2018 LSU Basketball Thread (2 Viewers)

LSU head coach Will Wade will not return to the bench from his suspension until questions about reported FBI wiretaps school administrators have are answered, the university told The Advocate on Wednesday ahead of the SEC Basketball Tournament.

The suspended head coach's attorney told the university in a letter that Wade would talk about the allegations once the federal investigation into corruption in college basketball was over, the report said.

With Wade expected to be subpoenaed by the defense in the federal trial beginning April 22, it appears interim coach Tony Benford will be at the helm at least through the end of the season. The NCAA Men's Basketball Championship game is on April 8.

On the Javonte Smart front, the freshman guard could return as early as Friday, depending on how the internal investigation by the university goes. The story went on to say that all members of Smart's circle that have been interviewed have been cooperative.

Warning, the link auto-plays a video.

Pretty sure that we've seen the last of a Will Wade coached Tiger team. :(

Pretty sure that we've seen the last of a Will Wade coached Tiger team. :(
Agreed. If he's found guilty of infractions, then the choice is obvious. If vindicated, no way can Wade come back to LSU and work for this administration. He's done.

I'm good with going all in on Rick Pitino. I've had a taste of championship basketball again. **** 'em.

Agreed. If he's found guilty of infractions, then the choice is obvious. If vindicated, no way can Wade come back to LSU and work for this administration. He's done.

I'm good with going all in on Rick Pitino. I've had a taste of championship basketball again. **** 'em.

Do you think we really have a shot at Pitino?

Do you think we really have a shot at Pitino?
Yes, but only because he's toxic for a year or two. Realistically, he probably won't be hired by anyone for a year or two (like Calipari after UMass and Memphis) and Alleva will just promote Bedford.

Will Wade did drop a statement this morning asking to be allowed to do his job, starting with the SEC tournament. Normally, I'd cringe at how he went about it, making a public announcement. That seems to be the only thing Alexander and Alleva respond to though.

"This morning, I advised President Alexander, Athletic Director Joe Alleva and the LSU Board of Supervisors that I would like to resume my duties as Head Basketball Coach. Last week, when the university decided to place me on administrative leave, I accepted the decision without complaint as I knew that they wanted time to reflect on the flurry of media reports. With the benefit of a week to consider the cirumstances, I believe University officials should allow me to resume my duties.

I guess we'll see. I don't know what to make of this. I felt that Wade wouldn't want to return to coach under these conditions and administration, but clearly I'm wrong. Everything that LSU has done this far has seemed like a calculated move to set up Wade's firing to avoid paying out his contract. They had to have known that Wade would ball at talking to them. LSU's attorney and NCAA investigators were involved, so surely he told them Wade would refuse after speaking with counsel. Alleva should be fired just because he involved the NCAA voluntarily.

I got no idea how this turns out. Flip a coin, roll a die, etc. They're just as accurate as anyone making a guess. I just want them to win out and stick a big middle finger in their collective faces. Jay Bias is already throw up air quotes around "SEC Champs" when talking about LSU. Pat Forde is at the SEC Tourney, so he'll start with his ***" tomorrow.

As long as Kansas, Arizona and Zion Williams are playing too, **** 'em all.

Will Wade is asking to be reinstated.
If this is true, then Wade must believe that his case is legitimately defend-able. :scratch:

If it's not, then he is just making his situation worse. :covri:

As long as Kansas, Arizona and Zion Williams are playing too, **** 'em all.

Not sure what you're getting at. Zion went to Duke for the quality educational opportunity. Basketball is just something he does to pass time between studying.

Wow, with Wade's wanting to coach again, this whole thing just took a big ol' turn to weirdness. I hope this isn't the time that Alleva decides to grow a spine and stick to his guns.

I was listening to Off The Bench on BR radio and Jordy said that Wade, Alleva and Alexander agreed to sit and talk last Friday morning. On Friday morning before the meeting, Wade gets a call and is informed that the meeting is getting pushed to later that day. Now, there was going to be a member of the LSU Board of Supervisors, an attorney for LSU. Wade came back to them and said that was fine, but he would want his attorney present and required a list of questions in advance. He was told "No" and then followed the advice of his counsel to refuse to meet and submit himself to questioning. He alleges that James Williams on the Board of Supervisors is directing the entire ordeal. Williams is a former big time trial lawyer turned Louisiana Supreme Court justice. He has represented Dorian Johnson who was with Michael Brown when he was killed in Ferguson and Mary Landrieu when her residency was challenged a few years back.

What a **** show.

Basically they want him to admit that he didn't do anything wrong or if he did, then explain why. Nevermind that nobody has actually accused him of doing anything wrong. They want to hang him out to dry. If Alleva had a spine, he'd tell the NCAA we have institutional control. I am controlling it and my coach is going to coach in the tourney.

FWIW, LSU plays Florida tomorrow.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom