[2018] Hurricane Michael (1 Viewer)

You might be right, but on the claim, there's a designation the insured has to make about whether they were engaged in business at the time of the loss.

People always ask me about whether this or that would be okay, and it usually involves some kind of misrepresentation about tax or insurance. I tell them "Don't ask me to tell you it's okay to commit tax (or insurance) fraud. If you think the chance of them catching is it really slim, and I agree with you that it probably is slim, that's still your call to make on a risk management basis - don't ask my opinion on whether you should do it."

Absolutely. I guess with something like storm chasing, there just isn't a big enough market of them for it to actually be asked on an application. And most of them are hobbyists too, so they technically wouldn't be lying about not being engaged in business. If you're making any money doing it, then you'd be a fool not to get the commercial policy just so you don't go bankrupt when you get in a wreck while storm chasing and run some evacuating family off the road - and probably neither person's fault if the storm has ponded on roads and such already - though someone will be designated with fault, of course. I'd be more concerned with the liability aspect of it than a claim on the vehicle if it's a profession not a hobby.

As an insurance agent, I use my vehicle for "business purposes" all the time but don't need a commercial policy because the vehicle isn't actually part of the job. I guess that's why they ask only about "for hire" purposes on personal apps instead of using the vehicle for work because who doesn't run an errand or two when on the clock? I guess chasing a hurricane could just be a really big errand lol.

Absolutely. I guess with something like storm chasing, there just isn't a big enough market of them for it to actually be asked on an application. And most of them are hobbyists too, so they technically wouldn't be lying about not being engaged in business. If you're making any money doing it, then you'd be a fool not to get the commercial policy just so you don't go bankrupt when you get in a wreck while storm chasing and run some evacuating family off the road - and probably neither person's fault if the storm has ponded on roads and such already - though someone will be designated with fault, of course. I'd be more concerned with the liability aspect of it than a claim on the vehicle if it's a profession not a hobby.

As an insurance agent, I use my vehicle for "business purposes" all the time but don't need a commercial policy because the vehicle isn't actually part of the job. I guess that's why they ask only about "for hire" purposes on personal apps instead of using the vehicle for work because who doesn't run an errand or two when on the clock? I guess chasing a hurricane could just be a really big errand lol.

The Agency you work for better have "Hired and Non Owned" coverage....( and they probably do on their GL policy )

If a stormchaser is using his PERSONAL AUTO to chase storms, and is live feeding/tweeting/on the news over the past several years, and his personal agent says " i didnt know what he did for a living" the courts in La would be like " yeah ok well someone paying ( usually E & O if carrier stands firm on declination of coverage) "
We spend a good bit of time fleshing out what our clients actually do before we even go to market on a risk. We have to in order to protect ourselves and our clients from having a claim denied. Plenty times ive lost a client because i had them properly classified, but the rates were just so high only to have them obtain insurance from another and find out they were mis-classified. ( to a lower rated class ). If that agent wishes to roll the dice and HOPE no claim , far be it from me to stop em. lol

I lose possible clients all the time because I refuse to lie on an application for them. It's like they think it's my job to put my license on the line to save them money. No, my job is to find you the most coverage for the best rate that the market has to offer in the market you're supposed to be in. And we ask the "occupation and employer" question for all personal auto apps too.

The Agency you work for better have "Hired and Non Owned" coverage....( and they probably do on their GL policy )

We do. We're very well over insured for the small agency we are.

I do worry about the homeowners rates that had been going down generally before this season's storms. All the companies that write in the GNO area also write in all of these coastal spots that have been hit with these major storms this season.

I lose possible clients all the time because I refuse to lie on an application for them. It's like they think it's my job to put my license on the line to save them money. No, my job is to find you the most coverage for the best rate that the market has to offer in the market you're supposed to be in. And we ask the "occupation and employer" question for all personal auto apps too.

commercial insurance is 10x worse lol- These folks KNOW insurance because it affects their bottom line. So they know the ins and outs. What to say, what not to say etc. Cant tell you how many conversations ive had where i have asked a question, received an answer...only to ask the question AGAIN 5 min later, worded just a bit differently, and get a WHOLE OTHER answer. lol

no kidding.

