2016 Saints Offense could be NFL's Best Ever (1 Viewer)

The offense should be fine & much better than 2015 #2 ranked offense as long as Payton run the offense through Drew Brees & the passing game to setup the run. And not force feed the running game like he did with the first 3 games in 2015.

Calm down bro
Cooks is good, possibly an ascending player
Snead is decent
Everybody else is unproved -
The RBs aren't anything special
The line has question marks

I guess we will see. Just a couple of points to consider which some people completely forget.

First, Payton's great strength as a coach is putting players in situations where they rely on their strengths and don't expose their weaknesses. In the preseason, Payton does not game plan, calls plays where it will put one player or a group of players in situations he wants to see, so that he can see how players react. It's a teaching learning method rather than a win the game mentality. Many posters on here forget that then criticize players and coaches constantly for doing exactly what Payton wants.

Second, lots of freak out about Peat. The guy has practiced and played in multiple positions coming in. Hand placement, foot placement, how a player comes out of a stance, how they pivot, hand punch, heck everything is different from one side to the other, let alone guard where in this offense they are to stop and maul the players in a box to the tackle position where they contain and essentially force them to run around and behind the pocket. Very different techniques. But yes, let's criticize endlessly. Besides when Long is healthy and motivated he is very good. That just doesn't happen that often.

To top it off, going on about the WRs, I thought people understood the offense by now. Any player, any route, anytime. Cooks last season was the only player defenses knew, was the only WR Drew had any chemistry with so guess who defenses keyed on to stop. Once the season progressed and you could see Brees getting comfortable with the other WRs, then you could see how they became more effective as Brees trusted them to be where they needed to be so he could anticipate throws.

Payton hasn't had an offense below top 5. Listening to some makes you think all of a sudden we have become the Browns. His teams struggles have always been defensive, and this year it seems he's gotten rid of the names and Egos and found a guy who is disciplined, sound strategy and communicates and teaches clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key in my eyes is the defense. One of the overlooked aspects why the '09 & '11 offenses were so good is because our D gave them more opportunities to rack up yards and score.

When a defense can't get off the field, I don't care if you're Elway or Montana, you're going to feel that extra pressure to compensate for it.

We won't approach that 2011 team. That was the best offense ever.

Biggest issue this year is the O-Line. All the best QBs and skill players in the world won't matter if we can't block.

Agree 100%. Drew is why this team succeeds or fails. You don't give him a clean pocket and it will be a long season. Strief is still here...after almost ending Drew's career last year. I just don't get it.

The 2011 OL was Nicks and Evans. DLP, Strief and Bushrod weren't world beaters.

Unger and Armstead are top 3 at C and LT. If Strief, Peat, Kelemete, Lelito, Allen and Turner can be even slightly above average at the other 3 spots we're golden.

Ingram, Spiller, Hightower, Lasco, Murphy and Cadet is the deepest RB group we've ever had.

Kuhn could be the best FB we've ever had.

Cooks, Snead, Fleener, Coleman, Thomas, Hooman and Lewis look to be as good or better a group as any Drew's broken records with before.

Our offense is tops in the league year after year.
Just the fact that we are arguing whether or not our offense will or won't be the single greatest offense ever in the entire history of the NFL is pretty awesome.

Agreed it is awesome but people quickly forget that Nicks was probably the best OG in the NFL back then, with Jahri a close second. We don't have that kind of talent at the OG position now which is critical for the Saints style of offense.....If we even approach the level of the 2011 or even 2009 offense I will be very pleasantly surprised.....

It's going to be interesting to see how it all works out, but I just don't see it with this team. We are too young at this point and don't have a real leading group on Offense. Cooks makes plays, Snead makes plays. Fleener will make some plays, Ingram will bat the ball and fumble a bit, then he'll likely end up with some kind of injury ( just being realistic ) . . I doubt Spiller plays much better, but who knows. Sure we will score lots of points due to the shoot outs, but I don't think we have a 62 point Offense, not by a long shot.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised though.

Though I love the enthusiasm, pump the brakes. If this team is half as good as the 2011 offense than playoffs are in sight.

Yeah, I'll settle for half as good. I don't see the quality and depth of playmakers on this team like 2011. And as mentioned, the online looks suspect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom