2018 LSU Recruiting Thread (1 Viewer)

PS2 to Bama.

Let the meltdown begin...

That one hurts. 3 years invested, no other CBs offered, LSU goes all in. It's more than just losing out on a talented kid. It's a setback to the program. Thisn would be like LSU losing out on Fournette. If LSU can't count on signing a kid with family ties at the one position they're known to produce the best talent, then we might be looking at the beginning of the end.
What a difference between DBs...

Kelvin Joseph: “I feel like #LSU isn’t where they are supposed to be. I want to do my part to help with that.”

lets take a look at La kids that got away;

School # players
TCU 5
Miss St 4 (3- 4 stars)
Kansas 3 (2- 4 stars)
Bama 2
TX 1
A&M 1
South Caro 1

SEC teams didn't raid us like it might seem. It's really not that bad with the exception of Miss State. No excuses for us to lose good talent to them. I think last year, we lost more guys to SEC teams overall though and Bama took more talent last year from us.

School # players

TCU 5

Miss St 4 (3- 4 stars)

Kansas 3 (2- 4 stars)

Bama 2

TX 1

A&M 1

South Caro 1

SEC teams didn't raid us like it might seem. It's really not that bad with the exception of Miss State. No excuses for us to lose good talent to them. I think last year, we lost more guys to SEC teams overall though and Bama took more talent last year from us.

That is because Louisiana’s talent pool was not as deep this year. Coach O’s real test will be next year when Louisiana is loaded with talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epic fail by the staff. I really don't wanna hear the positive spin. This staff put their eggs in Surtain's basket and Saban fried them. No excuse. Poor planning by Orgeron and his staff. No plan B.

Disaster for LSU today.

The ending reminds me a bit of the finish in 2014 with LSU looking to go 5 for 5 with a group of talented kids. Fournette and Dupree sign with LSU. Speedy Noil, Gerald Willis and Tony Brown surprise everyone and commit to TAMU, UF and Bama, respectively. Noil doesn't even drafted after off-the-field issues. Willis doesn't even stay around UF to play a single game after off-the-field issues. Tony Brown never lives up to the hype. Ultimately the guys that committed had a passion for LSU and the state and it served LSU and those players well.

Orgeron found out at 11PM last night that Surtain was going to pick Bama. He spent the rest of the night on the phone trying to convince Goodrich to flip after he just committed to Clemson the day before. They intended on signing just one CB, Surtain. Goodrich was the backup. They were so confident in Surtain that they prioritized Foster at QB over Goodrich. One slot was designated for a QB, regardless. That was either for Foster of a yet-to-be-named transfer. Now with no CBs in this class, Kelvin Joseph will make a switch to CB to fill that slot.

LSU adds four ridiculously talented receivers and two of the top 5 in the country. Marshall and Chase are elite talents. Jones is a physical monster. Depth has been corrected on the offensive and defensive lines. They continue to add pass rushers to the defense. They failed to address CB and QB. RB is thinner than anyone should like at LSU. Nine kids are on campus right now, going to class and lifting with the team. The ranking stands at #15 and is the lowest ranked class at LSU since 2002, understanding that that's only counting the 22 HS kids and not K, Cole Tracey.

They plan on using the last two scholarships to sign transfers at CB and/or QB. If they don't use them for transfers, they can use them on two early enrollees in 2019 and then back-count the recruiting class for a max 27 players in a stupid talented recruiting class in Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi.

Funny how things work out in recruiting. Just a couple weeks ago, Surtain was a lock to LSU and Chase was shaky at best. Now, Surtain spurns family for guaranteed championships and Chase is crying after signing with the home school. That's recruiting.

School # players
TCU 5
Miss St 4 (3- 4 stars)
Kansas 3 (2- 4 stars)
Bama 2
TX 1
A&M 1
South Caro 1

Here are players from the Top 26 in Louisiana that LSU failed to sign:

TCU
QB, Justin Rogers - Picked TCU over LSU. This hurts.
WR, John Stephens - Never considered by LSU
S, Ardarius Washington - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players
CB, Derius Davis - Never considered by LSU
S, Hidari Caesar - Never considered by LSU

Miss State
WR, Devonta Jason - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players
S, Aaron Brule - Never considered by LSU
TE, Geor'quarius Spivey - Never considered by LSU

Kansas
CB, Corione Harris - Never considered by LSU
RB, Anthony Williams - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players

Notre Dame
WR, Lawrence Keys III - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players

TAMU
Glenn Beal - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players

Bama
CB, Eddie Smith - Never considered by LSU
WR, Slade Bolden - Never considered by LSU

Texas
Michael Williams - LSU recruited, but chose higher ranked players

Tulane
S, Dorian Camel - Never considered by LSU

Arkansas
S, Joseph Foucha - Never considered by LSU

I chose 26 players because Ardarius Washington was #26 and the lowest rated on the list. I got the vibe that the staff really wanted Cotton and Baskerville and offered Washington to make it happen. Once he waivered, they backed off. Of all the in-state talent this year, LSU missed on 1 player that it wanted and needed. The fence is back up, folks.

Next year you will see players more talented than these leave, but again that's because you can't sign everyone. The teams in surrounding states (TCU, SMU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, etc.) will offer every kid they can, knowing that LSU can't sign everyone. Eventually LSU has to pass on a really talented kid (WR, Devonta Lee) because they already have signed the max of just as talented or more talented kids at the same position. You don't want to end up like Texas, who has the #3 class, but 10 of the 25 players are either DBs or WRs. That's not going to get you to the playoffs.

It's been widely rumored that Goodrich wanted to come to LSU, but they cooled on him to try to get the QB to sign. Now that Surtain left them at the alter, they look like fools.

I have an issue with Orgeron saying they meant to undersign this class. WTF???? Don't blow smoke, man!!! Call it like it is. Say the kid screwed you. Don't pass it off like this was the plan all along.

Epic fail. Epic fail. Epic fail.

It's been widely rumored that Goodrich wanted to come to LSU, but they cooled on him to try to get the QB to sign. Now that Surtain left them at the alter, they look like fools.

I have an issue with Orgeron saying they meant to undersign this class. WTF???? Don't blow smoke, man!!! Call it like it is. Say the kid screwed you. Don't pass it off like this was the plan all along.

Epic fail. Epic fail. Epic fail.

I guess "tell the truth Monday" only applies when you are interim coach. Yep, that was a huge load of crap and spin of the most transparent kind.

I do agree that next year is the year. If he can't pull in a top 10 class next year, he's done....

I have an issue with Orgeron saying they meant to undersign this class.
Link?

I saw articles and watched the press conference. I never heard this. I saw where they planned for this contingency if it happened. I read where he said he'd rather keep the spots open rather than fill them just to fill them. I'm sure they have a list of possible transfers already. I didn't see or hear what you're saying though.

You don't want to end up like Texas, who has the #3 class, but 10 of the 25 players are either DBs or WRs. That's not going to get you to the playoffs.

#RevolUTion2018 baby! :9:

Tom Herman quote today: "Recruiting is like shaving. If you don't do it every day, you wake up the next, and you look like crap."

LSU has two key long-lingering and related problematic trends with its football brand, that cover both Miles and Orgeron, and are easy fodder for opposing coaches.

1. The clear lack of a dynamic QB. And we all just saw what Tua did.
2. The fact that LSU guys on offense blow up in the pros, but not while they're at LSU.

LSU at Texas, September 7, 2019
Texas at LSU, September 12, 2020

Lol we finally get the game scheduled with UT on an upswing and LSU on a down turn.

What an absolute ****show... just an atrocious showing by the Alleva/Orgeron regime... and a sad day to be a fan of LSU football.

It’s going to be a long few years... i’m thinking our best hope now is to promote Aranda to HC as soon as possible... but first, Joe Alleva has GOT to go, or nothing else matters... just sickening on every level.

This morning I decided to do some digging around and found some potential grad transfers that LSU could be interested in. Now, there's no inside source here as to who they are leaning towards. These are just a few kids who have announced their intention to transfer and would be a good fit.

CB, Chris James, Illinois is originally from Orange, TX. He was lightly recruited and looks like Illinois and Iowa State were his two biggest offers. He redshirted and will be transferring after graduating as a redshirt Junior. James primarily played the nickle position for Lovie Smith.

CB, Juwan Dowels, Syracuse originally from Sunrise, FL and attended American Heritage HS. He was offered by Clemson and OU, but the decision came down to Syracuse and Rutgers. He missed 10 games in 2016 with a knee injury. In three years he had 69 tackles and eight PBs in 24 games.

CB, VJ Banks, Rice was born in Baton Rouge and was recruited from Bryan, TX. Rice and Baylor were the biggest schools to recruit him. He's started on and off, but I'm not sure if it's been due to injury or performance.

CB, Antonio Nelson, Coahoma CC originally signed with UF out of HS in Montgomery, AL and is showing up as a Miss State lean right now. He's the highest rated, unsigned JUCO CB left. He was a 3-star prospect originally with a long, frame and decent cover skills, who never academically qualified for UF. He was named a 1st team All American his freshman year in JUCO with 41 tackles, 8 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.

PS2 to Bama.

Let the meltdown begin...

That one hurts. 3 years invested, no other CBs offered, LSU goes all in. It's more than just losing out on a talented kid. It's a setback to the program. Thisn would be like LSU losing out on Fournette. If LSU can't count on signing a kid with family ties at the one position they're known to produce the best talent, then we might be looking at the beginning of the end.
The Surtain's mentioned coaching stability yesterday. I wonder how much this played a role?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The rumors regarding Corey Raymond leaving LSU after NSD, that started on an Alabama message board, are 111% false. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DirtyTricks?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#DirtyTricks</a></p>&mdash; Jimmy D Smith (@JimmyDetail) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimmyDetail/status/961068614852935681?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I will say this....it's a shame how much one or two guys flipping gets all of the attention. LSU inked two really good players yesterday from Louisiana. They are not getting enough attention.

BTW, I'm 100% guilty. I was furious that Surtain flipped to Alabama. It gave me a rotten mood all day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom