Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/states-sue-u-over-census-151424162.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A group of U.S. states and cities sued the Trump administration to stop it from asking people filling out 2020 census forms whether they are citizens.

The lawsuit by 17 states, Washington D.C. and six cities challenged what they called last week's "unconstitutional and arbitrary" decision by the U.S. Department of Commerce, which oversees the Census Bureau, to add the citizenship question.

It was also a fresh challenge to what New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, at a press conference announcing the lawsuit, called the administration's "anti-immigrant animus."

All of the states bringing the case have Democratic attorneys general.

They were joined by New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Providence, Rhode Island, which all have Democratic mayors, and the U.S. Conference of Mayors. Another state, California, filed a similar lawsuit last week.

The White House and the Commerce Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Required under the U.S. Constitution, the decennial census is used to determine the drawing of political boundaries, the allocation of seats in Congress and at the state and local level, and the annual distribution of about $700 billion of federal funds.

Critics of the citizenship question say it might dissuade immigrants, and perhaps many citizens, from being counted, with a disproportionate impact on Democratic-leaning states.

Supporters of the question, including Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, say it will help the country enforce the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965.

A citizenship question has not appeared in the census since 1950.

The lawsuit accused the Trump Administration of violating the Constitution's requirement that the government conduct an "actual enumeration" of the "whole number of persons" every 10 years.

At the press conference, Schneiderman called the citizenship question a "blatant effort" by the administration to prevent the Census Bureau from doing its job.
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/03/599159295/17-states-7-cities-sue-to-remove-2020-census-citizenship-question

the NPR link includes the 54 page complaint.

I guess I'll ask the question. Is it a big deal to add this question? What's the concern? That non citizens won't fill it out at all, thus not be counted?

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think that illegal immigrants deserve less representation than slaves?
They don’t deserve any representation. We brought slaves here and made them work slave didn’t sneak in the country to work on plantations.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
Do you think that illegal immigrants deserve less representation than slaves?
Illegal immigrants don't deserve any representation when it comes to elected officials.. unless you believe that illegal aliens should be allowed to vote in US elections.

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems people are talking about two different things to me. Merely counting everyone who lives in a district doesn’t give them a vote or any representation in any real sense.

To me, the purpose of the census is to accurately gauge the population in every part of the US. Whatever can be done to make an accurate count should be done. It’s hard to make decisions about infrastructure without knowing how many people will be using said infrastructure, for example. For our elected officials to be effective they need good data to make their decisions.

To throw a hissy fit about getting an accurate count seems really odd. People who get counted don’t get any real benefit other than a better informed government.

It’s better to know than to not know.

Krodwhodat

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It seems people are talking about two different things to me. Merely counting everyone who lives in a district doesn’t give them a vote or any representation in any real sense.

To me, the purpose of the census is to accurately gauge the population in every part of the US. Whatever can be done to make an accurate count should be done. It’s hard to make decisions about infrastructure without knowing how many people will be using said infrastructure, for example. For our elected officials to be effective they need good data to make their decisions.

To throw a hissy fit about getting an accurate count seems really odd. People who get counted don’t get any real benefit other than a better informed government.

It’s better to know than to not know.
I think what is being said is that the number of reps you have in DC is based on population of citizens for each state. so places like CA, or NY even TX could lose a few reps if there is a large percentage of non citizens that can be determined or that don't participate. while it doesn't seem like a big deal it is if you are holding on to a majority in the House and after the census you lose 3 reps in CA and 3 in NY then that's a huge swing

OP
OP
Saint_Ward

Saint_Ward

The Great Eye is ever Watchful
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We already have a lot of trouble getting people to participate in the census. Why make it more difficult to get participation? What could be the benefit of simply knowing whether a person is a citizen? It really doesn’t affect the purpose of the census at all.

With the current nationalism running rampant through this administration, they don’t deserve to have this looked at benignly. They have earned the mistrust.
I don't need the guberment knowing how many people are in my house..

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Why are people talking about the census like it would give an illegal immigrant a right to vote? All it does is accurately count the number of people actually living in every district for the purposes of accurately funding the infrastructure and other day to day needs of human beings living in each district. Not having an accurate count would put an unnecessary strain on every tax paying citizen nationwide. (Illegals who work here also pay taxes but can't get a refund like citizens can. That is, of course, if they're not working for slave wages under the table to rebuild cities after natural disasters - you know, like the home of our New Orleans Saints.) Even if a certain district were to gain a seat in Congress because of a dense population of illegal immigrants, it isn't like those illegal immigrants would be able to do anything in the process of electing said representative, so I don't see what the hubbub is all about.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To what should be no ones surprise, it's been uncovered through court filings today that Trump/Republicans want the citizenship question added to the census to help them gerrymander more effectively and to reduce the political power of Latino voters. Just like I and I many others assumed they where doing. And it was proposed by a Republican redistricting strategist, no less.

But I'm guessing the SC won't even consider that when the 5-conservative majority eventually votes to allow the question on the census.

A major Republican redistricting strategist played a role in the Trump administration's push to get a citizenship question on forms for the 2020 census.

Thomas Hofeller, who died last August, concluded in a 2015 report that adding the question would produce the data needed to redraw political maps that would be "advantageous to Republicans and Non-Hispanic Whites," according to a court filingreleased Thursday.

Plaintiffs in one of the New York-based lawsuits over the question say that Hofeller later ghostwrote an early draft of the administration's request for the question and helped form a reason for adding the question to forms for the national head count.

The Trump administration has maintained it wants census responses to the question — "Is this person a citizen of the United States?" — to better enforce Voting Rights Act protections for racial and language minorities.

But Hofeller's documents uncovered through a separate lawsuit suggest administration officials were aware that including the question "would not benefit Latino voters, but rather would facilitate significantly reducing their political power," argue attorneys with the law firm Arnold & Porter, the ACLU and the New York Civil Liberties Union in a letter to U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman.
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/30/728232221/gop-redistricting-strategist-played-role-in-push-for-census-citizenship-question

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette SR News Page Articles 0