Ive just been blessed to have done this now for 19 years and have a reputation with clientele and carriers that i dont play. Want cheaper insurance? call around. Want to be absolutely protected? thats me. But it will be pricier than others.

commercial insurance is 10x worse lol- These folks KNOW insurance because it affects their bottom line. So they know the ins and outs. What to say, what not to say etc. Cant tell you how many conversations ive had where i have asked a question, received an answer...only to ask the question AGAIN 5 min later, worded just a bit differently, and get a WHOLE OTHER answer. lol

no kidding.

Ive just been blessed to have done this now for 19 years and have a reputation with clientele and carriers that i dont play. Want cheaper insurance? call around. Want to be absolutely protected? thats me. But it will be pricier than others.

I've learned to be the same way. I had someone just today who got straight up declined by two auto carriers we write for - one for his credit and the other for not having prior insurance on the vehicle - and the guy wanted me to lie and say they had prior coverage. Even after I explained to him about a CLUE report and that U/W KNOWS there's been no insurance on this vehicle. It amazes me what people expect or try to pull when it all comes out in the wash regardless and they just end up getting canceled and in a worse predicament.

I write a little commercial through Hull and B&W and you're absolutely right about the underwriting process being 1000 x's more stringent than the personal market. And these people have learned over the years what questions will be asked for their commercial policy (whatever form it may be in). Ultimately, the insurance companies either know or will find out what the real story is really fast no matter what kind of insurance you're dealing with.

I've learned to be the same way. I had someone just today who got straight up declined by two auto carriers we write for - one for his credit and the other for not having prior insurance on the vehicle - and the guy wanted me to lie and say they had prior coverage. Even after I explained to him about a CLUE report and that U/W KNOWS there's been no insurance on this vehicle. It amazes me what people expect or try to pull when it all comes out in the wash regardless and they just end up getting canceled and in a worse predicament.

I write a little commercial through Hull and B&W and you're absolutely right about the underwriting process being 1000 x's more stringent than the personal market. And these people have learned over the years what questions will be asked for their commercial policy (whatever form it may be in). Ultimately, the insurance companies either know or will find out what the real story is really fast no matter what kind of insurance you're dealing with.

Facebook, Twitter, Internet ( Sec of State ) will tell you all you need to know.

20 years ago...all you had was a phone book. lol.

Anyone know how Destin has fared? I know it's on the dry side of the storm, but I'm wondering about the wind damage across the whole panhandle. If anyone does know what Destin looks like, please let me know. My dad has got a little place down there and haven't been able to get in touch with the president of the condo association.

Facebook, Twitter, Internet ( Sec of State ) will tell you all you need to know.

20 years ago...all you had was a phone book. lol.
You are so right. I've actually searched people who I thought sounded shady and found out they were lying about things with their home just by using street view on google maps. Why would you want to get some great rate quoted to you only to have it double after inspection? I just don't understand the mindset of some people.

You are so right. I've actually searched people who I thought sounded shady and found out they were lying about things with their home just by using street view on google maps. Why would you want to get some great rate quoted to you only to have it double after inspection? I just don't understand the mindset of some people.

Money. Always about money.

But then you find that client that is more worried about risk than initial money....and it makes what you do that much easier.

Do you need to take a break? You’re fired up.

Anyone know how Destin has fared? I know it's on the dry side of the storm, but I'm wondering about the wind damage across the whole panhandle. If anyone does know what Destin looks like, please let me know. My dad has got a little place down there and haven't been able to get in touch with the president of the condo association.

According to a resident on Storm 2k, they turned out ok. A few trees down and roads covered with debris

With the models doing fairly well in anticipation and track... That early post by Brandon has me paying attention. It's no longer on page 1 but I remember Oct 20 middle of gulf.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom