2020 Draft and Free agent Pass Rusher discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Uche definitely rose his stock drastically at the senior bowl; I don't know if he will go all the way up to 1st round status though.. because there are still concerns about his size, bit tweenerish, is he a situational 3rd down rusher? Can he play off-ball Backer (for 3-4 teams)? He didn't have much experience dropping into coverage at Michigan.

I think as far as pure edge guys go I still have: Young, Epenesa, Chaisson, Matos, Terrell Lewis with a first round grade.

I think Uche can move into that 2nd tier with Julian Okwara, Curtis Weaver, and Bradlee Anae.

Bradlee Anae dominated that game as well, He is the best Hand-technician rusher in this draft. Already uses veteran counter moves to win off the edge, that will translate well at the next level despite him maybe not having the ideal reach, arm length. He definitely has moved himself easily into Round 2 discussion.

I wouldn't mind if the Saints took any of the North pass rushers to bolster Edge depth, Anae, Uche, Alton Robinson from Syracuse, or Kenny Willekes from Mich. St. They all showed great pass rush potential Senior Bowl week.

Last edited:
Another under-the-radar name to consider from the Senior Bowl as well is Davon Hamilton

Hamilton was the best interior lineman all game. He controlled the LOS and could not be moved from the point of attack. He required a constant double team or he would collape the pocket back on the QB.

I wouldn't rule out a DT like Hamilton with Onyematta as FA and with Rankins' injury.

Interior pressure isnt talked about much but He is a name to watch in rd 3

Last edited:
Uche definitely rose his stock drastically at the senior bowl; I don't know if he will go all the way up to 1st round status though.. because there are still concerns about his size, bit tweenerish, is he a situational 3rd down rusher? Can he play off-ball Backer (for 3-4 teams)? He didn't have much experience dropping into coverage at Michigan.

I think as far as pure edge guys go I still have: Young, Epenesa, Chaisson, Matos, Terrell Lewis with a first round grade.

I think Uche can move into that 2nd tier with Julian Okwara, Curtis Weaver, and Bradlee Anae.

Bradlee Anae dominated that game as well, He is the best Hand-technician rusher in this draft. Already uses veteran counter moves to win off the edge, that will translate well at the next level despite him maybe not having the ideal reach, arm length. He definitely has moved himself easily into Round 2 discussion.

I wouldn't mind if the Saints took any of the North pass rushers to bolster Edge depth, Anae, Uche, Alton Robinson from Syracuse, or Kenny Willekes from Mich. St. They all showed great pass rush potential Senior Bowl week.
I'd be willing to bet that after the combine and proday he will rise to round one.

Von Miller, Robert Mathis, and Dee Ford were similar size/speed talents. Miller was 6'1.5 246lbs, 4.53 40, 4.70 3 cone.

Both Dee Ford and Miller both saw their draft stock shoot up after similar Senior Bowls.

If Uche Runs in the 4.4-4-5 range and crushes the 3 cone and press at the combine then I can see him going as high as ford did at #23.

Sorry,

Correct Davon Hamilton link fixed above

For me it’s the 3 cone that’s the key, SPARQ can be overrated, just my $.02

Notable 3 cones for purposes of names mentioned above

Von Miller--4.70
Shaquil Barrett---4.90
Maxx Crosby---4.89
Junior Gallette---4.88
JJ and TJ Watt----4.84
Joey Bosa----4.77

Something to monitor during the combine

Does he have a long history of injuries? I pre Davis, as I think he and Rankins would be able to rotate.

He missed two seasons due to injury which might cause him to fall possibly to that 3rd rd range like Danielle Hunter.

Hunter already has 54 sacks and is only 25 years old

Notable 3 cones for purposes of names mentioned above

Von Miller--4.70
Shaquil Barrett---4.90
Maxx Crosby---4.89
Junior Gallette---4.88
JJ and TJ Watt----4.84
Joey Bosa----4.77

Something to monitor during the combine
I think you may have posted their 40 times.
Imho, a 3 cone time in under 7 seconds is key. Bosa had a 6.89 second. Harold Landry had a 6.88. Von Miller ran a 6.7. Joey Bosa ran a 6.89. Cam Jordan 7.07....Marcus Davenport 7.2

the average 3 cone time for a DE is 7.3 seconds and LB is 7.1

Last edited:
Pass rush? You lost faith in Marcus Davenport already. I think the trio of Jordan, Davenport, and T-Rex can be one of the better trios in the league.

I want either Henry Ruggs III, Jalen Reagor, Laviska Shenault Jr, Tee Higgins, or Justin Jefferson at 24. I think receiver should be the spot we take at 24 and preferably a speedster like Ruggs III or Reagor.

If we were to take defense at 24 I would prefer a linebacker unless a beast safety like Grant Delpit fell into our laps to allow us to let Vonn Bell walk in free agency. Someone like Kenneth Murray, Anfernee Jennings, or Patrick Queen would be good. Doubt Murray would fall that far and not sure if both Jennings or Queen isn’t a tad of reach at 24 though. I like Oregon’s Troy Dye in the 3rd or 4th with his size at 6’4” 225.

If not linebacker then a corner would maybe be the pick at 24, but I rather bring back Janoris Jenkins and PJ Williams to go with Lattimore, PRob, CGJ, and someone possibly later in the draft.

At 24 this draft screams receiver to me and they will have some good ones on the board. We could possibly move back to get another pick and still get a really good receiver since that position is really deep in this draft.

All this BS talk about trading up for Joe Burrow. If we were to trade up, Oklahoma’s LB Kenneth Murray would be the guy I would move up for in a heartbeat. Adding him with DeMario Davis would make our LB core really, really good. After Kenneth Murray and Isaiah Simmons the linebacker prospects take a HUGE nose dive. If he were to fall to the late teens I would see what it took to go up and get him

I wouldn’t be shocked if we sign LB Joe Schobert instead. Corey Littleton is a good LB to look at as well. I wouldn’t mind if we brought in a decent corner in free agency as well. They have a ton of decent safeties as well as corners in free agency.

My dream mock:

18. OU LB Kenneth Murray (trade 24 & 88, I would be willing to forgo our 3rd rounder if we could move up a few picks to get the heat seeking missile Murray)

4th: Miami WR Jeff Thomas (a speedster like Phillip Dorset that supposedly coach liked)

5th: La Tech CB L’Jarius Sneed (an in state corner to challenge for a spot)

6th: Edward Waters TE Mathew Wilkerson (never heard of that school, so I threw in the 6’6” 270 lb TE that played both ways at DE as well ?)

Last edited:
Pass rush? You lost faith in Marcus Davenport already. I think the trio of Jordan, Davenport, and T-Rex can be one of the better trios in the league.
I personally don't want an Edge rusher in Round 1. Unless it's significantly the Best Player Available on the board by a large margin.

but I am keeping in mind Davenport has suffered injuries in both of his first two seasons, and they usually happen towards the end of the season playoff run; and the pass rush just disappears after that. I like Hendrickson; as a back-up though. (think he's best when he plays 20-25 snaps not when he has to start)

Also the Saints don't really have that twitchy speed rusher off the edge; if Uche, or Alton Robinson fell to the 3rd round I wouldn't mind snagging them as value picks. Could improve the 3rd down rush package, could slide Davenport inside.

but generally I agree I would rather them address:
WR
LB
3-tech

first before getting a luxury edge rusher.

Updated:

Some pass rush names I have written down and ranked in Saints draft range so far are

DE

Terrell Lewis
Josh Uche
Reggie Walker (3.5 sacks in Hula bowl)
Steven Tuzska
Alex Highsmith
Bradlee Anae
Alton Robinson
Deonte Holden (Dominated Collegiate bowl)

Delonte Scott (35" Arms) 10 sacks
Niko Lalos (Co-MVP of Hula Bowl)

Chauncey Rivers DE (sack in Collegiate bowl)

Nasir Player (2 sacks Hula Bowl)

DT
Damien Hamilton
McTelvin Agiem
Tiar Tartt
Garrett Marino
Mosese Fifita

3-4 5tech
Trevon McSwain 6'6 ( 35" Arms 285lbs)
Terrance Harper 6'8 (34 7/8" Arms 308 lbs)

Last edited:
Finished watching the Hula bowl and Reggie Walker looks like a major Sleeper at DE.

He made 9 or 10 impact plays including 3.5 sacks in the game and looked like he belonged in the Senior Bowl instead of the Hula Bowl.

Elite first-step quckness off of the edge and dip-and-rip ability. Also changed direction impeccably well in space so I anticipate an excellent 3-cone for him.

Rex Ryan singled him out before the game and he was definitely the best player on the field.

Definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Shades of Junior Gallette

I think you may have posted their 40 times.
Imho, a 3 cone time in under 7 seconds is key. Bosa had a 6.89 second. Harold Landry had a 6.88. Von Miller ran a 6.7. Joey Bosa ran a 6.89. Cam Jordan 7.07....Marcus Davenport 7.2

the average 3 cone time for a DE is 7.3 seconds and LB is 7.1

Jordan and Davenport were both top 10 in pressure rate last year (at least 250 rushes). Quinn was first with a 7.13 3-cone.

So maybe just below 7.3 is enough.

Trevon Mcswain and Terrence Harper are the poor man's Javon Kinlaws of the draft but I wouldn't be surprised to see them finding significant roles as 3-4 DEs as they have prototype size and length.

Similar Players to Arik Armstead.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom