2013 player cap hit website here... (2 Viewers)

cut, Smith, Harper, Bunkley, Grubbs. Lot of players not doing their job.

Bunkley would cost us $2.6M extra in cap space to cut than to keep, while Grubbs would cost us almost $6M extra cap space if he is cut than if he is on our roster.

Cut:
Smith ($7.8M), Vilma ($6M), P. Thomas ($2.5M), D. Thomas($1.7M), W. Herring($1.6M), Hartley ($1.1M), Chamberlain ($0.7M)

Restructure people who will likely play out their contracts or have big roster bonuses due this year:
M. Jenkins ($3M - restructure)
J. Evans ($7M - restructure)
Brees ($7m - restructure)
Lofton ($5M - convert roster bonus into signing bonus)
Hawthorne ($3M - convert roster bonus)

This is $21.4M in savings from cuts and $25M in restructures (if so inclined). None of the people cut could not be replaced by cheaper options.

Did not cut Streif because his salary is pretty low and cutting Harper only saves us $1M against the cap, but those are two other possible options if we do not want to restructure too much.

We'd actually lose over $1 million by cutting Hawthorne.

Exactly. I remember at the end of the year reading that if he was cut this year it would have had to have been done by 3 days after the Super Bowl, because after that his money was to be guaranteed.

Bunkley would cost us $2.6M extra in cap space to cut than to keep, while Grubbs would cost us almost $6M extra cap space if he is cut than if he is on our roster.

Cut:
Smith ($7.8M), Vilma ($6M), P. Thomas ($2.5M), D. Thomas($1.7M), W. Herring($1.6M), Hartley ($1.1M), Chamberlain ($0.7M)

Restructure people who will likely play out their contracts or have big roster bonuses due this year:

This is $21.4M in savings from cuts and $25M in restructures (if so inclined). None of the people cut could not be replaced by cheaper options.

Did not cut Streif because his salary is pretty low and cutting Harper only saves us $1M against the cap, but those are two other possible options if we do not want to restructure too much.

Loomis!! Hire this man!!

Yeah, I get it now.

Looking at this, I dont know what the hell Loomis is going to do. I know he has a plan, it will be interesting for sure.

I don't know what what he's going to do either but he didn't get us into this situation without having a plan to get us out of it, that much I know. Something along the lines of what Euphonetiks posted I would guess. Vilma for example could be cut and resigned for less. Same for Will Smith if we choose to keep him. We can also designate 2 players to cut early but treat like June 1 cuts. That only kicks the can further down the street but at some point the cap has to go up.

People keep blaming brees contract but his cap hit really isnt that bad compared to a lot of QB's out there right now (Matt Stafford's is 20m).

Our problem was extending players past their prime and over paying players. I love Fresh Prince but he was vastly overpaid. Same for Harper. Im glad we didnt overpay Nicks as great as he was. We need to get much much better developing draft picks and collecting draft picks to keep good young talent cycling through the building. You have to face the facts that you will lose players you develop, it is what it is.

People keep blaming brees contract but his cap hit really isnt that bad compared to a lot of QB's out there right now (Matt Stafford's is 20m)
His contract is reasonable (especially relative to his value) for the first three years and then it gets pretty spendy. Hopefully the cap will be higher by then.

His contract is reasonable (especially relative to his value) for the first three years and then it gets pretty spendy. Hopefully the cap will be higher by then.

Yeah, its stuctured to start increases when the cap is supposed to increast in 2014 and onward.

Cut:

I would say "Cut or Trade" these players... the cap hit/saving is the same either way and the other team benefits in that they do not have to compete in free agency and only have to pay the seasons base salary.

What would a team running a 4-3 be willing to give us in exchange for a season of Vilma at 4.8 mil? 2 seasons of P.Thomas at 2.1 mil this season? etc?

Maybe not much but a couple extra mid round picks could certainly help us.

Cut:

Okay, got Lofton done. It's a start.

I would say "Cut or Trade" these players... the cap hit/saving is the same either way and the other team benefits in that they do not have to compete in free agency and only have to pay the seasons base salary.

What would a team running a 4-3 be willing to give us in exchange for a season of Vilma at 4.8 mil? 2 seasons of P.Thomas at 2.1 mil this season? etc?

Maybe not much but a couple extra mid round picks could certainly help us.

The only one with possible trade value is Pierre Thomas and it would be a late round pick.

The only one with possible trade value is Pierre Thomas and it would be a late round pick.

I would figure Vilma would be worth something to a team that did not want to risk him going elsewhere, he still is a very quality MLB and a smart leader of defense. I am not saying any of them would have great value... but a pair of 5th or 6th round picks would be nice. Nicer than nothing anyway.

Cut:

Thankfully Jenkins is in the last year of his contract, can't restructure him. We'd actually save a ton by cutting him and unlike Harper his backup has started and is proven.

I would figure Vilma would be worth something to a team that did not want to risk him going elsewhere, he still is a very quality MLB and a smart leader of defense. I am not saying any of them would have great value... but a pair of 5th or 6th round picks would be nice. Nicer than nothing anyway.

No one is going to take on Vilma's contract, much less give us a pick to do so. Vilma is going to have a soft market and other teams knows we will cut him.

We might get a late round pick for PT since he has a reasonable contract, but nothing for Vilma.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom