2016 Louisiana High School Playoffs [Updated for Week 2] (2 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know what the best solution for high school football is in Louisiana, but what happened tonight is not it.

I was watching my local news tonight and noticed the great disparity in the scores of the local games. Most of the games were very lopsided as was the case for many games during regular season play.

So I went to a complete scoreboard after seeing the local news and reviewed the scores for the 100 playoff games played tonight. That's 200 teams in the high school post-season. I know the LHSAA now has 5 public and 4 private divisions, but 200 teams, many who have losing records, is ridiculous.

Of the 100 games tonight the average margin of victory was 27.4 points. Only 15 games were decided by single digit points.

There has to be a better solution for the high school football system in Louisiana.

Agreed there are too many teams
But they're kinda locked in to the tourney bracket model now right?
So either you're going to cut it down to 16 - which would create even more howls

Plus top of bracket vs bottom of bracket is going to create scoring disparities usually
And the middle bracket games will be close

Young man from St. Paul's injured neck in game. Went into surgery ...so all I know so far was no feeling below waist.

Terribly sad.

So lil more info...they preformed 4 hr surgery last night ...removed a disc. Now at University Hospital and today they will go in to assess and repair nerve damage best they can.

For now young man is paralyzed from chest down.

They had a swimmer suffer exact same injury last year and thru surgeries and therapy regained total function.

So please keep him in thoughts. Sophomore too. Young kids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Natchitoches Central had a "win and in" game against Ruston last week. Their record headed into the game was 3-6. They didn't win, but even if they did, what business would a 4-6 team have being in the post season? I don't understand this system at all.

I lost interest in my school's playoffs ever since they moved to the Catholic/Private school playoff system. Winning that little bracket does not make you a true state champion. I know it's different from 5a to 4a and so on. But 5a had nothing to complain about. Even if a school like St. Paul's was undefeated in regular season, they would lose to a public school at some point in the playoffs. It's still schools like West Monroe, Destrahan, and Acadiana who would destroy a Catholic school. In my years at St. Paul's I did not mind losing to Acadiana twice and Thibodaux twice in the playoffs my four years there. At least we were in the real playoffs. So what if we beat Curtis or whoever in these new playoffs, I wish the Catholic/Private school champ could play the public school champ to decide who the real champ is.

I don't know what the best solution for high school football is in Louisiana, but what happened tonight is not it.

I was watching my local news tonight and noticed the great disparity in the scores of the local games. Most of the games were very lopsided as was the case for many games during regular season play.

So I went to a complete scoreboard after seeing the local news and reviewed the scores for the 100 playoff games played tonight. That's 200 teams in the high school post-season. I know the LHSAA now has 5 public and 4 private divisions, but 200 teams, many who have losing records, is ridiculous.

Of the 100 games tonight the average margin of victory was 27.4 points. Only 15 games were decided by single digit points.

There has to be a better solution for the high school football system in Louisiana.

Tonight's results are in and they are very similar to last week.

The average margin of victory was 26.5 points and only 10 of 56 games were decided by single digits. Louisiana and the LHSAA can do better than this.

what I don't understand - Newman (not a great year for them .500 reg season record)
they're ranked 12th and travel to 5th ranked team
they beat that team, but then the next game against the 4th ranked team is played at Newman??

Tonight's results are in and they are very similar to last week.

The average margin of victory was 26.5 points and only 10 of 56 games were decided by single digits. Louisiana and the LHSAA can do better than this.

My Facebook feed was full of "Second round of playoffs! Go *insert team here*!" posts yesterday afternoon, then last night it was all "We lost by *insert comically lopsided double digit blowout score." This playoff system is idiocy.

what I don't understand - Newman (not a great year for them .500 reg season record)
they're ranked 12th and travel to 5th ranked team
they beat that team, but then the next game against the 4th ranked team is played at Newman??

If the lower ranked team traveled an won they will host the higher ranked team if they won and were at home.

^ is that for financial reasons?
Doesn't seem to make much sene competitively

Not sure of the real reason but it's almost impossible not to travel at least once if you go all the way. Because it can be a financial burden on smaller schools that doesn't have big crowds. With officials pay and having to feed visiting team plus I think host team has to pay part of travel for visitors can get pricey. I had a principal tell me once that it was more beneficial for them to travel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom