2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (2 Viewers)

Fitzgerald is a guy like Brees at this point, who takes each off-season year by year to decide whether to keep playing or not.

and his sentiment is that he will only want to play for Cardinals. He wants to be around to mentor the younger receivers, and he loves his QB Kyler Murray and wants to keep being a security option for him.

Kingsbury, and management both want Larry back; it's either going to be Retirement or play another Season for Arizona for Larry. He's not going anywhere else at this stage of his career he's heavily invested in the region, and just bought a share of the Phoenix Suns.
He already signed a 1 yr deal last week.

That's why i deleted the post

What do you guys know about Antonio gandy-golden? Small school kid out of Liberty

Duvernay didn't have any problem shredding LSU's secondary, did he? I think everyone here would agree that their defense and back 7 in particular was a pretty good measuring stick.

And yeah, you're right, the general consensus is that CJ is the guy to get. It is wrong. He plays slow in pads and is soft. He's the guy that has not shown anything against top-level competition. Duvernay has only been the man for a year, but he's shown time and time again that he steps up when it matters and against top-level competition. CJ is a mirage - he's a big athletic player where the measurables only translate against TCU and Baylor and their 2 star cornerbacks. He's the prospect that coaches and scouts fall in love with because of tangibles and measurables, while ignoring actual game tape. It happens every single year.

Almost his entire game in college was contested jump balls (because he isn't good at separating) where he beat a lesser CB. He's not going to face those lesser CBs in the NFL. He reminds me of that dude Dwayne Jarrett from USC that flamed out in the pros.

Duv will be the more successful NFL WR. I am almost sure of it.
Love love love love LOVE Duvernay

Smh. I swear, every single year we have this conversation. :rolleyes::cautious:
I'll say this again for the 100th time. In this offense, there is no #1, #2, #3 per se
Mike Thomas lines up at all three (SE/FL&Slot) Everything depends on the ever changing personnel groupings. This is not a conventional offense and everyone should know this by now... In any given game, Jared Cook could be the #2 receiving option or it could be Kamara. I understand that everybody wants a shiny new toy. I get it. I understand. But keep in mind, we finished the year at 13-3. Broke records and put up a ton of points against the league's best defenses without having this so-called #2 receiver ...

We have some young pups in house already. Kirkwood will have another year in the system as will T.Smith. Butler looked promising in camp also. Injuries are unfortunate but that's football. Also guys, don't forget that it takes most of these young players a year or two before they understand nuances of our complicated offense. MIKE THOMAS & MARQUES COLSTON ARE THE EXCEPTIONS, NOT THE RULE.

I'm excited to see the roles of our own young guys expand like Dante Harris. He could provide the juice that's been missing.

But the bottom line is that it wouldn't have mattered if we had Jerry Rice and Mike Irvin in their prime in that wildcard loss. Because Rice & Irvin didn't play O-line! The Oline, especially the interior Oline let us down. Every DC worth his salt knows the secret to beating the Saints is to pressure Brees. But not just any type of pressure, it's the A-gap, interior pressure that makes him look like an old man and causes him to throw ducks and make JV mistakes. That's where our focus needs to be.. Brees is fine and we have the weapons...

Smh. I swear, every single year we have this conversation. :rolleyes::cautious:
I'll say this again for the 100th time. In this offense, there is no #1, #2, #3 per se
Mike Thomas lines up at all three (SE/FL&Slot) Everything depends on the ever changing personnel groupings. This is not a conventional offense and everyone should know this by now... In any given game, Jared Cook could be the #2 receiving option or it could be Kamara. I understand that everybody wants a shiny new toy. I get it. I understand. But keep in mind, we finished the year at 13-3. Broke records and put up a ton of points against the league's best defenses without having this so-called #2 receiver ...

We have some young pups in house already. Kirkwood will have another year in the system as will T.Smith. Butler looked promising in camp also. Injuries are unfortunate but that's football. Also guys, don't forget that it takes most of these young players a year or two before they understand nuances of our complicated offense. MIKE THOMAS & MARQUES COLSTON ARE THE EXCEPTIONS, NOT THE RULE.

I'm excited to see the roles of our own young guys expand like Dante Harris. He could provide the juice that's been missing.

But the bottom line is that it wouldn't have mattered if we had Jerry Rice and Mike Irvin in their prime in that wildcard loss. Because Rice & Irvin didn't play O-line! The Oline, especially the interior Oline let us down. Every DC worth his salt knows the secret to beating the Saints is to pressure Brees. But not just any type of pressure, it's the A-gap, interior pressure that makes him look like an old man and causes him to throw ducks and make JV mistakes. That's where our focus needs to be.. Brees is fine and we have the weapons...

uhhhhhhhhh yes and no. We need talent at the WR position period. Whether that player is listed as a #2 or whatever in our sytem is irrelevant, the lack in talent remains and it is glaring outside of CGM. You are listing Kirkwood and Butler as if they are reliable proven Wr's and they are not. They will have one more year in the system yes but Butler hasn't played one down and Kirkwood hasn't established himself. T Smith has potential he just hasn't putten it together yet. I do like Harris and he will be more involved this year , but again you will see the FO address this position through FA and the draft watch.

I would argue if there is one position that the players are already in house is the position you are saying we should focus on, guard. Yes our interior line failed us vs Min, but these people saying we are going to get 2 new guards are talking fantasy. Reason number one Larry Warford isn't going anywhere and we would eat dead money if we parted with him, so he will be back, that kills the 2 new guards right there. Next is Peat who will probably be replaced and very well may be by Easton. Another player on the roster lol.

Last edited:
What do you guys know about Antonio gandy-golden? Small school kid out of Liberty
Good intermediate threat.

Big Target

Performed well at the Senior Bowl this week and even scored a TD in the game yesterday.

Speaking of the Senior Bowl

The following big wrs stood out with notable TDs.

Chase Claypool (Very impressive cross)
Antonio Gandy-Golden (Cross TD)
Dejuan James (slot post Td)

Chase Claypool's stock has risen dramatically over the past week after posting 66 catches for 1037 yds and 13 TDs last year at ND.

Claypool seems like the best of the 3 Big men and drew rave reviews from scouts all week like Debo Samuel last year. Claypool runs exceptional intermediate routes like Colston did from the slot.

Claypool is extremely good at adjusting to balls in the red zone and his body control/body type at 6'5 230lbs is very similar to Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans.

Claypool even had this 4 TD game vs Navy last year.

Last edited:
Chase Claypool lovefest continued:

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein named Claypool the "biggest winner" of the Senior Bowl practices.
"I really enjoyed watching Claypool on tape and couldn't wait to see him perform in person on the Senior Bowl stage. I was not disappointed, and neither were the NFL evaluators in attendance. Not only does he look the part of a big, imposing receiver, he showed off how fluid and natural he is with his movement. He snatched the ball away from his frame with strong hands and created separation using his size and athleticism. The easy comparison for him is former teammate Miles Boykin, who had the same type of size and explosiveness, but Boykin went to the Baltimore Ravens at the end of the third round in last year's draft. Claypool may not last that long now. I think he pushed himself into Round 2 this week."

"To the surprise of absolutely nobody who has watched him the last two seasons, Chase Claypool measured out about as well as he could possibly hope.
Claypool’s height of 6-4.3″ was the second-tallest of any wide receiver at the Senior Bowl while coming in at 229 pounds makes him the heaviest receiver participating this week.
He also measured out to have the second longest arms, biggest hands and the second widest wingspan of any receiver in Mobile.
Meeting the media ahead of practice, Claypool spoke about his physical nature on the field, his love for special teams and how football isn’t the only sport he’s talented at."

Sean Payton also loves big receivers that can and are willing to block

I agree wholeheartedly with your points regarding having a true 1 or true 2, as well as you point about the Oline being the problem in the playoffs. But those young pups you speak of had shown absolutely nothing to say they were going to step it up going into next year. We rolled the dice believing that at least one of them would. Going into another season we still have not seen a thing from them that we had going into last year. I would be willing to bet that SP will not roll that same pair of dice. If they beat out somebody in training camp so be it. But we are bringing in talent, there is no question about that. I mean, if they didn't think we need more talent at the position, would we have even let the likes of AB walk around with his entourage on Airline? No, I don't think so.

Image result for mandalorian I have spoken

Claypool uses his body very well in the redzone to shield away defenders but is a much better route runner than his size would first indicate.

Chase Claypool 7 rec, 146 yds, td in final game vs Iowa St.

6 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD vs UGA

8 rec, 118 yds vs Virginia Tech

5 rec 94 yds vs Louisville

Last edited:
There is a WR getting zero hype who could probably be drafted day 2 or day 3 and he'll play from day 1 in SP's system.

Austin Mack out of Ohio St. He is 6'2" 215lbs and essentially a MT clone. He arrived the year after MT left. I had planned to do more research before posting, but I haven't had time. As a recruit he had a high football IQ, learned the play book fast and does all of the things SP looks for WRs to do without the ball in their hands like route running and blocking. I think these strengths led to him not being featured as he was the do it all guy that allowed others to shine. In 2019 he caught 27/27 passes for a 100% catch rate, 361 yards and 3 TDs. I recommend watching the few highlight videos that are out there and you'll see whose game he molded his game after only Mack may be a little more exlposive/faster.

I need to go back and watch more Claypool video. I watched the Georgia game highlights and actually thought it was a lowlight video. I saw a guy going soft over the middle alligator arming passes and a guy who wanted no part of blocking. Maybe it was just the level of competition and he wanted no part of the Georgia DBs. I stopped the video and thought no way on this guy. That was just Georgia DBs, what's he going to do against NFL DBs? I'll give him another chance and go back and watch more since he seems to be getting hyped.

There is a WR getting zero hype who could probably be drafted day 2 or day 3 and he'll play from day 1 in SP's system.

Austin Mack out of Ohio St. He is 6'2" 215lbs and essentially a MT clone. He arrived the year after MT left. I had planned to do more research before posting, but I haven't had time. As a recruit he had a high football IQ, learned the play book fast and does all of the things SP looks for WRs to do without the ball in their hands like route running and blocking. I think these strengths led to him not being featured as he was the do it all guy that allowed others to shine. In 2019 he caught 27/27 passes for a 100% catch rate, 361 yards and 3 TDs. I recommend watching the few highlight videos that are out there and you'll see whose game he molded his game after only Mack may be a little more exlposive/faster.

I need to go back and watch more Claypool video. I watched the Georgia game highlights and actually thought it was a lowlight video. I saw a guy going soft over the middle alligator arming passes and a guy who wanted no part of blocking. Maybe it was just the level of competition and he wanted no part of the Georgia DBs. I stopped the video and thought no way on this guy. That was just Georgia DBs, what's he going to do against NFL DBs? I'll give him another chance and go back and watch more since he seems to be getting hyped.
Mack has been mentioned once in this thread I believe.

The problem with these Claypool videos are

1) you really have to watch them all the way to the end to see what the hype is about because they start off slow. ND only seemed to get him involved late in games for whatever reason.

2) you really can't get a true picture of his talent at times because their qb is fighting heavy pressure from the oline at times. Similar to the same mistake I made in assessing AJ Brown last year because of the poor play of Jordan Tiamu.

Against UGA i saw a pretty nifty TD where he shielded a defender off entirely on a comeback with his huge frame.

He also had a nice back shoulder catch that I saw.

3) They are playing corners 5-10 yards over the top some plays to make sure he doesn't get deep.

Just my 2 cent observations.

After this strong week of practice if he runs in the 4.45-4.5 range at the combine people could be talking about him as another Mike Evans because he isnt as bulky and runs much better routes than say a Kelvin Benjamin.

At the very least I can definitely see him developing into another Marques Colston.

His 13 TDs last year was more than Mike Evans had his final year at A & M

Mack has been mentioned once in this thread I believe.

The problem with these Claypool videos are

1) you really have to watch them all the way to the end to see what the hype is about because they start off slow. ND only seemed to get him involved late in games for whatever reason.

2) you really can't get a true picture of his talent at times because their qb is fighting heavy pressure from the oline at times. Similar to the same mistake I made in assessing AJ Brown last year because of the poor play of Jordan Tiamu.

Against UGA i saw a pretty nifty TD where he shielded a defender off entirely on a comeback with his huge frame.

He also had a nice back shoulder catch that I saw.

3) They are playing corners 5-10 yards over the top some plays to make sure he doesn't get deep.

Just my 2 cent observations.

After this strong week of practice if he runs in the 4.45-4.5 range at the combine people could be talking about him as another Mike Evans because he isnt as bulky and runs much better routes than say a Kelvin Benjamin.

At the very least I can definitely see him developing into another Marques Colston.

His 13 TDs last year was more than Mike Evans had his final year at A & M

I thought I saw Mack mentioned on the forum before.

Thanks for the heads up on Claypool. I am going to go back and watch more videos on him.

Good intermediate threat.

Big Target

Performed well at the Senior Bowl this week and even scored a TD in the game yesterday.
Thanks NO for the info. James Jones was talking about him before the gm yesterday. Says he could sneak into the first round but I never heard of him

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom