2018 College Football Playoff Thread (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
LSU is #3 in the first rankings, which isn't he kiss of death. No team initially ranked #3 has ever made the playoffs if I am not mistaken.

Being it.

Ohhhhh, if only LSU can pull the "upset" this weekend.

Only because the best team they've played this year is TAMU.
Alabama has had a relatively weak schedule, but they’ve dominated everyone. We haven’t looked as consistently dominant. Maybe we’ve improved or maybe we played down to the competition, with the exception of Georgia. I think we’ll play well against Bama and give them their best test to date. What we don’t know is how much better Alabama can play when they have to. Being battle tested helps, but this opponent is unlike any we’ve faced. Is it justa weak schedule that has created a false impression or are they really on another level. This game should answer that question.

Alabama has been outscored in the 4th quarter this year because they are playing their 4th string by then. Their starting QB hasn’t taken a SNAP in the 4th this year. Think about that. They could’ve beaten every opponent by 70 if they wanted to.

What we don’t know is how much better Alabama can play when they have to.
Alabama has been outscored in the 4th quarter this year because they are playing their 4th string by then. Their starting QB hasn’t taken a SNAP in the 4th this year. Think about that. They could’ve beaten every opponent by 70 if they wanted to.
So basically, I think you guys are making it clear... if we can get Tua Tagovailoa to play into the 4th quarter, we must be doing something right. :scratch:
At least I hope Saban won't be keeping him in just to hang 70 on us. :covri:

So basically, I think you guys are making it clear... if we can get Tua Tagovailoa to play into the 4th quarter, we must be doing something right. :scratch:
At least I hope Saban won't be keeping him in just to hang 70 on us. :covri:
Hurts is questionable, so Tua might be playing the whole game anyway.

Alabama has had a relatively weak schedule, but they’ve dominated everyone. We haven’t looked as consistently dominant. Maybe we’ve improved or maybe we played down to the competition, with the exception of Georgia.
Context is everything.

There is nothing relative about the weakness of Bama's schedule. It is laughably weak. Louisville (101), Arkansas State (85), Ole Miss (123), TAMU (24), ULL (114), Arkansas (82), Mizzou (84) and Tenn (61) in total defensive yards allowed. The only respectable ranking there is TAMU at #61 and their average ypp is 6.1 leading one to see their total defensive ranking is an anomaly. (By comparison, LSU's and Bama's yyp is 4.79 and 4.71, respectively.) These are ridiculously terrible defenses and none of them (including the Bama defense in practices and the spring game) have the ability to play press and man-to-man with Bama receivers. So yes, they have indeed dominated defenses ranked in the bottom half of defenses in college football. If you take out Bama's offensive performance, that rises slightly. This week and the next (Miss State) Bama will be playing two physically imposing defense who are not afraid of them. That's quite a difference than anything they have seen thus far, including practices and a spring game.

Having seen almost every snap of every Bama game this year, their receivers have almost NEVER been pressed. They are almost always yards away from the DB. Tua is almost never rushed to make a throw. They're basically playing 7 on 7 football. LSU will have the advantage of playing man on the outside, leaving a safety in the box to defend the run and having a LBer shadow Tua. It's going to be just a matter of forcing him to throw when he doesn't want to throw and letting the CBs make a play.

Last edited:
Context is everything.

There is nothing relative about the weakness of Bama's schedule. It is laughably weak. Louisville (101), Arkansas State (85), Ole Miss (123), TAMU (24), ULL (114), Arkansas (82), Mizzou (84) and Tenn (61) in total defensive yards allowed. The only respectable ranking there is TAMU at #61 and their average ypp is 6.1 leading one to see their total defensive ranking is an anomaly. (By comparison, LSU's and Bama's yyp is 4.79 and 4.71, respectively.) These are ridiculously terrible defenses and none of them (including the Bama defense in practices and the spring game) have the ability to play press and man-to-man with Bama receivers. So yes, they have indeed dominated defenses ranked in the bottom half of defenses in college football. If you take out Bama's offensive performance, that rises slightly. This week and the next (Miss State) Bama will be playing two physically imposing defense who are not afraid of them. That's quite a difference than anything they have seen thus far, including practices and a spring game.

Having seen almost every snap of every Bama game this year, their receivers have NEVER been pressed. They are almost always yards away from the DB. Tua is almost never rushed to make a throw. They're basically playing 7 on 7 football. LSU will have the advantage of playing man on the outside, leaving a safety in the box to defend the run and having a LBer shadow Tua. It's going to be just a matter of forcing him to throw when he doesn't want to throw and letting the CBs make a play.
Do you have a license to be spreading that kind of hope on us gullible Tigers fans?
Shame on you for making us believe we have a chance on Saturday!
:ezbill:

Anyone watching Temple/UCF right now? 700 yards of offense and 62 points at the half. Jeez, people. No defense?

Still waiting on the platoff polls, but LSU drops to #9 and #10 on the Coaches and AP polls. The teams ranked above LSU will play each other before the season ends with the exception of Wazzu. LSU has a pretty decent shot of finishing the season ranked #5 and a Sugar Bowl berth if they keep winning. Not a bad way to end up after the preseason consensus of 6 wins by everyone not a delusional LSU fan.

Just need to avoid the letdown vs Arkansas.

Before the season, i made hotel reservations in San Francisco/Napa Valley just in case the Tigers made it to the Title game (at Levi’s Stadium where the 49ers play)... i will now be cancelling those reservations.

But i agree that if you’d asked most LSU fans preseason if we’d be okay with a 2 or 3 loss season, take it or leave it— pretty much 100% of us would’ve taken it.. it’s hard to keep that perspective after last night though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom