2018 Prospects to Watch (1 Viewer)

Taylor Rapp ran a slow 4.74 40. But you know what...I DONT CARE! Context: Rapp's been out nursing a hip injury that he sustained before the Rose Bowl. That injury kept him from playing the bowl game. Though he benched, jumped and did the position drills, he still wasnt 100% at the combine. To me, I'll lean heavily on the actual film and on field production vs a single 40 time that was probably affected by the lingering hip injury. Hopefully the bad time does drop him into our laps at 62.

First of all, I wanna give a big THANK YOU to everybody for all their time n effort in providing all this info!

:9::9::9:

Despite us not havin more higher picks, it seems there’s gonna b lotsa talent out there to be had, esp on day 2, (maybe into day 3 as well!). Meanwhile, it also seems our coaches n scouting staff have been VERY active at all these pro days and workouts!

And remember, you know Loomis & Co aren’t shy about packaging picks to move up!

Bottom line, compared to the “grand slam” we hit in the 2017 draft, the 2018 draft ( at least so far) has been more of a “seeing eye single”! We likely won’t hit another grand slam in the 2019 draft, but I think we’re gonna make damned sure we don’t have another seeing eye single either!

Looks like we were pretty active at UW's pro day. Never have i been more elated by a bad 40 time than I am w/Taylor Rapp's. This could possibly drop him right into our range at 62. Straight up, Rapp's a legit alpha. His ability to move and play multiple positions would be a perfect fit for what we do on D.

Whether it's w/one of our late RD picks, or as an UDFA, I'd love to see us land Northern Iowa EDGE/OLB Rickey Neal. That dude is explosive! He comes w/speed to power and has some really refined rush moves. His spin moves are NASTY! Neal didnt play vs the highest level of competition, but he feasted and was clearly the most dominating player on the field. His game reminds me a lot of Junior Galette's, but in a longer limbed more streamlined body type. Worst case scenario, I think Neal makes a 53 roster as a core STer.

Last edited:
1 of the most underrated players I can think of is LSU TE Foster Moreau. He may even be a UDFA. Big enough, fast enough, blocks, great hands, breaks tackles. Word going around is that he's a "throwback". That's BS. LSU's passing game is the throwback, not Moreau.

Any news on BYU LB Takitaki?

I like Takitaki a ton, too. Guess he's been making the rounds w/a bunch of teams (no reports of him visiting us, though). I remember hearing Pauline on The Draft Analyst pod report that the Chiefs are in love w/him. And just recently, i saw a tweet about Sione wrapping up visits w/the Fins and Titans. Takitaki and Jahlani Tavai are my favorite LBs not named Devin in this class Would love to see either one land in NO at some point in the draft.

I like Takitaki a ton, too. Guess he's been making the rounds w/a bunch of teams (no reports of him visiting us, though). I remember hearing Pauline on The Draft Analyst pod report that the Chiefs are in love w/him. And just recently, i saw a tweet about Sione wrapping up visits w/the Fins and Titans. Takitaki and Jahlani Tavai are my favorite LBs not named Devin in this class Would love to see either one land in NO at some point in the draft.
He is the Taysom Hill of defenders. He might be what Su’a Cravens was supposed to be.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
He is the Taysom Hill of defenders. He might be what Sa’u Cravens was supposed to be.

Hellye! I can totally see that. Takitaki does a little bit of everything on D. They have him listed as LB, which he is, but I personally think he's a full fledged MONEY. On top lining up at all the LB spots, he mans the big slot vs LBs and RBs, plays STRONG, plays EDGE, and is an off the ball blitzer. Takitaki is one of the new breed of NFL defenders.

If you want to go to the BYU well again a couple of fun ones to watch are

Squally Canada-RB He has a fun name. He won’t be a top tier RB, but he will be another Jamaal Williams.
Matt Bushman, TE (So. 6-5, 240)
BYU has always had a proud tradition of success at the tight end position. But for many years due to offensive scheme, the tight end was never featured or the Cougars just did not have enough talent. Now, that’s no longer the case. Bushman, who will be draft eligible despite only being a sophomore (LDS mission), is going to be one of the nation’s best tight ends in 2018. Bushman was a freshman All-American last year on an offense that was one of the worst in the country. Bushman can do it all at the tight end position. If he was to come out, he could end up as BYU’s highest-rated prospect.
Austin Hoyt, OT
Hoyt is considered by many around the BYU program to have the best NFL potential along the offensive line this fall. Hoyt has added 10 pounds since the end of last season and is expected to be a starter at right tackle. The problem for Hoyt so far is that there haven’t been many moments in his BYU career where he has dominated his competition. He has the size and measurables that NFL franchises covet, now he will need to dominate on film as a senior to have a chance at getting drafted.
Corbin Kaufusi, DE
The Kaufusi name is synonymous with football around BYU and the NFL. Corbin’s dad played for the Philadelphia Eagles and his brother, Bronson, was drafted in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens. Corbin dabbled with college basketball early on in his collegiate career before making the switch to the sport that the Kaufusis have made a name for themselves in. And at 6-foot-9, I’m sure NFL teams could find ways to make something work with that size.
Sione Takitaki, DE/LB-
Takitaki has been one of BYU’s best pass rushers during his time with the Cougars. Some off-the-field issues early in his career could be a possible red flag for NFL franchises. He played at defensive end in 2017 and is now switching to boundary linebacker for this season.

Well, I got one right.

Both Iowa TEs are great, but I think both will be gone before the Saints get their first pick if Hockenson declares. To me Nauta, along Alize Mack from Notre Dame, stand out as guys that profile well for what the Saints want in a pass catching TE with college production that wasn’t at all indicative of what they could be in a less vanilla offense.

Way to nail it there Hogs. Well done.

Another LBer I was watching Kaden Elliss. Was waiting on his Pro Day. Worth the wait. Some good LBer's late. Been watching some for years.

This guy has mad change of direction skills. Look at that 3-cone and 60 shuttle! Holy cow. That guy can turn on a dime.

EDIT.... To put it into perspective, here are some 3-cone scores. Elliss had a 6.49.

• Chandler Jones, 7.07 seconds
  • Khalil Mack, 7.08 seconds
  • Von Miller, 6.70 seconds
  • Ryan Kerrigan, 7.18 seconds
  • Cameron Jordan, 7.07 seconds
  • Aaron Donald, 7.11 seconds
  • Melvin Ingram, 6.83 seconds
  • Cameron Wake, 7.12 seconds
  • Ezekiel Ansah, 7.11 seconds
  • Calais Campbell, 7.45 seconds
  • Vic Beasley, 6.91 seconds
  • Demarcus Lawrence, 7.46 seconds
  • Joey Bosa, 6.89 seconds
  • Olivier Vernon, 7.39 seconds
  • Frank Clark, 7.08 seconds
  • Cliff Avril, 6.90 seconds
  • Fletcher Cox, 7.07 seconds
  • Gerald McCoy, 7.32 seconds
  • Nick Perry, 7.25 seconds
  • Justin Houston, 6.95 seconds
  • Derrick Morgan, 7.12 seconds

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom