2019 NBA Free Agency: New Orleans Pelicans trade for Derrick Favors from Utah Jazz (1 Viewer)

David Fisher

usa_today_10518819.0.jpg

Zion Williamson knows who is going to start at center beside him now.

The New Orleans Pelicans found a starting center beside Zion Williamson on the trade market, and Derrick Favors is on his way to the Crescent City from the Utah Jazz. As I dreamed just five days ago David Griffin has targeted the soon-to-be 28 year old big man to fill the obvious hole at center.

Every box David Griffin was looking for in an acquisition, I think Favors will check except for outside shooting. Favors is a monster on the glass, a superb rim protector, an excellent finisher on offense, and a nine year veteran with one of the most consistent franchises in the league. Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball, Zion Williamson, and Derrick Favors will be an excellent defense. Alvin Gentry cannot build a team that is going to get out in transition unless they get the stops necessary to initiate ending possessions on defense.

The New Orleans Pelicans have traded for Derrick Favors, League Sources tell The Athletic

— Tony Jones (@Tjonesonthenba) July 1, 2019

The exact compensation going out has not yet been fully reported. I expect the outgoing salary to be minimal or even zero, centered on a second round pick or two. Utah was motivated to make this move after adding Bojan Bogdanovic in free agency, they had to trade (or waive) Favors to make the necessary cap space for Bogdanovic’s contract.

It is possible the Pelicans are nearly done in free agency with the additions of JJ Redick and Derrick Favors. Summer League tips off on Friday and Zion Williamson will take the floor in prime time.

Let’s Dance.

Continue reading...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom