2013 player cap hit website here... (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Graham is being attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around its axis.

Will Smith cap figure = $14,541,666!!!!!!
:no: JK
But besides the devil's number that is waaaaaayyyyy tooooo much money for him.
Colston, Sproles, and Graham's combined cap figure is around $11,840,000
Our best 3 offenses' players (besides Brees) make less than an okay, aging DE!
Something is really wrong with that
Cut his pay or cut him loose

How much of Will Smith's number will be a "cap hit" if he's released? Not all "14,541,666" I'm guessing. think it may make more financial sense to restructure him.

How much of Will Smith's number will be a "cap hit" if he's released? Not all "14,541,666" I'm guessing. think it may make more financial sense to restructure him.

From the NOLA article by Triplett in November which discussed the defensive players and their cap implications if kept and cut.

Regarding Smith:
If released: Saints would be charged $6.8 million in pro-rated signing bonuses over 2013 and 2014

New Orleans Saints' defensive salary-cap figures for 2013 | NOLA.com

Looking at that something BIG has to be done about Smith, Vilma and Harper, as we know...

Nearest I can tell the only guys we would save a million plus from cutting (or trading)are as follows.
Listed with savings from cutting and player name.

9,000,000 Will Smith
4,800,000 Jonathan Vilma
3,400,000 Roman Harper
2,414,000 Malcolm Jenkins
2,225,000 Zach Strief
2,050,000 Darren Sproles
1,700,000 Pierre Thomas
1,500,000 David Thomas
1,500,000 Will Herring
1,323,000 Jimmy Graham
1,155,600 Garret Hartley

*my numbers are of course not completely accurate, just my guess, and obviously some of these guys like Graham we are not going to cut unless our front office, coaching staff, and ownership go stark raving mad.

Nearest I can tell the only guys we would save a million plus from cutting (or trading)are as follows.
Listed with savings from cutting and player name.

9,000,000 Will Smith
4,800,000 Jonathan Vilma
3,400,000 Roman Harper
2,225,000 Zach Strief
1,500,000 David Thomas
1,500,000 Will Herring
Bye, bye,later, cya, adios, and bye.

Smith, Vilma, and Harper are tough sentimental cuts because of their leadership but because of their age, and scheme fits, not to mention their huge salaries pretty self explanatory.

Strief I think was too much of a liability last season he even himself said he cost us the KC game. We will be Drafting a cheaper replacement for Bushrod, and go with Jones, Brown, Harris as a open competition at RT.

David Thomas is a really tough cut to make, he's great solid back-up but he's had Concussion issues the past few years, not to mention Higgins is cheaper, and Graham will be due his new contract soon. Would love to have him but this is an age move to get younger.

Will Herring - pretty easy move was one of our worst Defenders last season and isn't a 3-4 fit.

Bye, bye,later, cya, adios, and bye.

Smith, Vilma, and Harper are tough sentimental cuts because of their leadership but because of their age, and scheme fits, not to mention their huge salaries pretty self explanatory.

Strief I think was too much of a liability last season he even himself said he cost us the KC game. We will be Drafting a cheaper replacement for Bushrod, and go with Jones, Brown, Harris as a open competition at RT.

David Thomas is a really tough cut to make, he's great solid back-up but he's had Concussion issues the past few years, not to mention Higgins is cheaper, and Graham will be due his new contract soon. Would love to have him but this is an age move to get younger.

Will Herring - pretty easy move was one of our worst Defenders last season and isn't a 3-4 fit.

I think you may have just nailed the cut list, my friend.

Hadn't heard much speculation on this board about cutting Thomas and none about Strief, but I'd totally understand if it happened. I was no fan of Strief's play in 2012.

Another angle:

9,000,000 Will Smith, 31 years old
4,800,000 Jonathan Vilma, 30 years old
3,400,000 Roman Harper, 30 years old
2,414,000 Malcolm Jenkins, 25 years old
2,225,000 Zach Strief, 29 years old
2,050,000 Darren Sproles, 29 years old
1,700,000 Pierre Thomas, 28 years old
1,500,000 David Thomas, 29 years old
1,500,000 Will Herring, 29 years old
1,323,000 Jimmy Graham, 26 years old
1,155,600 Garret Hartley, 26 years old

Of these players, only Jenkins and Graham are on the verge of hitting their prime. Hartley as a kicker has a different primetime age.

But people, that is what happens when you keep extending and renegotiating contract to veterans: you get in cap trouble. You may be able to expand your yearly cap, but at some point it will come back and bite you the way we are right now.

I know Mickey can do magic, but I prefer to start biting the bullet, cut players and absorb cap loses.

I get really nervous when people start kicking names like Ed Reed, Anthony Spencer, etc. They are veterans that won't come cheap and are way past their prime. I am not against signing free agents, but we should be very careful in signing a player to a contract that will outlast the quality of their performance.

Because Thomas is currently a valuable reserve and worth $1.5 million. Strief at $2 million is not terrible and we currently have no replacement. I am surprised Herring is not gone already.

Cutting Vilma, Harper, Smith saves $19 million
Restructuring/extending Brees and Evans can save up to an additional $12-$14 million

We're $13 million over I believe but it would be fairly straight forward to get to $15 to $18 million under the cap.

Of course, keep in mind we have a draft class and replacements for expired contracts and the players I named to sign. So $15 million really isn't that much. But I suspect we'll get at least one starter level free agent out of this offseason,

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom