2013 playoff game against eagles is on (1 Viewer)

I was just discussing this game recently. We took down a red hot offense, and Keenan Lewis took out their best receiver. We were also able to balance the running game between Ingram and Khiry. Had we beat Seattle, I thought this team was good enough to win the Super bowl.

Remember taking the trip to Philly for the game and going to the Always Sunny bar after.
Nice trip.

I was just discussing this game recently. We took down a red hot offense, and Keenan Lewis took out their best receiver. We were also able to balance the running game between Ingram and Khiry. Had we beat Seattle, I thought this team was good enough to win the Super bowl.
We never had any chance against Seattle.

Yeah, Seattle was a team of destiny that season and they had already pummeled us in the regular season.

I’ve literally never felt less confident in a Saints game and less surprised by an outcome than I was in that 2013 divisional round.

Those two losses to Seattle really set us back for a few seasons because those games got Payton enamored with the Legion of Boom and wanted to recreate it here in 2014. So he allowed Jenkins to leave and they signed Jarius Byrd.

Yeah, Seattle was a team of destiny that season and they had already pummeled us in the regular season.

I’ve literally never felt less confident in a Saints game and less surprised by an outcome than I was in that 2013 divisional round.

Those two losses to Seattle really set us back for a few seasons because those games got Payton enamored with the Legion of Boom and wanted to recreate it here in 2014. So he allowed Jenkins to leave and they signed Jarius Byrd.
I was still hopeful lol. If I remember correctly, we did a better job against them defensively in the playoffs, but we couldn't move the ball to save our lives.

We were worried about Percy Harvin, but Raphael Bush took care of him.

I really hate that Payton changed the defense because we had some talent and people were making plays.

Looking back at this play, I don't believe Bush was trying to go for the head.

I was happy we were in the game, Seattle was the better team with their defense.....

I remember that Philly game as a MI highlight film, he ran hard in that one!!!

I was happy we were in the game, Seattle was the better team with their defense.....

I remember that Philly game as a MI highlight film, he ran hard in that one!!!
Yeah, if Keenan Lewis hadn’t gotten injured in the Philly game, we win that one going away. But the way it ended was perfect. I love the ABSOLUTE dead silence in the stadium when Graham swished the game winning FG.

It’s actually one of my favorite Saints memories. Just sticking it to such an unpleasant fan base was amazing.

Honestly 2013 was a big “only if” season. Had Gallette gotten the holding call, we beat Brady in Foxboro. If Greer doesn’t get injured against 49ers, our defense would have been in much better shape for the home stretch. If Payton had elected to start Charles Brown at LT as opposed to a green rookie in Terron Armstead at Carolina in a pivotal game, I think we win that game and the South.

But obviously, all football seasons have a few “only ifs” sprinkled about.

Yeah there haven’t been too many teams over the years going back to the mid to late 80s when I started following the Saints that I’ve been more peeved over a particular teams “run” than those Legion of Boom Seattle teams/years.

To me, they will always embody the black hole in my heart that I felt when it appeared the Saints had peaked and everyone “forgot” about our Super Bowl win. Pride and ego type of thought, but an honest one.

Yeah, if Keenan Lewis hadn’t gotten injured in the Philly game, we win that one going away. But the way it ended was perfect. I love the ABSOLUTE dead silence in the stadium when Graham swished the game winning FG.

It’s actually one of my favorite Saints memories. Just sticking it to such an unpleasant fan base was amazing.

Honestly 2013 was a big “only if” season. Had Gallette gotten the holding call, we beat Brady in Foxboro. If Greer doesn’t get injured against 49ers, our defense would have been in much better shape for the home stretch. If Payton had elected to start Charles Brown at LT as opposed to a green rookie in Terron Armstead at Carolina in a pivotal game, I think we win that game and the South.

But obviously, all football seasons have a few “only ifs” sprinkled about.

Yup, disagree on the Charles Brown comment, he was absolutely horrible, a turnstile.....CSP's mistake there was not starting Armstead earlier in the season, with a few games under his belt he would have been fine.....and Carolina, if memory serves, had a very good dline back then.....

Yup, disagree on the Charles Brown comment, he was absolutely horrible, a turnstile.....CSP's mistake there was not starting Armstead earlier in the season, with a few games under his belt he would have been fine.....and Carolina, if memory serves, had a very good dline back then.....
True, but Brown had handled it pretty well 2 weeks earlier when we pummeled the Panthers 31-13 on National TV. Armstead was throughly outmatched in the game and even if Brown had just been mediocre in the rematch, I think he fares better than Armstead did.

But I do agree that if the plan was to play Armstead all along, he should have done it with less on the line, earlier in the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom