2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (1 Viewer)

Word on the streets is that Claypool is fully embracing a move to Tight End, and is going to continue to try and add some weight and bulk up.

Might be a smart move considering how deep the WR class is and how shallow the TE class is.

Last edited:
The crop of WRs that could separate themselves with a big combine is massive this year. Such a good group already and I would expect so many of this class to play meaningful snaps next season. As for the guys outside of round 1 consideration that I am most excited for in the mid-rounds, I can’t wait to see Lynn Bowden’s agility and KJ Hill’s straight line speed. Both will be big in determining how high those two go.

Im compiling a list of potential #2 Wrs for the coming free agency period after washouts like Cameron Meridith, TreQuan Smith, Dez Bryant, Ted Ginn jr, Keith KirkWood, and Emmanuel Butler haven't yet successfully filled the position.

Im of the opinion that the Saints are one or two great players away and need to go all in on a couple of superstars this offseason.

#2 wr has been the biggest hole on the team besides cornerback depth and that needs to change so without further ado the top two names on my Free agent list are:

1) Amari Cooper
2) Breshard Perriman

top available 2020 draft options:

1)Ceedee Lamb, Oklahoma
2)Leviska Shenault, Colorado
3)Jalen Reagor, TCU
4)Bryan Edwards, South Carolina
5)Michael Pittman JR, USC
4) Tee Higgins, Clemson
5)Chase Claypool, Notre Dame
7)David Mims, Baylor
The biggest hole on the team is LG and it's not even close. I do respect that you put yourself out there with those takes, though. They're pretty spicy.

I don't see the Saints signing a FA big contributor at WR simply because there aren't any available. They're not going to overpay and the pool is thin after the top couple guys. The best hope is that a drafted player develops quickly, CJ gets after Trequan's *** and Kirkwood continues to build on his rookie year when he gets healthy.

I think the saints will not only look at the needs for this year. By now, they should have a very good idea of players that will be gone next year by better contracts.

I can see the saints preparing with the late picks in order to add depth for 2021.

Now, this is a special class of wide receivers. We should take the opportunity. I will be very happy if we decide to pick two receivers in this draft class.

Receiver is an expensive position, if we can get 9 years of rookie contracts out of the position, I am very happy about it.

I don't see the Saints signing a FA big contributor at WR simply because there aren't any available.

Free agent receivers will be disappointed with the offers they will be getting. Maybe there will be a chance for a bargain one year deal for us to take.

I mean, if you want to gamble on a one year deal, can't think on a better place to do so.

Free agent receivers will be disappointed with the offers they will be getting. Maybe there will be a chance for a bargain one year deal for us to take.

I mean, if you want to gamble on a one year deal, can't think on a better place to do so.
Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Here is my uneducated view of how things shake out. First, Amari Cooper and AJ Green are off the table. The Cowboys and Bengals cannot afford to lose them. Robby Anderson is probably off the table as well since the Jets will want to hold onto their sole offensive weapon in the passing game.

Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman are no better than the inconsistent players already on the roster but more expensive than Kirkwood, Quan, etc.

Randall Cobb, Sammy Watkins (if he's cut) and Emmanuel Sanders are all solid possibilities. My feeling is that they will cost more than the Saints will offer, barring significant injuries. I can see both of them sitting at home until close to the start of the season before they pick their teams. Even then, they're not going to carry their weight, IMO. Watkins and Sanders have incentive to remain with their current teams.

After those guys you're left with Demarcus Robinson, Devin Funchess, Cory Coleman, Paul Richardson, Hakeem Grant, Taylor Gabriel, Tavon Austin, Russell Shephard, etc and none of those guys are very appealing as an upgrade.

Chances are very good that the Saints only add a WR from the draft to this team and will depend upon the same cast of characters.

Was watching some Anthony Gordon film and I like these 3 WR's . Gordon threw over 500 yards to 7 different players.

Receiving g no. yds Borghi, Max 597
Winston, Easop 970
Arconado, B, 1109
Patmon, Dezmon 762
Bell, Renard 579
Harris, Travell 536
Martin, Tay 564

Easop Winston

Brandon Arconado

Dezmon Patmon

Height: 6-3 6/8 Weight: 225 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 32 6/8 Wingspan: 78

Was watching some Anthony Gordon film and I like these 3 WR's . Gordon threw over 500 yards to 7 different players.

Receiving g no. yds Borghi, Max 597
Winston, Easop 970
Arconado, B, 1109
Patmon, Dezmon 762
Bell, Renard 579
Harris, Travell 536
Martin, Tay 564

Easop Winston

Brandon Arconado

Dezmon Patmon

Height: 6-3 6/8 Weight: 225 Hand: 10 2/8 Arm: 32 6/8 Wingspan: 78

Patmon has some very favorable physical traits. His grade is at a 3 without factoring projected round and any agility/speed/explosiveness attributes. He is someone I wanted to look into.

NameTeamRoundHeightWeightRelative Body SizeHand Size
Patmon, DezmonWash St.
75.6​
225​
2.98​
10.25​

After Donovan Peoples-Jones showing at the combine and with him being a 5 Star WR recruit, where are his projections now? I know he didn't have the best career in terms of numbers, but I don't believe his ability was ever in question. Just going off his physical measurables, he grades out as almost a perfect WR without factoring in his 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone, which I do not have. DPJ on the same field with MT would be nasty for defenses to have to defend.

College averages (3 seasons):
34 rec/season
442 yds/season
4.7 TDs/season

I found this breakdown of DPJ and the comparisons and what this guy could do at the next level is very intriguing. FWIW, the entire video is not a bad watch. He comps Justin Jefferson to Devante Adams which is not a bad comp for him.

Reagor was even 8lbs heavier than OBJ.

Let's see how he stacks up vs his 39" vertical, 3 cone and 40.

I remember that there was controversy over OBJ's 40 and many really thought that he actually ran a 4.31.

If he matches all of those numbers than Reagor can potentially also set himself up to match all OBJ's historic rookie season numbers as well.

The numbers don’t matter. Reagor doesn’t have Beckham’s fluidity, route running, and hands. Even if somehow he put up similar combine numbers I wouldn’t believe that he’s be the same player. He looks closer to Cobb/Cooks than Beckham.

It's slim pickings at WR in the free agent market. Some people like Perriman but I'm leery of him. He put up decent numbers for the Bucs last season but his career catch percentage is 48.7%. To put that into perspective Ted Ginn has a career percentage of 54.2 and he's never been known for his hands.

Perriman is still young, he has good size and speed. There's a lot to like but catching the football is pretty important in SP's offense.

Last edited:
It's slim pickings at WR in the free agent market. Some people like Perriman but I'm leery of him. He put up decent number for the Bucs last season but his career catch percentage of 48.7%. To put that into perspective Ted Ginn has a career percentage of 54.2 and he's never been known for his hands.

Perriman is still young, he has good size and speed. There's a lot to like but catching the football is pretty important in SP's offense.

If we add 2 WRs this offseason, I would prefer them to be from the draft. I would even trade a future pick to get another pick in the mid/late rounds this season to grab a 2nd WR from this deep class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom