2020 and 2024 (1 Viewer)

Higher

Very Banned
Reaction score
Who is on the bench for the democrats for the next presidential election cycle? The republicans have a pretty good stock of candidates( not saying any of them can or will win) with Rubio, Cruz and a few others. The democrats seem to be getting very old in their bench so just curious who you guys think may be the front runners next time for the left.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Corey Booker (front runner I think)
Elizabeth Warren
Kamala Harris
Kirsten Gillibrand

I think unless Biden pulls an absolute shocker and decides to run, the front runners will be Booker and Warren. I really like Corey Booker a lot, and I think he and Warren would be a tough combo to beat. Either way, I think Democrats should have a solid contender in four years. It'll be interesting to see the state of affairs and what we'll be talking about then.

ETA: Just read an article that Biden has "no intention" of running in 2020. Whether he changes his mind or not, it may be a good thing to get some new blood in there a l a Obama in 08.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually think the Dem's will have a big field in 2020.

I think Kirsten Gillibrand is going to gear up for a run.

I also think Elizabeth warren, Booker and Kaine are all likely.

Watch Chris Murphy. He'd have some work to do over the next 4 years to make a name for himself that has general election clout, but like Gillibrand he may be thinking about his four year plan right now.

The kind of longshot but highly possible candidates are Mark Cuban and Mark Warner. Both of those will depend on how successful Trump is. If he succeeds, the Dems will look for a "better business person" candidate to run against him. Cuban and Warner are about all I can see them pulling for that.

SaintsfannMI

Rookie
Reaction score
Me...Vote Toups for a New America and a Saints Dynasty. If I win the presidency, the Saints will go 16-0 and win the Superbowl gauranteed for 8 years. And Goodell will be fired.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gillibrand would be fun. A Bluedog Dem who voted to defund sanctuary cities and against the bank bailouts. She has high marks from the NRA, which I'm sure they will immediately reverse on but she can run on the record, and has co-sponsored quite a bit of legislation with Republicans.

It would be interesting to see how the Republicans would go after her.

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Gillibrand would be fun. A Bluedog Dem who voted to defund sanctuary cities and against the bank bailouts. She has high marks from the NRA, which I'm sure they will immediately reverse on but she can run on the record, and has co-sponsored quite a bit of legislation with Republicans.

She sounds a lot like Tulsi Gabbard from Hawaii... But yes, the field will be stacked in 2020.

brockmeaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

These people called John Bel Edwards, one of the most conservative Democrats you'd ever want to meet, an "Obama liberal" during the last gubernatorial election in Louisiana. We're in post-fact America. They can pretty much go after her however they want, true or not, and enough people won't doubt it because anybody calling it false will be portrayed as part of some evil liberal mainstream media conspiracy. 2016 showed us a whole new playbook. Things won't ever be the same.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd vote for Tulsi if she ran. Gillibrand as well. Probably would vote for any fairly middle of the road Democrat or Republican. We really need someone not beholden to the extreme wings of either party.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
These people called John Bel Edwards, one of the most conservative Democrats you'd ever want to meet, an "Obama liberal" during the last gubernatorial election in Louisiana. We're in post-fact America. They can pretty much go after her however they want, true or not, and enough people won't doubt it because anybody calling it false will be portrayed as part of some evil liberal mainstream media conspiracy. 2016 showed us a whole new playbook. Things won't ever be the same.
Well, to be fair, that's certainly not the case for all Republicans. Myself included. I'm not a typical Republican though, but it would be nice if there were more like me willing to throw out the parts of the platform that really brings the party into right field instead of closer to the middle where most people actually live.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't get the appeal of Elizabeth Warren at all
It's the same appeal as Bernie and, for a segment of his voters, Trump.

All three of them say things that nobody else in the political arena are willing to say. All three of them are incredibly effective at attacking their enemies with language and aggressiveness you don't usually see. All three of them, right or not, feel authentic to different segments of voters.

brockmeaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, that's certainly not the case for all Republicans. Myself included. I'm not a typical Republican though, but it would be nice if there were more like me willing to throw out the parts of the platform that really brings the party into right field instead of closer to the middle where most people actually live.
I totally agree. But on November 11, the Republican party taught me to never underestimate the power of the fringe element, and the results of this election have only emboldened the embrace of that ideology, not spurned it. Honestly, I'm kind of impressed by the whole thing. Seriously. Their agenda since election day 2008 was "obstruct, obstruct, obstruct." They did everything in their power to break the government because they didn't want to work with Obama, then they ran on a platform of "the government is broken, let us fix it." The long-term scope of that either had to be completely accidental or totally genius. They beat Hillary Clinton with Donald freaking Trump on the back of a story about emails in which most people angry about it can't explain it. The Democrats swung at every single thing that Trump said that was uncouth, but none of it really stuck because there was almost literally something new (and seemingly worse) every week. The Republicans and Trump, on the other hand, stuck with Hillary's emails for the entire campaign. For a campaign that was lampooned for being undisciplined, they actually showed REMARKABLE discipline in keeping Hillary's email scandal at the forefront, and they should be sending James Comey Christmas cards for the timing of his letter.

I also think you can get ready for that history to repeat. They're going to repeal the ACA but delay enacting the effects of doing that until after midterm elections, and when they don't have a plan in place by November 2018, they're going to pound Democrats with a message of "these guys won't work with us to come up with a plan so it's their fault you're about to lose your insurance," and it's probably going to work like gangbusters.

I know this is all very cynical, and not totally on topic, but I cannot overstate this: the 2016 election changed the way I view politics forever. I don't think any of us have ever experienced anything like that, and I will never walk into a voting booth with the blinders of naivety ever again.

DJ1BigTymer

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I see your Rubio and Cruz and raise you the following:

Cory Booker - US Sen NJ
Tulsi Gabbard - US Rep HI
Kamala Harris - CA AG
Andrew Cuomo - NY Gov
Elizabeth Warren - US Sen MA
Julian Castro - US Sec HUD
Joaquin Castro - US Rep TX

and others.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think booker is everyones favorite at the moment

I do like the Castros

Would let gov of California Gavin newsome be a possibility?

Martin o malley?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get the appeal of Elizabeth Warren at all
Honestly, I think she's a great Senator, but I don't think she'd be a great president. She's very good on the financial sector, due to a lot of work on bankruptcy law, wills, etc. She's willing to go to bat for citizens. She calls people on their crap, but the difference is she's very intelligent about it.

The appeal is that she's a very good, vocal senator, who comes off as very direct and honest.

However, Warren is 67 years old now, will be 70-71 during the next election. Her window is closed. She's only been in politics since 2012 (as a senator), but she was an active voice for decades.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom