2018 LSU Basketball Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks man. The game went pretty much as I expected, I thought it would be a game of runs (and subsequently droughts)....Credit to UMD for battling back as LSU is really the deeper more talented team...what is killing LSU is the long offensive droughts they have been experiencing lately and I think they are longer with Wade not on the sideline. There was a 5 minute stretch in the 2nd half where it seemed every shot LSU put up was a rushed 3 at then end of the shot clock. And UMD took advantage....They were lazy swinging the ball, lazy moving without the ball and standing around way too much....that doesn't happen with Wade there. Too bad this team had potential but I don't see them going much further if they have another drought like that one....and what is it about Mays, he seems to disappear for long stretches and then show up when they need him most...inconsistent but clutch hard nosed player....

Someone mentioned the UMD freshman (nickname is Sticks), he has the potential to be great. Smart player with good court vision for a big guy, as they said just needs to add some weight and he could be very special.....
Jalen Smith. There are some rumblings he may declare for the NBA draft, but I don't think he's ready. He is a well-rounded player and will make a good pro in another year or two. As you said he needs to add some weight, and become more seasoned.

Maryland will lose Bruno Fernando to the NBA but has a decent class coming in. Due to the youth of the team, the 2019 class is only 3 members, but still manages a #28 ranking nationally.

I'm going to give Turgeon one more year....

I watched that Michigan State game last night. I'm afraid they're going to eat our lunch. We might be able to hang in the first half, but with our usual drop off in the second, this one might be over early.

Jalen Smith. There are some rumblings he may declare for the NBA draft, but I don't think he's ready. He is a well-rounded player and will make a good pro in another year or two. As you said he needs to add some weight, and become more seasoned.

Maryland will lose Bruno Fernando to the NBA but has a decent class coming in. Due to the youth of the team, the 2019 class is only 3 members, but still manages a #28 ranking nationally.

I'm going to give Turgeon one more year....

Agreed, I feel pretty much the same way. You know Cowen is only a JR, and he will be coming back. Terrible shooting slump notwithstanding, the kid is a worker, I think he will be huge for the Terps next year. No doubt Fernando goes but from a personnel perspective UMD should be very good.

Turgeon has proved to be a pretty darn good recruiter and I don't blame him really for the Terps less than stellar 2nd half of the season. When your leading scorer goes into a really bad shooting slump things are likely going to go south...fast....

Bruno, is a very hard working, intense player with a future in the NBA, no doubt. But for the life of me I have never seen a big man miss as many easy shots as he does....

I watched that Michigan State game last night. I'm afraid they're going to eat our lunch. We might be able to hang in the first half, but with our usual drop off in the second, this one might be over early.

M state is a complete team and very long and athletic at the guard spots, that is going to pose a problem for Waters, he is going to have a tougher time getting shots than he did against UMD.

They are also very well coached, Izzo (love him or hate him) is a very, very good motivator and X and O's coach. If he were coaching LSU they would be a serious national championship contender....LSU is going to have to play a full 40 minutes with minimal drought time to have a chance to win this one...not impossible but they will need a big effort from the bench to have a chance IMO...

Last edited:
At the very least, Izzo is going to find out early if LSU has figured out how to score against a zone defense.

I like LSUs chances. MSU has depth issues in the front court right now because of ankle injuries. Tre hasn't really had issues with long players this year because he's not LSUs only scoring option now. Long guys typically can't keep up with him, anyway. They can try to take away his scoring, but as long as he has the ball in his hands, he will find someone to score if he can't. MSU should be favored, but this game is very winnable for LSU.

Last edited:
Agreed, I feel pretty much the same way. You know Cowen is only a JR, and he will be coming back. Terrible shooting slump notwithstanding, the kid is a worker, I think he will be huge for the Terps next year. No doubt Fernando goes but from a personnel perspective UMD should be very good.

Turgeon has proved to be a pretty darn good recruiter and I don't blame him really for the Terps less than stellar 2nd half of the season. When your leading scorer goes into a really bad shooting slump things are likely going to go south...fast....

Bruno, is a very hard working, intense player with a future in the NBA, no doubt. But for the life of me I have never seen a big man miss as many easy shots as he does....

M state is a complete team and very long and athletic at the guard spots, that is going to pose a problem for Waters

Turgeon is indeed a great recruiter but has had the unenviable task of filling HOF coach Gary Williams' shoes. Williams was not a great recruiter, and retired rather than play the AAU game. However, Williams was a great X's and O's coach who had the distinction of being the first coach to win a Div. I championship with a roster bereft of any all-Americans.

Cowan over-thinks and does not trust himself. If he misses a shot he ruminates instead of moving on. He and Smith will be the cornerstones of a good team.

I do look forward to next year :)

That was a great game..I was hoping UCF could pull it out..and they almost did..

It really was. UCF had every chance. They even got a free FG at the end there that should have been a story clock violation. You can clearly see the rotation of the ball doesn't change, which it would have done if it touched the rim. Of course Zion got away with a ridiculous charge, too. It would have been nice to see UCF win, but I'm glad they didn't. I want to LSU to get a shot at shutting down Zion and Barrett so I can watch Vitale cry.

I want to LSU to get a shot at shutting down Zion and Barrett so I can watch Vitale cry.

He'd probably be the one calling that game and would heckle the LSU players during the broadcast.

Dick Vitale is on BR ESPN Radio right now. I can't listen but I hear it's getting hot.

Jordy called him a hypocrite and that really fired Vitale up. Dick doesn't know how to act when people aren't kissing his ***.

Dick Vitale is on BR ESPN Radio right now. I can't listen but I hear it's getting hot.

Jordy called him a hypocrite and that really fired Vitale up. Dick doesn't know how to act when people aren't kissing his ***.

Oh, I can't wait to hear Dick's argument for how he's not a hypocrite.

Oh, I can't wait to hear Dick's argument for how he's not a hypocrite.
Anything (Kansas, Arizona, etc) Jordy and T-Bob threw at him he just blew it off and called it rumors. I guess they suspend coaches now for rumors?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom