorry bro, but you're just off the mark here.

OK I'll go with a couple of unintentional errors caused the wreck.

And while yes Smoke is my favorite I would be saying the same thing had it been anyone else. And again I will stick to my opinion that JJ is really not a great driver. Especially on the big tracks. In the 28 years I've been a fan JJ isn't even near my top 10 in driving ability. Some guys have won Championships on driving alone...some have won them with a good mix of team and driver and some like JJ win them because they had a great team that was willing to push the envelope bordering on the cheating line.

Danica wins the pole, but can she hang with the big boys? With Smoke(her teammate and car owner) right behind her, anything can happen.

Danica wins the pole, but can she hang with the big boys? With Smoke(her teammate and car owner) right behind her, anything can happen.

We'll see how she does Thursday. This would be the ideal track for her to do anything. The SHR cars look bad fast and Hendrick in general.

New cars,new year...same ole story.Chevy,Chevy,Chevy. I'd like to know what idiot designed that bull-doser front end on the Fusion! Ford will not lead a lap at Daytona.:jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom