FA 2019 Targets (1 Viewer)

Saintford

Very Banned
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Hello. I am new here. Pleasure to meet everyone. Below is a link with a list of 2019 free agents. I am curious as to who you would like Sean Payton & company to sign?

nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

Last edited:

latechsaint26

First Year Season Ticket Holder
Reaction score
I think Jesse James would be a really good fit at TE for us. A lot of us loved him in the draft and he’s a lot more polished now.

I think a Vet playmaker like Mathieu or Earl a Thomas would be a nice signing.

At WR, really we’d need to see if Dez is really coming back, and grab some better depth at Flanker if we don’t see Tre’quan being more consistent moving forward.

Winsett

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I really like the idea of pursuing Golden Tate. I don't think he will get a big contract at this point in his career. He looks a little less explosive this season. I think the draft pool matters just as much as the FA pool when it comes to negotiating contracts, and the draft class this year has a ton of WR #2 type talents, which is what you are expecting him to be. He is still a menace from the slot, tough as nails to bring down, and can run the whole route tree well though. He's the ideal piece for a West Coast offense and bringing him down is about like trying to tackle Kamara. In fact, I think his skillet (position flexibility, YAC, and run blocking) just makes Kamara that more of a mismatch piece.

I think he would be a very good #2 or #3 WR. The trouble is, bringing him in would create an embarrassment of riches to the WR position early on if Dez and/or Meredith come back healthy. Thomas, Smith, Tate, Ginn, Dez, and Meredith doesn't really leave room for a speedy draft pick (Ginn replacement) or any of our currently promising developmental guys like Kirkwood. Granted, I would expect that at least 1 WR would get hurt during training camp, or Meredith/Dez doesn't work out, so that problem probably solves itself.

My one worry is if he loses more explosiveness or speed, he pretty much just becomes a better version of Willie Snead, who saw very little utilization with the emergence of Kamara. His game is very much predicated on YAC, which means he loses value fast when he can't out-athlete people in the open field or generate quick separation, as he doesn't have a big catch radius or insane hops.

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wanna resign lutz to a 5yr or longer deal i want mark back and pj too. banjo is a keeper and so is craig r. Okafor is in the mix as well and we apparently really like his game.

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tate would be great..But I hope Payton aims for Jesse James.
I feel like we already have our Jesse James in Josh Hill. We need a better receiving weapon. Coby Fleener didn’t work out and Dan Arnold is still a work in progress. Jared Cook would be the perfect addition if he’s affordable.

GeneHansen

Veteran
Reaction score
I wanna resign lutz to a 5yr or longer deal i want mark back and pj too. banjo is a keeper and so is craig r. Okafor is in the mix as well and we apparently really like his game.
I think Okafor is under contract for 2019 unless he opts out of his contract. Someone feel free to correct me on that if I’m wrong.

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jared Cook and John Brown would make this the GOAT offense.

Edit:
Some ages going into next season:
Jared Cook: 32
John Brown: 28
Ted Ginn: 34

Last edited:

Joodas Avila

MillenniaMMA.com
Reaction score
Above all else, i think we need to re-sign our guys first; Mark, Teddy(hopefully), PJ etc. I’d also love to see us make a move for DE/EDGE Trey Flowers. You can never have enough pressure players. I think a guy like Randell Cobb could/would be reborn in our O, too. Plus i doubt he’d cost much & bring a ton of bang for the buck. I also like the untapped potential of TE Jeff Heuerman. He’s a former Buckeye & has suffered through injuries, C-level QB play & crap offensive play calling. I think he could be an every down TE in our O.

WxM

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, bringing back our own key guys is most important with our somewhat limited space, but with limited draft capital, it's also key to address our needs prior to the draft. This is probably most evident at offensive line.

I would go after an affordable swing lineman like Ty Nsekhe. His PFF grade is actually decent, and he's been part of our team before. Another decent-looking option is Josh Wells of Jacksonville.

Tight end is one more people have talked about and probably most people's favorite is Jesse James. There's also Nick Boyle as another young option. Beyond that? Not much other than a couple of older, bigger names already mentioned.

Not many impact receivers are out there either, and the guys that do exist are mainly slot receivers. I don't see the Saints paying big money to a slot receiver since we use Kamara and others in the slot so much. Those guys are Adam Humphries and Cole Beasley.

How's this for a wild idea? Cut Coleman and sign Kenny V for less. I expect that ship has sailed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us move on from Coleman. With no more than what he plays, it's a waste of cap space to pay him what we do.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in Benny Cunningham at RB for depth. We pursued him last year but he signed with the Bears. They seem to have phased him out for this undrafted Mizzell guy who I don't think is very good, but they clearly do.

Some seem to think we should upgrade from Tyeler Davison. I am not one of those people, but the only names that jump to me are Darius Philon and Rodney Gunter (unless we want to pursue Suh again or steal big $ Grady Jarrett from the Falcons). Danny Shelton is another name; remember, we almost drafted him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)