2020 Free agent & Draft Wide Receiver thread. (3 Viewers)

The numbers don’t matter. Reagor doesn’t have Beckham’s fluidity, route running, and hands. Even if somehow he put up similar combine numbers I wouldn’t believe that he’s be the same player. He looks closer to Cobb/Cooks than Beckham.
I don't have the energy for another marathon Reagor debate.

See the long-winded back and forths that I had in the "Saints looking at taking multiple wrs thread" for my thoughts on Reagor.

I will agree that at 206 he doesn't seem as fast as he was at 195 before he gained 10 lbs before the combine.

I also agree that he might not have Beckham's hands but I still think that Reagor is very underrated as a route-runner and is in the caliber of players like:

Terry Glenn
Kennan McCardell
Calvin Ridley
Or Amari Cooper.

Reagor is going to suprise a lot of folks in my opinion Just like Bryan Edwards.

Last edited:
His dad was a late bloomer also after being drafted by the Saints.

Players like Joe Horn and Jimmy Smith were too.

What is undeniable based on his film from last season is that he seems to have experienced some type of major breakthrough.

After Donovan Peoples-Jones showing at the combine and with him being a 5 Star WR recruit, where are his projections now? I know he didn't have the best career in terms of numbers, but I don't believe his ability was ever in question. Just going off his physical measurables, he grades out as almost a perfect WR without factoring in his 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone, which I do not have. DPJ on the same field with MT would be nasty for defenses to have to defend.

College averages (3 seasons):
34 rec/season
442 yds/season
4.7 TDs/season

I found this breakdown of DPJ and the comparisons and what this guy could do at the next level is very intriguing. FWIW, the entire video is not a bad watch. He comps Justin Jefferson to Devante Adams which is not a bad comp for him.
I had DPJ as a 3rd / 4th rounder.

I still think he's a 3rd rounder because there are more polished, and productive collegiate receivers in this class ahead of him.

I could see a team taking a gamble on him in the 2nd round, because of the athletic traits... but it would really depend on how he Interviews, Why wasn't he more productive with his athletic profile? and does it seem like he'll have the Work ethic to be a better pro... etc.

I still think he's a 3rd rounder because there are more polished, and productive collegiate receivers in this class ahead of him.

I could see a team taking a gamble on him in the 2nd round, because of the athletic traits... but it would really depend on how he Interviews, Why wasn't he more productive with his athletic profile? and does it seem like he'll have the Work ethic to be a better pro... etc.
If that doesn't pan out he could always try a position switch to safety or Corner.

It looks like he did what he was asked to do and performed when he got the ball. In the video I attached it starts right on the DPJ profile and I think the guy presented a good assessment of him.

With those 10" mitts and 44.5" vertical, he'll be snatching balls and housing them with his return ability as a safety.
His vertical is definitely reminiscent of other combine freak safeties like Gerald Sensabaugh, Ledarius Webb and Brian Jones in recent years.

But his 6'2 212lb frame, 4.48 40 and 33.5" arms might also make for a decent press cornerback as well.

It would be a shame to see all that athletic ability go to waste as a #4 receiver.

More pure athletes like Peoples-Jones should get a shot at multiple positions all over the roster just like Taysom Hill.

Im a huge Jalen Reagor fan/believer. But my favorite WR in this draft is Michael Pittman Jr. from USC. He'd a perfect fit in Sean Payton's O. The combine pretty much put a hush on his minor athletic concerns. He's not always pretty, but all this man does is get open and make plays. He can line up at the Jumbo Slot and on the outside all the same. He answered the call and totally embraced and excelled as USC's go to receiver. Pittman Jr. is an ascending talent whose best days are in front of him. He reminds me a lot of Marques Colston, but his testing numbers are closer to Mike Evans. I personally think he's the best kept secret of this years WR class. Would absolutely LOVE to see us land him at some point on Day 2.

Side note.

Some other 1990s wrs that Jalen Reagor reminds me of:

Terry Glenn
Kennan Mcardell
Frank Sanders
Darnay Scott
Antonio Freeman
Yancey Thigpin

He also reminds me a bit of Donald Driver.

His is a tough comparison for recent wrs so I have to dig back into the past.

Side note.

Some other 1990s wrs that Jalen Reagor reminds me of:

Terry Glenn
Kennan Mcardell
Frank Sanders
Darnay Scott
Antonio Freeman
Yancey Thigpin

He also reminds me a bit of Donald Driver.

His is a tough comparison for recent wrs so I have to dig back into the past.

Agreed...I think Reagor is a very, VERY, similar player to old school Terry Glenn. As for a modern day comp, I think Reagor is an explosive version of Manny Sanders.

A few notes on Saints and who they might be looking at free agency. Possible extensions.

The reports kind of confirm what I've been hearing.

Despite most of us here as fans thinking Wide Receiver is the number off-season priority to address the actual Staff and decision makers within the Saints feel differently supposedly.

From what I've gathered from different sources that were at the combine (*speculation)
-The Saints Number one priority this off-season: is Shoring up the Back 7. Both from a coverage, and fundamental stand point. Felt like there was just too many miscommunications back there over the last 3 seasons, which is inexcusable. Also want to pair DeMario with a more versatile force at Nickel Mike, and Base Sam.

- Second priority is Interior O-line particularly at the Guard spot. Feel like better more consistent pass protection is priority for Brees 20th season. Passing game falls apart when there's immediate pressure right up the middle. Not looking to replace Warford, but he is in last year of contract and has battled some injuries so just want an insurance plan.

So it seems like the way the actual Saints brass views their needs is - Off-Ball Linebacker, Interior OL (both Guard spots, possible starter at LG and just more high level depth, Secondary, quality DBs, and Safeties. (better technique, and Football IQ from secondary) a versatile Full-back, H-back inline blocker is also a need with the retirment of Line. (some murmurs that Payton is intent on taking a QB some where during this draft, might be mid - to late rounds; feels this is a perfect opportunity to get a young QB to groom in the building to learn and study Brees' work habits and also watch Taysom who has an excellent work ethic as well)

- #1 outside Free agent Target looks to be Patriots LB, Jamie Collins. (confirms what Holder is reporting) might be a slight market for Collins as New England would like to re-sign, but also Miami (Flores) Detroit (Patricia, and need LB help bad) are also expected to make plays on Collins. Fall-back options include Danny Trevathon, and Nick Kwiatkoski (who had really good 2019 film filling in for Trevathon) -- fan favorite target Joe Schobert's asking price expected to be too rich for Saints, rumored to be wanting $12+ mil per / year.. too much for Saints.

- Not what fans want to hear, but ... team feels like there won't be too much of a market for Andrus Peat, and they will likely bring him back on a cheap value contract. Still want to add competition, and depth in case of injury. (Saints have had a lot of injuries along O-line past few years) Possible secondary targets in Phase 2 of Free agency could include Graham Glasglow, Quinton Spain, and possibly Cordy Glenn who might be a cap cut. Saints will try and see if there's any way too fit Thuney as their big splash signing.. but not looking likely as Dolphins are expected to make huge play for him Day 1 of Free agency.. Dolphins have close to $90 mil in cap space, Bengals also expected to make big offer to Thuney.. they are going to try and gear the team around Burrow to show they are commited to him as their franchise QB.

- Team would like Vonn Bell back but there's a number that will be set, will be fair. Bell expected to be back as he loves teammates, city, and coaches; but if something falls through and he bolts for more money possible fallback options for Safety includes Karl Joseph, HaHa Clinton-Dix.. lower priced second tier Free agents but still have starting experience filling similar Box Safety roles, with blitz ability.

No where was WR mentioned there is a sense team is satisfied with their group of receivers and wants to continue developing some of their own guys... again not what fans want to hear.. but if the Decision makers and coaches feel this way, it's their evaluation they've watched all the tape, and graded, evaluated every player from every game and practice session...

Saints prioritized meeting with Grant Delpit at the combine, Saints also spent time interviewing Utah, RB Zack Moss, highly productive Senior 1-cut inside zone style rusher. Some believe good chance Saints looking to add a capable 3rd Running back in the mid rounds of draft, as Kamara's contract situation is up in the air.

(* take all this with a grain of salt as this is speculation from second hand sources that were at the Combine but all of these seem reasonable, guess we'll see in 2 weeks with Free agency coming up)

Last edited:
SuperKid , thinking about the same thing. Seems like the last few years we have been killed by the outside run, covering RB's, and the deep passing game. Brees hasn't been able to step up in the pocket like he use to. LBer, CB, FS, IOL, and WR( who can get quick separation). Can get a few of these in free agency.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom