2019 MLB Playoffs [Merged: World Series] (1 Viewer)

I don’t know much about football X&Os and even less about baseball strategy but I wish I did. It’s pretty amazing the depth of strategy involved over a series of games. Every October I wonder why I don’t watch more baseball.
Yeah essentially he saved our bullpen by going deep into the game. Knowing we were going to have to cobble together a bunch of relief pitchers for game 6.

This is actually a snapshot of a video paused as I can't find anyone that took this picture.

But I think this is the picture that should be used to capture the moment.

It's got anything, Altuve rounding the bases, Springer arms up in exultation, everyone coming to home plate for the anticipated epic celebration, and most importantly Chapman stunned in disbelief still in a straddle position, not having left the mound.IMG-20191020-WA0002.jpg

This is actually a snapshot of a video paused as I can't find anyone that took this picture.

It's got anything, Altuve rounding the bases, Springer arms up in exultation, everyone coming to home plate for the anticipated epic celebration, and most importantly Chapman stunned in disbelief still in a straddle position, not having left the mound.IMG-20191020-WA0002.jpg

? Chapman!!!

Great time to be a Stros fan! I remember when NO ONE was in those seats!

Harsch, if you're a Nationals fan, it certainly would be en vogue right now to dislike or criticize Harper for chasing a larger, more lucrative contract with Phillies instead of staying in DC and continue to try and at least finish what his former teammates have done in 2019 and make a WS. But irregardless of this year's WS outcome, Bryce Harper's legacy as a National will still be fondly remembered and his highlights will still outweigh his negatives 10-15 years from now. Casual sports fans need to keep in mind that these Nationals didn't all of a sudden become a great team--they've won the NL East 4 times since 2012, and last made the playoffs 2 years ago in 2017 with a dynamic, almost MVP-caliber player in Bryce leading the way. In almost every postseason appearance from 2012-2017, Nationals were ultra-competitve and matched up well against their opponents each time, sure they lost but it wasn't like they were swept in 3 games. Like another SR poster alluded too earlier in this thread (IIRC, Superchuck), maybe it took a player of Harper's caliber leaving to make his former teammates more inspired, more committed, and focused to not just settle for being division champs, or winning 95 games every other season then getting upset in the NLDS. These Nationals have more conviction, and a larger collective determination among the team then what existed 2-3 years ago, you can tell it sometimes from looking at how some of their players seem to jel at the right moment, refusing to allow their in-game mistakes effect the outcome of games, being opportunistic in taking advantage of other teams mistakes like vs. Milwaukee in the NL WC playoff game-the Nats were losing 3-1 to Brewers in the bottom of 7th and one, KEY ERROR by a back up Brewers outfielder, Tyler Grisham, served as the catalyst for DC to score 3 runs for their epic 4-3 comeback clincher.

They maximized the ultimate amount of potential that huge error allowed them and more then likely that sort of huge in-game critical break wouldn't have happened in 2012, 2014, 2016 or 2017 postseasons. It was the same determined, fighting spirit that allowed them to hit two consecutive homers down 3-1 to Dodgers in Game 5 that tied it, sent the game to extra innings where they found a way for Howie Kendrick to hit a grand slam in top of 10th to win the game, 7-3, and helped Expos/Nationals franchise win only their only-second then-at least, now third, postseason series.

With the $35million per year the Nationals would have spent on Harper, they were able to sign or trade for:

Biran Dozier 2B $9m 0.7 rWAR
Matt Adams 1B $4m 0 rWAR (but hey, its not always easy to find replacement level players :)
Yan Gomes C $6m 1.3 rWAR
Kurt Suzuki C $5m 0.4 rWAR
Anibal Sanchez P $9.5m 3.3 rWAR

Total Salary: 9 + 4 + 6 + 5 + 9.5 = $34m
Total WAR 0.7 + 1.3 + 1.3 + 0.4 + 3.3 = 6.7 rWAR

Harpers posted a rWAR of 4.2. From a moneyball standpoint, not signing Harper was a brilliant move on the Nationals part.

And all the above guys are are on 1- or 2-year deals. If you consider total salary you could probalby add Corbin at 6/$140m who posted a 5.5 rWAR, and it looks even better.

So my point was, dumping Harper indirectly led to the Nationals making the playoffs this year, and perhaps even beating the Dodgers and Cards. He would have had to posted a near MVP-type season in order for the Nationals to get the same value. And if the Nats did sign him, they probably don't sign Corbin and maybe not Sanchez so it would be a wash.

With the $35million per year the Nationals would have spent on Harper, they were able to sign or trade for:

Biran Dozier 2B $9m 0.7 rWAR
Matt Adams 1B $4m 0 rWAR (but hey, its not always easy to find replacement level players :)
Yan Gomes C $6m 1.3 rWAR
Kurt Suzuki C $5m 0.4 rWAR
Anibal Sanchez P $9.5m 3.3 rWAR

Total Salary: 9 + 4 + 6 + 5 + 9.5 = $34m
Total WAR 0.7 + 1.3 + 1.3 + 0.4 + 3.3 = 6.7 rWAR

Harpers posted a rWAR of 4.2. From a moneyball standpoint, not signing Harper was a brilliant move on the Nationals part.

And all the above guys are are on 1- or 2-year deals. If you consider total salary you could probalby add Corbin at 6/$140m who posted a 5.5 rWAR, and it looks even better.

Having the discipline to let one of the league’s premiere names walk as overpaid is remarkable. Most teams can’t resist.

Cole gives up tie. 2-3 Nats. Does not look like Cole. 2-5 Nats. I'm now convinced that every player in the majors can drill a 99 mile an hour fastball.

Last edited:
Not sure if this needs a new thread but okay.

Soto was in a mini-slump in the post season but man he has woken up at just the right time. He’s on fire.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom