Vikings picked Erik kendricks after that

Miss after miss

We have terrible scouts or incompetent gm:coach who makes these
Decisions and it has cost us.

Danielle fricking hunter
He was in our backyard and we don't have a clue he will be a stud
6-5 250 pass rusher with great speed.

Jesus Christ

The same happens in other directions and it is not related to drafts only.
Snead is with us now.... ignored from several other teams before.
Breaux is a similar story.
Talking about draft? one Word: Armstead!

Let me know when you have found the magic wand to see in the future and always be 100% certain how a player will develop in the next years or get injured.

This is a serious thread. The 2015 draft was supposed to be a foundation draft. The draft was not strong at the very top--the talent had thinned out when we were on the clock at 13. And the injuries to Williams and Swann were beyond our control, and both along with Davidson were good picks.

However, we had three high picks. Peat at 13, certainly in retrospect, was a poor pick, though 2015 was a bad year to be picking at 13. He may improve, but he certainly was not a first-degree talent and at best will be an average starter in the league.

Anthony has the talent, and we will find next year whether he becomes the core player he looked last year or whether the organization picked a player who is a bad fit for what it wants to do on defense or whom it is incapable of developing.

Kikaha was picked too high given his 40 time and medical history.

The only post or threads I ever see from you freshcakes are negative ones, why even follow this team if you're not going to take the good with the bad? Enjoy the ride of being a saints fan if not go be a Falcons fan.

This dude said 'freshcakes." LOL!
Y'all kill me with these so called unofficial rules of being a fan, trying to administer a "loyalty test" like this is some type of pep rally in school. :aargh:

Danielle Hunter is a young talent. I saw flashes at LSU ... credit the Vikings with solid coaching and putting better players around him.

Andrus Peat: Starting LG. Not going to win post-season acolades as of this moment. But playing above average. If he gives us 10 years of consistent above average play, even at guard, what, you're gonna tell me that's unacceptable? All 1st round picks must be good to elite? I wasn't overly excited by anyone but Marcus Peters, who we weren't going to touch due to his character concerns. And Bud Dupree...but only because he was an athletic freak. (What has Dupre even done? I keep forgetting to check.) This was a positive pick for us.

Stephone Anthony: Lost his starting spot to JL, who is simply more experienced as a MLB. Cannot get on the field in Dennis Allen's defense for some reason. Clearly has physical talent, though.

Hau'oli Kikaha: Been awesome. When healthy and playing. ACL was improperly repaired in college, resulting in a 2nd tear. Then tears it again in the NFL. We knew of his history. We took a chance. Hindsight 20/20 etc. Still on PUP. Are they hoping his recovery is faster than expected? I dunno.

Garrett Grayson: Payton personally flew out to evaluate him. Either he wasn't sufficiently impressed by anything else on board or he saw something he liked in that workout. But he took him. And it doesn't appear that Grayson has what it takes to be anything more than a backup. Oh tragedy. A 3rd down quarterback isn't a starter capable player maybe? Eh. I didn't much care for him when we took him. But we had a lot of picks this year. I don't care if this one misses. At all.

PJ Williams: Didn't have nearly the same injury concerns coming out of college. More a possible character concern. Except, it wasn't really. And if not, he goes in the first or early second round. A tremendous value pick. Steal quality. Then he goes on IR. Annoying. And when finally healthy, showed what he was made of. Then he gets his bell thoroughly run and is put on IR for his personal safety. Just pure bad luck. But an A+ pick.

Davis Tull: An undersized 3-4 rush linebacker. We aren't in a 3-4 anymore. Had injury issues (growing theme), finally healthy...but he just can't make plays. He'll need to learn a lot of advanced technique to succeed. Just using speed won't cut it. The pick didn't work out long term. Oh well.

Tyeler Davison: Great pick then. Great pick now. Big, physical. A rotational DT that could become more as he gets experience. A little banged up, but that happens. Doesn't sound like he'll miss any games going forward. Another good pick.

Damian Swann: We traded up for this guy and he played extremely well. But man, the concussions and general health concerns might derail his career for good. A great pick.

Marcus Murphy: It's like his hands are too small or something. When he catches the ball cleanly and holds on to it, he's dangerous. But he can't hold the friggin' ball, which is untenable. A good pick that late. But eventually, I can see us cutting him...and then getting his act together for another team and scoring like 3 punt return TDs in a season. And we'll have to deal with the threads.

So...3 injured players (Kikaha, Williams, Swann). 2 currently contributing picks (Peat and Davison). 1 guy on practice squad (Grayson). 1 guy who was inactive and a great many don't like and want cut (Murphy). 1 guy we straight up just cut and is on another team's practice squad (Tull). And finally 1 guy who just can't seem to get on the field even though he's active, talented, and a high draft pick (Anthony).

Doesn't sound like a poor draft to me. An unlucky one, sure. But not endemic of us doing something wrong as an organization. Looks like we're doing the exact opposite.

Andrus Peat: Starting LG. Not going to win post-season acolades as of this moment. But playing above average. If he gives us 10 years of consistent above average play, even at guard, what, you're gonna tell me that's unacceptable? All 1st round picks must be good to elite? I wasn't overly excited by anyone but Marcus Peters, who we weren't going to touch due to his character concerns. And Bud Dupree...but only because he was an athletic freak. (What has Dupre even done? I keep forgetting to check.) This was a positive pick for us.

Stephone Anthony: Lost his starting spot to JL, who is simply more experienced as a MLB. Cannot get on the field in Dennis Allen's defense for some reason. Clearly has physical talent, though.

Hau'oli Kikaha: Been awesome. When healthy and playing. ACL was improperly repaired in college, resulting in a 2nd tear. Then tears it again in the NFL. We knew of his history. We took a chance. Hindsight 20/20 etc. Still on PUP. Are they hoping his recovery is faster than expected? I dunno.

Garrett Grayson: Payton personally flew out to evaluate him. Either he wasn't sufficiently impressed by anything else on board or he saw something he liked in that workout. But he took him. And it doesn't appear that Grayson has what it takes to be anything more than a backup. Oh tragedy. A 3rd down quarterback isn't a starter capable player maybe? Eh. I didn't much care for him when we took him. But we had a lot of picks this year. I don't care if this one misses. At all.

PJ Williams: Didn't have nearly the same injury concerns coming out of college. More a possible character concern. Except, it wasn't really. And if not, he goes in the first or early second round. A tremendous value pick. Steal quality. Then he goes on IR. Annoying. And when finally healthy, showed what he was made of. Then he gets his bell thoroughly run and is put on IR for his personal safety. Just pure bad luck. But an A+ pick.

Davis Tull: An undersized 3-4 rush linebacker. We aren't in a 3-4 anymore. Had injury issues (growing theme), finally healthy...but he just can't make plays. He'll need to learn a lot of advanced technique to succeed. Just using speed won't cut it. The pick didn't work out long term. Oh well.

Tyeler Davison: Great pick then. Great pick now. Big, physical. A rotational DT that could become more as he gets experience. A little banged up, but that happens. Doesn't sound like he'll miss any games going forward. Another good pick.

Damian Swann: We traded up for this guy and he played extremely well. But man, the concussions and general health concerns might derail his career for good. A great pick.

Marcus Murphy: It's like his hands are too small or something. When he catches the ball cleanly and holds on to it, he's dangerous. But he can't hold the friggin' ball, which is untenable. A good pick that late. But eventually, I can see us cutting him...and then getting his act together for another team and scoring like 3 punt return TDs in a season. And we'll have to deal with the threads.

So...3 injured players (Kikaha, Williams, Swann). 2 currently contributing picks (Peat and Davison). 1 guy on practice squad (Grayson). 1 guy who was inactive and a great many don't like and want cut (Murphy). 1 guy we straight up just cut and is on another team's practice squad (Tull). And finally 1 guy who just can't seem to get on the field even though he's active, talented, and a high draft pick (Anthony).

Doesn't sound like a poor draft to me. An unlucky one, sure. But not endemic of us doing something wrong as an organization. Looks like we're doing the exact opposite.

Great post. BTW, Dupree is on IR, and had four sacks last year.

2015 draft could have gone several ways but they drafted it as they saw it.

We were tied to Anthony/Kendricks early. With us basically following Anthony around starting from the Senior Bowl and RR met with Kendricks for his pro-day. I think If Anthony would have gotten drafted by the Packers we would have gone another direction.

I also think we would have drafted Collins at 13 had he not had his issues with the Law prior to the draft. Oline I think was always the target there.

The Wild Card believe it or not and it was noted that Payton liked him was Shane Ray. Had he slipped to 31 I don't think there was any way we would have passed on him considering we took that chance on Kikaha in the 2nd round there had to be a little more to that decision. Won't say it was a panic pick but I think they felt the drop off was significant after that.

I think the Tull pick was tied to the Kikaha pick. We drafted 2 of those guys because we knew of the risk with Kikaha. Nabbing 2 and hoping 1 pans out was a safe bet that I understand now and understood then. IF Kikaha doesn't tear his ACL during this off-season the pick is likely justified.

Williams was a good pick as was Davison and Swann was in the same vein as Tull as it was meant to be a fall back option should PJ Williams not progress.

Grayson of course was handpicked by SP and I can't say I'm upset with the pick. Everyone was clamoring for a QB and some teams believe that taking a QB ever year is a safe bet so...this pick was understood.

Draft could have easily gone : La'el Collins, Shane Ray, Kendricks with a little luck.

Just didn't work out like that.

It was one of those drafts where we tried to balance out risk with another option. Kikaha and Williams were risk. Oline, LB, and DT are relatively safe picks in the world of the NFL because they can be covered up should they miss. A miss on a DT means he's likely a rotational guy...still serviceable. A miss on an Olineman means you can move him around from T to G should he not pan out. A miss on a MLB means you can move him around to SAM/Will. Misses on the outside at skill positions like CB/Passrusher are much more significant thus the double up picks.

A little bad luck went a long way...which 2 our credit it is still a serviceable draft. I think this years draft is going to be better...easilyt...and It was also Irelands 1st full draft where he admittedly didn't have a full grasp on the prospects in last years draft and much of the information provided was from the now defunct Ryan Pace's lead scouts

Agreed. Good points. Like the insight provided.

We will have to agree to disagree on Peat. He is not currently playing above average and, in my view, will not be consistently playing above average for 10 years. At this time, he is a marginal starter.

And Kikaha played well over the first half of the 2015 season, but I do not remember him being productive, for whatever reasons, at the end of the season. It seems hyperbole to say he was "awesome".

We will have to agree to disagree on Peat. He is not currently playing above average and, in my view, will not be consistently playing above average for 10 years. At this time, he is a marginal starter.

And Kikaha played well over the first half of the 2015 season, but I do not remember him being productive, for whatever reasons, at the end of the season. It seems hyperbole to say he was "awesome".

Forcing four fumbles isn't awesome to you? And he isn't the one who said "Hey, drop back into coverage a lot." That was Rob Ryan.

Two words for ya. JOE VITT.

With this guy coaching our Linebackers we could have drafted Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman and it wouldn't matter. Can Les Miles coach defense? Heard he's looking for work?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom