2020 Draft and Free agent Pass Rusher discussion thread (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Im really sorry that Im off to such a late start this year but I will be updating this thread as the offseason wears on.

My top target for the Saints at #24 right now is Alabama DE Tyrell Lewis. Lewis is a mixture of John Abraham, Randy Gregory, and Danielle Hunter.

Daniel Jeremiah currently ranks him at #49 but he is already making waves at the Senior Bowl and I expect him to blow up the combine like Montez Sweat #26 overall did a year ago.

Lewis has the long arms, speed and agility to eventually develop into a Demarcus Ware or John Abraham type player. Alabama used him a lot in coverage but he isnt even scratching the surface of his potential

More to come soon.

Last edited:
Notable reflection on last year's draft:

The rookie with the highest Sack Total last year was Maxx Crosby. Crosby's 10 sacks were more than Nick Bosa and Clellin Ferrell had as the #2 and #4 overall picks.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, Crosby also had the highest SPARQ-to-Production ratio in the draft last year including an exceptional build, 3 cone, and 40 time.

Early Candidates that I like to be the next Maxx Crosby include Alex Highsmith and Derrick Tuszka.

Tuszka reminds me of former NFL DE Chris Long.

With only 5 picks (no second rounder or 7th rounder) and based on pervious drafts its always BPA. With us trading up to take Davenport I'd be surprised if we go DE with any of our picks. We've also got Carl Granderson who flashed some last season. The BPA equation always messes up the projections and mocks.
I think we will sign a mid to low tier FA to platoon with Davenport.

Notable reflection on last year's draft:

The rookie with the highest Sack Total last year was Maxx Crosby. Crosby's 10 sacks were more than Nick Bosa and Clellin Ferrell had as the #2 and #4 overall picks.

Perhaps not so coincidentally, Crosby also had the highest SPARQ-to-Production ratio in the draft last year including an exceptional build, 3 cone, and 40 time.

For me it’s the 3 cone that’s the key, SPARQ can be overrated, just my $.02

With only 5 picks (no second rounder or 7th rounder) and based on pervious drafts its always BPA. With us trading up to take Davenport I'd be surprised if we go DE with any of our picks. We've also got Carl Granderson who flashed some last season. The BPA equation always messes up the projections and mocks.
I think we will sign a mid to low tier FA to platoon with Davenport.

PFF has Adrian Clayborn, Matt Judon, and Shaq Lawson as low level free agents who cam make an impact like Alex Okafor.

So here are the Interior Pass Rushers / 3-technique - 2-technique players I have on my radar

Guys that will go well before the Saints are picking: Derrick Brown, Javon Kinlaw, AJ Epenesa (edge prospect but has taken snaps inside)

Guys with Late Round 1 potential - Neville Gallimore, Raekwon Davis, Ross Blacklock, Justin Madubuike,

also keep an eye out for Marlon Davidson from Auburn, he's a Big edge similar to Davenport but some teams project him as being more of an Interior player.

Edge players: late 1st guys? Yetur Gross-Matos, Curtis Weaver, Julian Okwara, Zack Baun.

I think the Saints will stay true to form and attempt to fill holes in free agency, leaving them free to select the best player available; unless, of course, they fall in love with a particular player for whom they are willing to trade up. DE might not be the most pressing need the team has but I believe the player picked at 24 will have more pressure upon him to contribute since the Saints don't have a 2nd round selection. If Terrell Lewis is the player who can provide more production, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have another DE for the rotation.
Nice find!

Last edited:
I think the Saints will stay true to form and attempt to fill holes in free agency, leaving them free to select the best player available; unless, of course, they fall in love with a particular player for whom they are willing to trade up. DE might not be the most pressing need the team has but I believe the player picked at 24 will have more pressure upon him to contribute since the Saints don't have a 2nd round selection. If Terrell Lewis is the player who can provide more production, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have another DE for the rotation.
Nice find!
Terrell flashed a few really good positives above:

1) a Gallette-esque spin move
2)bending the arc
3)superb speed-stunt combo
4)straight up bull rush inside against A&M.

When a guy that long can win both inside and outside you have extreme potential as a pressure rusher.

Been looking for your thread this year haha. Yeah it's kinda hard to see us going DE with that pick with Davenport, I agree it would make sense and provide insurance with Dav's toe but that's alot of draft capital invested in one position. A speedy LB may be a strong possibility here imo

Been looking for your thread this year haha. Yeah it's kinda hard to see us going DE with that pick with Davenport, I agree it would make sense and provide insurance with Dav's toe but that's alot of draft capital invested in one position. A speedy LB may be a strong possibility here imo
Been baby mama drama the past 4 years that has disrupted my draft obsession of spamming the forum with all things draft.

It gets harder every year but hopefully next year will be different.

Don't worry.

I'll likely have all 400 or so prospects broken down here by april to the best of my ability.

As for Lewis, he is the perfect player to groom beind an ageing Cameron Jordan and oft-injured Davenport on a 4-5 year rookie deal.

Does he have a long history of injuries? I pre Davis, as I think he and Rankins would be able to rotate.

Senior Bowl update:

4 stanout Pass Rushers in the game

Bradley Anae, Utah (in on 3 sacks and a pressure for an int)

Josh Uche, Michigan 1 sk, nearly 2, forced int

Anae and Uche article on dominating the game below

Alton Robinson, Syracuse (2 sacks)

Kenny Willekes, Michigan st., ( 2 sacks)

After watching the Senior Bowl im convinced that Josh Uche might have played his way into rd 1 and might also be a consideration for the #24 pick. He had 2 sacks and the most hurries/impact plays (6) of all of the defensive linemen.

Uche is indeed undersized but compares favorably to players like Dee Ford, Shaquil Barrett, Von Miller, and Robert Mathis as a 3rd down pass rusher but as a linebacker he is every bit as fierce as Demario Davis.

I had no idea how athletic he was but i was floored by a couple of plays in this game

At 3:08 he peels off in zone to cover one of the fastest wrs in the draft in Hamler and breaks up the pass

At 3:51 he showcases exceptional closing speed to take the qb down behind the LOS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom