2018 Prospects to Watch (1 Viewer)

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
Every year we have a thread to talk about college football prospects to keep an eye on. Everyone wants to know now about the players that will be drafted in the next draft, so feel free to share your prospects that you would like to bring to our attention.

I watched the LSU game this evening, and I saw Jaylon Ferguson stand out. He will be a solid draft pick when his time comes. He was really solid up front battling the LSU oline. He got a sack, some pressure, and some solid plays overall.

Funny that Mike D mentioned him in his article today as I was just thinking of where he would be drafted. If he can ball out he is a 1st rd pick no doubt.

LB Devin White, LSU - Love him, but don't see him making it to our 2nd round pick.
DT Rashard Lawrence, LSU - Would love to have him, but I don't know if he'll be around when we pick either.
TE Noah Fant, Iowa - He's awesome, but will probably be a first rounder.
TE Albert Okwuegbunam, Missouri - Possibly a realistic target at a position of need. Looks pretty good.

Just throwing some names out there of players I've watched recently. No telling how the big boards will shake out, so it's impossible to have any idea who could be available outside of the top prospects. I'll come back and post some more.

If you want to go to the BYU well again a couple of fun ones to watch are

Squally Canada-RB He has a fun name. He won’t be a top tier RB, but he will be another Jamaal Williams.
Matt Bushman, TE (So. 6-5, 240)
BYU has always had a proud tradition of success at the tight end position. But for many years due to offensive scheme, the tight end was never featured or the Cougars just did not have enough talent. Now, that’s no longer the case. Bushman, who will be draft eligible despite only being a sophomore (LDS mission), is going to be one of the nation’s best tight ends in 2018. Bushman was a freshman All-American last year on an offense that was one of the worst in the country. Bushman can do it all at the tight end position. If he was to come out, he could end up as BYU’s highest-rated prospect.
Austin Hoyt, OT
Hoyt is considered by many around the BYU program to have the best NFL potential along the offensive line this fall. Hoyt has added 10 pounds since the end of last season and is expected to be a starter at right tackle. The problem for Hoyt so far is that there haven’t been many moments in his BYU career where he has dominated his competition. He has the size and measurables that NFL franchises covet, now he will need to dominate on film as a senior to have a chance at getting drafted.
Corbin Kaufusi, DE
The Kaufusi name is synonymous with football around BYU and the NFL. Corbin’s dad played for the Philadelphia Eagles and his brother, Bronson, was drafted in the third round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens. Corbin dabbled with college basketball early on in his collegiate career before making the switch to the sport that the Kaufusis have made a name for themselves in. And at 6-foot-9, I’m sure NFL teams could find ways to make something work with that size.
Sione Takitaki, DE/LB-
Takitaki has been one of BYU’s best pass rushers during his time with the Cougars. Some off-the-field issues early in his career could be a possible red flag for NFL franchises. He played at defensive end in 2017 and is now switching to boundary linebacker for this season.

Oshane Ximines, DE, Old Dominion University
Height: 6′ 4″
Weight: 256 lbs

Kids been close to unstoppable this year, and showed out fantastically in yesterday's upset over Virginia Tech.

Didn’t ODU have a qb or wr that was highly sought after in one of the previous drafts?

That was a heck of a win. I wish it was as impressive as the Appalachian St vs Michigan game, if only so people would stop messing with my poor Wolverines.

I watched the LSU game this evening, and I saw Jaylon Ferguson stand out. He will be a solid draft pick when his time comes. He was really solid up front battling the LSU oline. He got a sack, some pressure, and some solid plays overall.

Funny that Mike D mentioned him in his article today as I was just thinking of where he would be drafted. If he can ball out he is a 1st rd pick no doubt.

Was at the game last night and was really impressed by him. Great motor, pushed the LSU tackle back all night. Looked like the real deal.

I think we need to get either a serious talent opposite Marcus Williams at safety or a linebacker who can double as a safety. Haven’t had the time to really get into players outside of the games I watched already though.

LSUs Delpit is a good one though. As is Devin White. But they are first rounders. Out of our range.

Devin White would be an ideal linebacker if we were to add him to the team. He was also a running back in high school and think that was one of the reasons he came to LSU, was we were gonna give him a shot there. I think he would be a beast back there, but much rather him on D. He will likely be the first linebacker off the board and may go top 5 tho.

Rashard Lawrence is another Tiger I would love to see in the black & gold. He’s easily big enough to play nose tackle. We need to get us a new nose tackle. He will likely not make it to our pick and I want an even bigger nose tackle in the 320-330 range

My favorite defensive Tiger is Grant Delpit. He’s a mix of Tyrann Mathieu and Jamal Adams. He had he instincts of the Honey Badger, but plays the position of Adams. He’s only a sophomore tho, so he won’t be draft eligible.

If we don’t resign Mark Ingram which I kind of hope we don’t, I want to take a running back with our second round pick. Some guys that could be available:

Rodney Anderson OU
Damien Harris Alabama
LJ Scott Michigan St
Bennie Snell Jr Kentucky

Anyone of those 4 backs would complement Alvin Kamara nicely.

Other than possibly taking a running back, tight end & nose tackle would be the other two positions I would hope to draft with our first pick.

Watching them right now vs Stanford
DE/OLB Bradlee Anae

Height: 6’3″
Weight: 260 lb
Bradlee Anae is looking to join players such as Star Lotulelei, Hunter Dimick, and Derrick Shelby as pass rushers in the NFL from Utah. Anae has the perfect size for a defensive end in the NFL, and he flashes the ability to make plays.
One thing that Anae has in spades is hip flexibility. He consistently flips his hips around offensive tackles towards quarterbacks, allowing him to get into perfect position for a sack. Anae also flashes a spin move as a counter to his speed rush. Very few college defensive ends have a pass rush repertoire, so having multiple moves should make him a hot commodity in the middle rounds of the NFL draft.
CB Julian Blackmon
Height: 6’1″
Weight: 190 lb
Julian Blackmon is exactly what NFL teams are looking for in modern-day corners. At 6’1″ Blackmon has good length, but more importantly, he plays the ball in the air really well. Blackmon played wide receiver in high school, and it shows. He plays the ball in the air like a receiver and runs like a receiver with the ball in his hands. Blackmon plays corner very aggressively and isn’t scared to take a chance to make a play.
Blackmon also shows the ability to tackle better than expected. He racked up 38 solo tackles last year and 48 total tackles. Far too often in the NFL, cornerbacks are incapable of tackling, so they give up far too many touchdowns. Blackmon is a big play waiting to happen, but he isn’t a liability if he isn’t making a big play.

With us having 6 day three picks, I've decided to watch some of the "lesser" players. There are also several that may get med red shirts and others that are underclassmen. I can see an argument for several players being BPA and a position of need.

WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft: Safety Rankings
Jake Browning, QB, Washington Height: 6-2. Weight: 205. UDFA
Trace McSorley, QB, Penn State Height: 6-0. Weight: 195. UDFA

L.J. Scott, RB, Michigan State Height: 6-0. Weight: 225
Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington Height: 5-9. Weight: 193
Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma Height: 6-1. Weight: 219-Prefer him UDFA, may get Med redshirt
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia Height: 6-2. Weight: 200.
David Sills, WR, West Virginia Height: 6-4. Weight: 203
Nick Westbrook, WR, Indiana Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo Height: 5-11. Weight: 181 UDFA
KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State Height: 6-2. Weight: 202 UDFA
Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo Height: 6-2. Weight: 205 UDFA

Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA Height: 6-4. Weight: 235
Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., TE, Stony Brook Height: 6-6. Weight: 265. UDFA

Porter Gustin, DE/OLB, USC Height: 6-4. Weight: 267.
Daelin Hayes, DE/OLB, Notre Dame Height: 6-3. Weight: 260.
Terrell Lewis, DE/OLB, Alabama Height: 6-5. Weight: 257 UDFA, MAY GET MED REDSHIRT

Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson Height: 6-4. Weight: 268.

Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame Height: 6-6. Weight: 304
Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State Height: 6-3. Weight: 272
Demarcus Christmas, DT, Florida State Height: 6-3. Weight: 311
Raequan Williams, DT, Michigan State Height: 6-4. Weight: 300
Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami Height: 6-1. Weight: 335.

D'Andre Walker, OLB, Georgia Height: 6-2. Weight: 251
Shaquille Quarterman, OLB/ILB, Miami Height: 6-1. Weight: 240
Kendall Joseph, OLB/ILB, Clemson Height: 6-0. Weight: 230.
Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan Height: 5-11. Weight: 232
Te'Von Coney, ILB/OLB, Notre Dame Height: 6-0. Weight: 231

With us having 6 day three picks, I've decided to watch some of the "lesser" players. There are also several that may get med red shirts and others that are underclassmen. I can see an argument for several players being BPA and a position of need.

WalterFootball.com: 2019 NFL Draft: Safety Rankings
Jake Browning, QB, Washington Height: 6-2. Weight: 205. UDFA
Trace McSorley, QB, Penn State Height: 6-0. Weight: 195. UDFA

L.J. Scott, RB, Michigan State Height: 6-0. Weight: 225
Myles Gaskin, RB, Washington Height: 5-9. Weight: 193
Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma Height: 6-1. Weight: 219-Prefer him UDFA, may get Med redshirt
Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia Height: 6-2. Weight: 200.
David Sills, WR, West Virginia Height: 6-4. Weight: 203
Nick Westbrook, WR, Indiana Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.

Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo Height: 5-11. Weight: 181 UDFA
KeeSean Johnson, WR, Fresno State Height: 6-2. Weight: 202 UDFA
Cody Thompson, WR, Toledo Height: 6-2. Weight: 205 UDFA

Caleb Wilson, TE, UCLA Height: 6-4. Weight: 235
Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.
Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford Height: 6-5. Weight: 250.
Tyrone Wheatley Jr., TE, Stony Brook Height: 6-6. Weight: 265. UDFA

Porter Gustin, DE/OLB, USC Height: 6-4. Weight: 267.
Daelin Hayes, DE/OLB, Notre Dame Height: 6-3. Weight: 260.
Terrell Lewis, DE/OLB, Alabama Height: 6-5. Weight: 257 UDFA, MAY GET MED REDSHIRT

Austin Bryant, DE, Clemson Height: 6-4. Weight: 268.

Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame Height: 6-6. Weight: 304
Dre'Mont Jones, DT, Ohio State Height: 6-3. Weight: 272
Demarcus Christmas, DT, Florida State Height: 6-3. Weight: 311
Raequan Williams, DT, Michigan State Height: 6-4. Weight: 300
Gerald Willis III, DT, Miami Height: 6-1. Weight: 335.

D'Andre Walker, OLB, Georgia Height: 6-2. Weight: 251
Shaquille Quarterman, OLB/ILB, Miami Height: 6-1. Weight: 240
Kendall Joseph, OLB/ILB, Clemson Height: 6-0. Weight: 230.
Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan Height: 5-11. Weight: 232
Te'Von Coney, ILB/OLB, Notre Dame Height: 6-0. Weight: 231
Tyrone Wheatley Jr. would be a fun get. He has the pedigree.

My super early mock:

2. LJ Scott RB Michigan St
4. Gerald Willis III DT Miami
5. Kendal Blanton TE Missouri
6. Jamal Peters CB Miss St
6. Khalil Hodge LB Buffalo
7. Kareem Orr CB Chattanooga

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom