2017 Draft: Mahomes 'gave the chiefs a little info' (1 Viewer)

Would have loved to have him as a Saint! He was just looking out for himself and of course he is going to say that he wanted to be playing for a Chief! That’s what players say when they are with their team. Didn’t Chris Paul he wanted to remain here in New Orleans? Obvious BS, but still.

Good for Mahomes, sucks for us!
He specifically said that the Saints weren't a factor in him talking to KC. People just want to hate on greatness. It's a horrible trait.

Much like the recent Winston interview with Underhill proved, people posting here clearly weren't as interested in reading the linked information as they were more focused on using it as a thinly veiled excuse to labour their regular criticisms of the usual suspects.

Mahomes drafted by Chiefs, ergo 'It's all Payton's fault' 🤣🤣🤣

I remember that I was happy when the Chiefs traded up to pick him, because I knew Payton was going to pick Mahomes and Lattimore was falling right into our lap.

The consensus draft talk was that Mahomes wasn’t close to being worth the #11 pick. He couldn’t even lead his college team to a winning record. How could he do so in the NFL?

Of course, sometimes the consensus draft opinion is wrong, usually it’s right, but sometimes it’s wrong.

I remember that I was happy when the Chiefs traded up to pick him, because I knew Payton was going to pick Mahomes and Lattimore was falling right into our lap.

The consensus draft talk was that Mahomes wasn’t close to being worth the #11 pick. He couldn’t even lead his college team to a winning record. How could he do so in the NFL?

Of course, sometimes the consensus draft opinion is wrong, usually it’s right, but sometimes it’s wrong.
Well most of the time players with success were drafted in a perfect situation. Mahomes got lucky. He probably wouldn't have the same success if he was drafted somewhere else. If he was drafted by the browns or the jets, he might be a back up somewhere. I don't think Drew Brees would of have the same success if he signed with Miami. I always thought Marcus Mariota was a Mahomes type of player coming out of Oregon. But he wasn't surrounded by good offensive minded coaches and players like Mahomes.

Last edited:
Even with the Saints in their run, SP, and Brees in his twilight Mahommes still did not want to come here. At the time of that pick, I’m not sure there was a better franchise location for a young QB. It’s way past time we face a difficult truth, not many players or coaches would choose to live in SE LA if they have options.

I have seen on this forum references to what Payton supposedly said on a golf course before the draft. True? No idea. However, keep in mind that not only were the Saints drafting at 11, but that Houston, which wanted a quarterback and selected Watson, was picking at 12.

And professional athletes like to play on teams where their skills will be maximized and they can be well compensated, and where they can win championships. I disagree that young players, especially those out of college, are reluctant to play professional football in New Orleans because of the city's many issues. I do agree that the city's many problems are a reason that so few professional athletes who play in New Orleans stay in New Orleans after their playing days end. But there are safe places in the New Orleans area to live in. There are exceptional schools in the New Orleans area that the children of well-paid parents can attend. Every city has its drawbacks. I would love to live, at least for a time, on Upper East Side New York (or London), but my financial wherewithal would have to be exponentially greater than it in fact is.

I am in no way ignoring the city's many problems--the crime, the litter, the condition of the streets, an abnormally large underclass that contributes little to a tax base and otherwise to the city, dysfunctional city government, and a toxic focus on race for too many. I recently moved back to the metropolitan area and did not even consider buying a home in Orleans Parish. But I do not think the city's problems are a factor of note with attracting professional athletes. There are a number of other American cities like St. Louis and Baltimore that have the same problems that New Orleans has, but I know of no young baseball players who avoid the baseball Cardinals, or young football players who avoid the Ravens, because of crime and other social problems in the cities where those teams play.

Last edited:
I have seen on this forum references to what Payton supposedly said on a golf course before the draft. True? No idea. However, keep in mind that not only were the Saints drafting at 12, but that Houston, which wanted a quarterback and selected Watson, was picking at 13.
You might take that to mean Payton was enticing trade up offers from teams wanting a QB ahead of Houston.

But being honest, collectively we display an infinite ability to infer almost whatever we like these days...

I guess it doesn't really surprise me he wanted to be drafted by KC. They were much better than the Saints were 2015-2016. Plus, he was gonna sit at least 3 seasons if we look when Drew retired.

I don't like the guy already so this just adds more ammo. Him and his Kermit voice and walks like he's got a **** up his ***!
Yeah, starting from last year, I started feeling the same way. I love to watch him play but he is sometimes whiney and has a vinegar based feminine hygiene attitude sometimes when he doesn't get calls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom