2018 LSU Basketball Thread (1 Viewer)

As much as I'd like to listen to that, Vitale's accent drives me nuts.

I don't believe we know the entire context of what Wade was referring to in the limited wiretap that was released. But the question I would most want answered from him, is why was he talking to that guy, and putting himself in a position to be recorded on an FBI wiretap?

Anything (Kansas, Arizona, etc) Jordy and T-Bob threw at him he just blew it off and called it rumors. I guess they suspend coaches now for rumors?

I listened to the whole interview. It became very obvious that he was going with the deflect and talk over strategy to avoid talking about those situations. He puts Wade in a different category because "he was caught on a wiretap." Never gave good answers regarding why he isn't coming down as hard on the other schools implicated, other than leaning on plausible deniability/willful ignorance.

I listened to the whole interview. It became very obvious that he was going with the deflect and talk over strategy to avoid talking about those situations. He puts Wade in a different category because "he was caught on a wiretap." Never gave good answers regarding why he isn't coming down as hard on the other schools implicated, other than leaning on plausible deniability/willful ignorance.
The sidestepping he did regarding Bill Self’s texts is crazy.

He couldn’t explain a damn thing, he could only talk louder than the hosts. It’s a shame that he came on the program with in intention of changing his mind.

Last edited:
Turgeon is indeed a great recruiter but has had the unenviable task of filling HOF coach Gary Williams' shoes. Williams was not a great recruiter, and retired rather than play the AAU game. However, Williams was a great X's and O's coach who had the distinction of being the first coach to win a Div. I championship with a roster bereft of any all-Americans.

Cowan over-thinks and does not trust himself. If he misses a shot he ruminates instead of moving on. He and Smith will be the cornerstones of a good team.

I do look forward to next year :)

Yeah, I know all about GW, he is actually a friend of a friend, he is a good guy has a lot more scruples and better values than most college coaches for sure. And he could flat out coach, his NC team with Juan Dixon was one of my favorite college teams of all time. They really should have won 2, that loss to Duke in the final 4 the year before was the most blatant example of referee bias I've ever seen. Do you remember the 5th foul on Baxter? Apparently if a Duke player climbs your back for a rebound the foul is on you!!!!!

Agree, Cowen is battling a serious confidence issue right now, I hope he gets i back they need him, I like him, he is a tough player and goes all out....

At the very least, Izzo is going to find out early if LSU has figured out how to score against a zone defense.

I like LSUs chances. MSU has depth issues in the front court right now because of ankle injuries. Tre hasn't really had issues with long players this year because he's not LSUs only scoring option now. Long guys typically can't keep up with him, anyway. They can try to take away his scoring, but as long as he has the ball in his hands, he will find someone to score if he can't. MSU should be favored, but this game is very winnable for LSU.

Agree on the zone defense, disagree on Waters, I saw teams with longer guards shut him down and force him to commit multiple turnovers this year. I'm not saying that it will definately happen here but something I am wary about. There are times he plays at a level where that reminds me of Chris Jackson, I hope he finds that level against Mich state....I think though that for LSU to have a chance they will have to be able to hit the 3 better....

He never addresses Sean Miller who was also caught on a wiretap.

I did enjoy how Jordy kept referring to him as "dick" in a manner that listeners understood that it was not a reference to his name. Lol

Welp. Looks like more scandal is coming...

Good, let them all join LSU. I have a feeling DickyV will be eating some words this time tomorrow.

Well this took an interesting turn. So much politics, money and corruption surrounding this whole thing.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's coincidence that this info will be revealed during college basketballs biggest TV exposure time of the year.

After reading these articles, I'm expecting a big nothing to come his press conference.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: MLU

After reading these articles, I'm expecting a big nothing to come his press conference.
I hope not.

I hope it drives straight to the heart of the "storied" programs that have somehow put themselves on a pedestal above all other programs.

Yeah, I know all about GW, he is actually a friend of a friend, he is a good guy has a lot more scruples and better values than most college coaches for sure. And he could flat out coach, his NC team with Juan Dixon was one of my favorite college teams of all time. They really should have won 2, that loss to Duke in the final 4 the year before was the most blatant example of referee bias I've ever seen. Do you remember the 5th foul on Baxter? Apparently if a Duke player climbs your back for a rebound the foul is on you!!!!!

Agree, Cowen is battling a serious confidence issue right now, I hope he gets i back they need him, I like him, he is a tough player and goes all out....

Agree on the zone defense, disagree on Waters, I saw teams with longer guards shut him down and force him to commit multiple turnovers this year. I'm not saying that it will definately happen here but something I am wary about. There are times he plays at a level where that reminds me of Chris Jackson, I hope he finds that level against Mich state....I think though that for LSU to have a chance they will have to be able to hit the 3 better....
It was said for years that when you played Duke, you played the refs as well. This applied to every other team in the ACC not from Chapel Hill.

Gary is still a legend in this area. As you say, a great guy with scruples. He could be a bit irascible at times and had no patience with then-AD Debbie Yow. We loved him. When the ACC got on him about vulgar chants he simply said “I’ll address it when you address UVA chanting ‘Crackhead parents’ at Juan Dixon” and when he was asked to address the “You blow” chant at Maryland, he simply walked to mid-court with the microphone, faced the student section and pep band, and said “Don’t let them intimidate you”. :)

That interview was crazy. Vitale had no intention on letting them get any word in because he didn't a leg to stand on.

Well, that took a different turn. Regardless, he's airing dirty laundry on Twitter now.

Yahoo has an article discussing payment to De Andre Ayton's mom. It drops this little nugget, mid-article that kinda stood out as I was reading...

The exchange lays out what Avenatti alleged in his first tweet that riveted the college basketball world on Monday. (Avenatti is a familiar presence on cable television after representing Stormy Daniels, the adult actress who claimed to be romantically linked to Donald Trump.)
I don't recall reading about any romance?

Anyway, back to actual basketball. I have had the opportunity to read up a bit on Michigan State and BR radio has had numerous journalists on that cover the team. Michigan State is more mature and has a coaching advantage, but LSU has the talent advantage. I really like LSU's chance here.

The matchup of the game will be Waters and Cassius Winston. Nick Ward is the physical guy in the paint, but has been limited through the tournament with a hand injury. He is playing, but he's not 100% effective and that's not going to change vs LSU's deeper frontcourt. Winston is the key, however. if LSU has make life difficult for him, the rest of the team will suffer. He also plays high minutes due to the lack of depth because of injuries. As a result of the frontcourt depth and talent, they have given up a lot of offensive rebounds and turned the ball over many times this season. Both of these play into what LSU can do well and they do not possess the kind of long players that have given Waters trouble before. Winston is the better PG, but the drop in talent after Winston is immense in comparison to what LSU puts on the floor.

A lot has been made of zone vs man defense against LSU. Maryland wasn't the first time that LSU faced a zone defense, but the coaches didn't adjust to it very well for whatever reason. I have read over and over that MSU has only played zone defense 5 times this season, so people expect them to continue to play LSU man up. I would lose a lot of respect for Izzo if that happened. I don't expect MSU to suddenly change their stripes, but I think if LSU gets a run going MSU will try to stop it switching into a zone defense. This goes double if LSU has 3 big guys on the floor, although Naz is more than willing to step outside and hit shots. If he does, he will need to hit them because LSU will be minus a body under the net for rebounds. We haven't had an OT game in a few weeks, so this will probably come down to the final possessions in typical LSU fashion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom